PDA

View Full Version : Leaguewide Gamecasts

LifelongChiefsFan
09-09-2005, 01:50 AM
I remember hearing a rumor last year that the WHL was going to show all its games online this year. Does anyone know if that really is the case?

Jimmypop316
09-09-2005, 03:51 AM
They did make an announcement that they were going to stream all games online a couple months back, but I don't think theres been any news since then

Sput
09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I remember that too, but thought it was more for the league and the officials and not the general public. I could be wrong though

Willis on the Welfare
09-09-2005, 02:56 PM
The WHL will be streaming all games this year. it won't be free though. 5.95 per game or a subscription of around $240 for the year for all the games you can watch.

Beaner
09-09-2005, 05:15 PM
The OHL had a system up late last year - I watched a couple games and they were pretty good for Internet coverage.

Hopefully he WHL is planning on using this system as well.

240.00$ for all the games you can watch seems like a pretty good deal.

HAF
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Are you pretty much limited to super high speed internet service to watch these games? I have DSL service through my phone company and tried to watch a few of the Everett games last year. They were pretty choppy and kept freezing up. Is the new system going to be different?

The_Vulk
09-09-2005, 05:37 PM
I recall seeing some webcasting a few years back involving a US based team.

Sure was not the best in video/audio quality.

But if the quality is like the QmjHL's finals( ? ) this past spring (which was free for all to view), then it would be worth looking into.

I wish they had more information available about it.

Willis, where did you find that info?

How does one subscribe or order a game?

The WHL sure has not listed anything on their web-page for easy access.

Beaner
09-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Are you pretty much limited to super high speed internet service to watch these games? I have DSL service through my phone company and tried to watch a few of the Everett games last year. They were pretty choppy and kept freezing up. Is the new system going to be different?

I have DSL as well. I had no problems with the OHL Feeds.

I had the same problems, with the Everett feed to start, but I believe their problems were more on their side, IE server problems. I dont think they expected to get as many people watching the games and the got overloaded, which is why they changed their service after 3-4 games. After they did that the feed was much more reliable. With more games to choose from the load per team should be a lot less.

What I am really hoping for is that you get to choose who you get to listen to for Play by Play etc.

LifelongChiefsFan
09-11-2005, 02:42 AM

I don't know what type of computer you have, but if it's older with a slower processor, that can cause the game to be extremely choppy. DSL should be fast enough to get the game feeds without any problems.

I have DSL as well. I had no problems with the OHL Feeds.

I had the same problems, with the Everett feed to start, but I believe their problems were more on their side, IE server problems. I dont think they expected to get as many people watching the games and the got overloaded, which is why they changed their service after 3-4 games. After they did that the feed was much more reliable. With more games to choose from the load per team should be a lot less.

What I am really hoping for is that you get to choose who you get to listen to for Play by Play etc.

That would be cool, getting to choose the play by play announcers, but I imagine you would probably get the home team feed only, like they do with the NHL center ice package.

Joe Hallenback
09-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I watched the OHL feeds last year and had no problems at all with them.

I didnt think there would be any play by play just one camera watching the action.

Beaner
09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I watched the OHL feeds last year and had no problems at all with them.

I didnt think there would be any play by play just one camera watching the action.

I seem to recall when I watched the OHL feeds I could pick which comentators I listened to. In fact I believed I flipped between the 2 teams comentators so I could hear both sides of the game.

There was definatley play by play guys for the games though.

Joe Hallenback
09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes for the OHL feeds you could do that but I remember reading somewere that the WHL feeds would be camera only but I could be wrong.

Beaner
09-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes for the OHL feeds you could do that but I remember reading somewere that the WHL feeds would be camera only but I could be wrong.

That would be bad as the radio and Internet feeds are not usually synched.

I dont see why this would be a problem to incorporate, the radio crews are already at all the rinks, its just a matter of getting the radio feed and the video feed hooked up.

The_Vulk
09-14-2005, 03:58 PM
That would be bad as the radio and Internet feeds are not usually synched.

I dont see why this would be a problem to incorporate, the radio crews are already at all the rinks, its just a matter of getting the radio feed and the video feed hooked up.
Bandwidth.

I think they might be trying to save as much as possible if that is the case.

Rooselk
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Received this email from the Silvertips today:

"First of all, the Western Hockey League has introduced a new feature for their fans – the ability to watch all WHL games online through streaming video. We would like to invite our fans to be the first to experience this added amenity by watching the season opener, Saturday, September 24th against the Kamloops Blazers. The Silvertips Viewer Party will be held at the downstairs of the Flying Pig restaurant (2929 Colby Ave., Everett) from 6:45pm until 9:30 pm (or until the game ends).

