PDA

View Full Version : Brule at Camp Updates

Beaner
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Brule netted 2 goals in the Blue Jackets vs. Wild Rookie game the other night.

rinkrat
09-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Good thread,Beaner!Here's the link...
http://www.bluejackets.com/news/press/arts/2542.0.html

Beaner
09-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Brule gathered another assist in the 2nd Rookie game, vs Tampa.

Interesting interview on the radio earlier today with a reporter from Columbus.

Basically they all like how Brule is looking right now, his chances to make the Jackets are still good, but everyone is waiting to see how he does when the NHL'ers come to camp.

Beaner
09-10-2005, 11:13 AM
from, http://www.bluejackets.com/news/press/arts/2548.0.html

The Blue Jackets rookies out-scored the Atlanta Thrashers rookies 5-1 over the final 33:00 of the game to earn a 7-4 come-from-behind victory at the Traverse City Rookie Tournament on Friday night. The Blue Jackets rookies improved to 3-0-0 in the tournament entering Saturday afternoon's finale against the Detroit Red Wings rookies.

The Blue Jackets jumped out to a 2-0 lead 5:00 into the game on special teams goals by Kirill Starkov (power-play) and Geoff Platt (shorthanded). The Thrashers tied the score with a pair of power-play goals later in the first period and took the lead on an even strength goal 1:59 into the second period.

Geoff Platt tied the score at the 7:13 mark of the middle period with his second shorthanded goal of the night. Gilbert Brule and Marc Methot drew assist. Platt then assisted on Kyle Wharton's power-play goal 2:12 later to put the Jackets up 4-3.

Gilbert Brule added an insurance goal late in the second period. Brule finished the game with 1-2-3 and a +3 plus-minus rating and has posted 2-3-5 through the first three games of the tournament.

Starkov netted his second of the game, an unassisted even strength goal at 14:14 of the third period. After Atlanta closed to within 6-4, Adam Pineault closed the scoring with a power-play goal at 19:00.

Some point adjustments for Brule over the 3 games but a darn good start to his first Pro-Camp. He has to be making a pretty good impression thus far, Doug Mclean must be pretty happy with his #1 pick so far.

rinkrat
09-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Here's an interview with Gilbert from bluejackets.com
ONE-ON-ONE WITH GILBERT BRULE
Filed 09.11.2005

BlueJackets.com recently caught up with 2005 First Round pick Gilbert Brule to talk about his Junior career, expectations for training camp, and the upcoming season.

CBJ.com: At what age did you start playing hockey?
Gilbert Brule: I started playing hockey at age four in Vancouver, BC.

CBJ.com: Is there one instance you can recall when you knew you were destined to be a hockey player?
GB: When I started playing in a league and I had lots of fun, then I wanted to play hockey. When I got drafted into the Western Hockey League then I knew I was going to start taking hockey more seriously.

CBJ.com: You led the WHL’s top 20 scorers in penalty minutes. How would you describe your style of play?
GB: I’m very physical and very emotional on the ice. I’m not afraid to shy away from hits or fighting, or anything like that. If it has to be done, I’ll do it.

CBJ.com: Which player on this year's Blue Jackets team are you most looking forward to playing with in the future?
GB: I’m just looking forward being on the team. I want to make it so bad; it’s obviously a goal of mine…a dream. I would be happy to meet anyone and I look forward to it.

CBJ.com: Many scouts have made the comparison between you and Sidney Crosby. How do you feel about that?
GB: I don’t think it’s fair to compare. I play a totally different game than he does. I’m a lot more physical and gritty and I like to stand up for myself on the ice. I think his game is a little different than that.

CBJ.com: Who were you favorite players growing up?
GB: Well I used to like Wayne Gretzky a lot when he was playing; he’s obviously an amazing player. But after that Joe Sakic was one of my favorites.

CBJ.com: Which current NHLer are you most looking forward to facing?
GB: I’d probably have to say Todd Bertuzi. He’s 245 pounds and I don’t know if I’ll be able to hit him.

