PDA

View Full Version : 2007

Tinner
01-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Anybody hear any rumor about hosting the memorial cup in 2007?

One concern I have heard is about adding 3000 more seats, filling in the west end on the upper deck. Seems the Westerner is interested only if there is a successful bid. Aside from hockey, the expanded seating would bring in some bigger names for concerts and the like.

That said and if it happened, where would they find more room on the concourse for any more people than are there now!

Shinyshoes
01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Cant see it. If you talk to any of the Rebels Front office, They will immediatly say it wont happen. 1 reason. Sutter wants his boys to EARN their way to the cup. He feels if they cant win their way there, they dont deserve to be there. and on top of that, the westerner would either have to be already started, or starting soon to get the seats in before the 2006-2007 season.

Just to cover my a$$ though, With his kid (likely) to make the team next year, he may want Brandon (Sutter, not the wheat kings) to get the best chance of winning one.

Just the same, it would really surprise me.

tiny
01-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree with shinyshoes, I would be surprised if it happened. BUT I would be first in line to volunteer for another great event in Red Deer. i olved the World Juniors, Under 17 and the Winter Games. Bring it on.
:D

Rebel66
01-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm sure that Red Deer would host a perfect event as they always do. However, I'm not sure that I can see this one happening. Will the team be a viable contender in 2007? (Who knows?) One thing is for certain Brent Sutter would never mortgage the future to ensure that they were.

I know that they did bid for the cup before though and it would be absolutely great for Red Deer if it did end up coming here.

What I would prefer though is for the World Junior Championships to come back to Red Deer. That was just so great when the tourny was here. Unfortunately at that time it was only a round robin format, no final game, which was the one downer about the whole event.

Nature Boy
01-25-2005, 04:51 PM
That would be great if the Rebels got the 2007 Memorial Cup. I would be the first to get my tickets. Where did you hear this rumour? That would mean that seasons ticket holders would get first shot at tickets. I hope they do because that would be a great expierence for the young guys on this team.

D.A.
01-26-2005, 09:37 AM
My impression is that Sutter is anticipating having a very strong team for the 2006-07 year, so this may work out very well for a MemCup bid. The current crop of young defenders would be in their prime then...