CBJ.com: Five years from now, where do you see yourself?
GB: Hopefully playing for Columbus. Hopefully on a team that’s going to be competing for the Stanley Cup.

CBJ.com: A Gilbert Brule autographed 8x10 action shot goes for $74.99 on your official website, www.GilbertBruleAuthentic.com. What do you expect the same item will go for in two years?
GB: I hope it’s going to be worth more…a lot more.

CBJ.com: What drives you and motivates you? What makes you so competitive?
GB: I love to win and I love going on the ice and playing with guys that are like a family. When you win as a team it’s one of the best feelings, especially if you win a huge tournament or a playoff series or even the Stanley Cup.

Beaner
09-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Saw this today on the Hfboards. http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=171703

This is from today's Columbus Dispatch:

If not here , where?

Center Gilbert Brule, the Blue Jackets’ No. 1 draft pick (sixth overall) in July, will get a long look to make the roster out of training camp.

If he doesn’t make the club, though, there are no guarantees he’ll return to the Vancouver Giants, his Canadian junior club in the Western Hockey League.

Brule acknowledged he and his agent have had talks with teams in Europe. At least two have made offers, Brule said.

"My goal is to make the Blue Jackets," Brule said. "That’s what I’m focused on right now. But if it doesn’t work out that way, I’d have to consider the situation. If teams make offers, I’d have to listen to them and make a decision."

Brule’s father, Chris, described Gilbert’s life in Vancouver as "living in a fishbowl." The pressure of playing in his hometown, Gilbert said, has been "tough at times, but OK."

MacLean would prefer Brule stay in North America. It’s easier to monitor his development that way.

Not a good thought. Dont know really what to say about it. Without an NHL-CHL CBA agreement, I am not to sure what the Giants could do about it.

rinkrat
09-15-2005, 01:18 PM
How is it "living in a fishbowl"? I think he would have the same pressure to perform in the WHL,during his draft year anywhere in the dub,not just Vancouver.I don't think he recieves alot of "off ice" attention either.
Wait till he gets to the NHL and deals with hard core reporters,then he'll know what pressure is!

GF71
09-15-2005, 02:24 PM
You have to realize that Chris is Ummm... "very involved" with Gilbert's hockey and is pretty protective of Gilbert.

Beaner
09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
How is it "living in a fishbowl"? I think he would have the same pressure to perform in the WHL,during his draft year anywhere in the dub,not just Vancouver.I don't think he recieves alot of "off ice" attention either.
Wait till he gets to the NHL and deals with hard core reporters,then he'll know what pressure is!

I think the problem here in Vancouver last year with the media was that, since there was no NHL all these hockey writers had nothing to talk/write about except the Giants.

So it was pretty intense media wise here in Vancouver but you can already see a much different approach by the Vancouver media with the Canucks back. Giants are now definatley playing third fiddle to the Canucks and the Lions. If he does come back to the Giants this year, he will notice a lot less media attention.

-------

Doug Maclean was on the radio today (Mojo 730) and he was very happy with what Gilbert has shown thus far. Said Gilbert had a bit of a slow start when the Pros first came to camp but has picked it up quite a bit. Columbus has 2 games this weekend and Gilbert should be playing in one of them he said.

GF71
09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I think the problem here in Vancouver last year with the media was that, since there was no NHL all these hockey writers had nothing to talk/write about except the Giants.

So it was pretty intense media wise here in Vancouver but you can already see a much different approach by the Vancouver media with the Canucks back. Giants are now definatley playing third fiddle to the Canucks and the Lions. If he does come back to the Giants this year, he will notice a lot less media attention.

-------

Doug Maclean was on the radio today (Mojo 730) and he was very happy with what Gilbert has shown thus far. Said Gilbert had a bit of a slow start when the Pros first came to camp but has picked it up quite a bit. Columbus has 2 games this weekend and Gilbert should be playing in one of them he said.

They had NHL style media scrums after EVERY game. 3-6 tv cameras and about the same for print media. Some of the guys were pretty over whelmed by it all. They all wanted a piece of Gilbert. Gilbert off the ice (I do not know him well, but certainly well enough) He is a pretty private guy. NOt a huge fan of crowds...quite reserved really. He does ok as long as people don't get aggressive about getting him to sign stuff. (you wouldn't believe the scene sometimes). Chris is very portective of Gilbert though. Remember he was only 17/18 last year. Still pretty young to be dealing with the intense scrutiny.

Beaner
09-16-2005, 12:51 PM
They had NHL style media scrums after EVERY game. 3-6 tv cameras and about the same for print media. Some of the guys were pretty over whelmed by it all. They all wanted a piece of Gilbert. Gilbert off the ice (I do not know him well, but certainly well enough) He is a pretty private guy. NOt a huge fan of crowds...quite reserved really. He does ok as long as people don't get aggressive about getting him to sign stuff. (you wouldn't believe the scene sometimes). Chris is very portective of Gilbert though. Remember he was only 17/18 last year. Still pretty young to be dealing with the intense scrutiny.

Yeah I can only imagine how intense it was. Too many reporters in vancouver with absolutely nothing to talk about. Like I said with the NHL back it should be quite a bit different this year.

GF71
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
It already is. IF you are at the game tonight, try to count the media there. IT will be nothing compared to what it was like last year.

Beaner
09-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Stats on How Gilbert did at his first game from, www.go-giants.com

Columbus Blue Jackets vs Buffalo Sabres

NHL Pre Season

Gilbert Brule Stats

Total on ice time: 19:46
+/-: even
Shifts: 20
Average time per shift: 0:59
Power Play: 8:30
Even Strength: 10:22
Short Handed: 0:54
Shots on Goal: 2
Face offs won: 13
Face offs lost: 5
Face off %: 72%
Penalties: 1, Hooking at 0:24 of the 2nd Period
Hits Given: 1
Takeaways: 0
Giveaways: 2
Blocked Shots: 1
Missed Shots: 1

Columbus lost the game 4-2

Did really well on Face-offs. According to the guys over on HFBoards, he played well again.

Brule will not be playing tonight against Pittsburgh, nor will Crosby. according to a bunch of different boards.

langdak
09-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Stats on How Gilbert did at his first game from, www.go-giants.com

Did really well on Face-offs. According to the guys over on HFBoards, he played well again.

Brule will not be playing tonight against Pittsburgh, nor will Crosby. according to a bunch of different boards.

your welcome :clap: ;)

Beaner
09-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Doug Mclean was on the radio today, Brule will be playing in the remaining pre-season games this year, but no words yet on what the plan is with him yet.

Beaner
09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Brule popped the OT winner last night in Detroit, got an assist and scored on the Shoot out

Jovorock
09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Brule popped the OT winner last night in Detroit, got an assist and scored on the Shoot out
That was a nice goal, he just roofed it. That probly gave McLean a real woody.

Beaner
09-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Doug Mclean was on the Columbus Sports Radio, 1460 the Fan.

He had this to say about Gilbert thus far.

- He has sent a Preliminary Contract proposal to Brule's Agent. He has until October 2nd to get a deal done (contract) or Brule has to be sent back to Juniors.

- If he gets a contract signed he can still send Brule back to Juniors. If he plays any less than 10 regular season games, then that doesnt count as one of his first 7 years (7yrs of NHL time = Free agent.) Anymore than 10 games, then that counts as one year.

- As to him making the team. Quotes " He is on the bubble", "if he can get a deal done he should start the season with us", " He is knocking on the Door ".

Sounds like they want to sign him asap, but are debating wether it is better for their team to send him back for this year so they get 7 years out of him starting next year.

If you want to listen,

http://www.1460thefan.com/tf.php?story=radiohio/1460thefan/2004newfan/on-demand-listening.php#

Scroll down to the bottom of the page click on the Doug McLean link, the Gilbert stuff starts about the 12 min mark, you can fast forward to it.