Space is VERY limited and you must have a ticket to get into the party. Tickets to the Viewer Party are available at the Silvertips Front Office only for $5 per person. The ticket includes appetizers at the Flying Pig. Please keep in mind that this will be the first weekend the league is using this program, and although the glitches should be smoothed out, their may be technical difficulties. If that should occur, we will be able to turn the game on the radio, and have just as much fun listening to the Silvertips take on the Blazers!"

ihlemic10
09-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Too bad I will be in New York city at the time. Hopefully I can watch it online while I am over there.

Beaner
09-15-2005, 03:56 PM
from, www.whl.ca

WHL Announces New Internet Streaming Agreement - LIVE Internet Broadcasts
Created: Sep 15, 2005

Calgary, AB – Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League (WHL) and Interactive Netcasting Systems Inc. (INSINC) today announced plans to broadcast the entire 2005-06 WHL regular season and 2006 WHL playoff games via the Internet live on a pay-per-view (PPV) broadband basis.

The webcasting starts on opening night of the WHL regular season, Friday, September 23, 2005 and will continue with all games broadcast WHL throughout the entire regular season and playoffs.

The WHL regular season games will be available on a PPV basis for $5.95 per game or fans can purchase a monthly pass for $29.95 for all Live games. That’s over a hundred games per month for as little as $0.30 per game.

WHL fans also have the opportunity to purchase a Live and On-demand package of $49.95 per month or $249.95 for the entire season. That’s a saving of $50.00 over the per month Live and On-Demand package.

INSINC, a pioneer in the delivery of streaming media, is delighted to partner with the WHL to develop what will be the most extensive, searchable database of highlight hockey clips available to date over the Internet.

“We are delighted to be in a position through our partnership with INSINC, to broadcast all WHL games this season. For the first time in WHL history, our loyal fans, parents and family members, media and scouts will be able to watch any WHL game live through this new internet service,” commented Ron Robison, WHL Commissioner.

“This is a lot more than just delivering live, broadband content over the Internet,” states INSINC President and CEO, Hugh Dobbie. “This program will deliver valuable highlight content to fans, scouts, players and coaches who either missed a game or would like to review game clips for both strategic and entertainment purposes.”

The majority of the broadcasts will be provided using a special “scout feed” that will combine a quality camera and the live audio from the team radio broadcast.

This program gives our fans, as well as the family and friends of our players the opportunity to watch practically all of our games live on the Internet. It also provides the opportunity to use this program for pre-scouting purposes and as a development tool for our players and officials.

Webcasts for all teams will be made available from the WHL website located at www.whl.ca or on the WHL Club’s website.

About INSINC
INSINC was formed to take advantage of opportunities created by the emergence of real-time streaming and Internet based communication technologies. The company is focused on hosting and delivery of Internet protocol applications and infrastructure support, providing networking capabilities; software tools; production facilities and human resources to deliver first class IP-based communication solutions to corporate and entertainment clients such as: Canadian Press, CTV Newsnet, George Weston Ltd., CHUM, British Columbia Ministry of Education, Optimal Robotics, Canadian Idol, Scotia Capital, Loblaw Companies Ltd., the British Columbia Government Legislative Assembly (Hansard), Woodbine Entertainment Group, Saskatchewan Legislature, City of Vancouver, and Altamira. The website is at http://www.insinc.com.

About the Western Hockey League
The Western Hockey League is one of the world’s finest development leagues. The WHL, with 21 member Clubs located throughout Western Canada and the U.S. Northwest, has been a leading supplier of talent to the National Hockey League for the past 40 years. The WHL is a member of the Canadian Hockey League, which annually stages the Memorial Cup National Championship, emblematic of major junior hockey supremacy in Canada The Canadian Hockey League membership is comprised of three Canadian based junior hockey leagues: Western, Quebec and the Ontario Hockey Leagues. The WHL is also proud to be a leading provider of post-secondary schlorships awarding over 250 WHL Scholarships each year to current and graduate players.

WHL LIVE STREAM - LIVE Internet Broadcasts, CLICK HERE

Finally. :clap: :)

Joe Hallenback
09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Season pass purchased :groovy: :thumb: :clap: :bounce:

Joe Hallenback
09-15-2005, 04:21 PM
http://www4.mediaontap.com/sports/whl/

Click on Watch Live and then click on the computer and bandwith test. You will get an idea of what it will be like to watch the games :thumb:

The_Vulk
09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Nice to finally see the specifics.

The 'normal' window feels small, and the 'double' the image is not clean.

Did not bother with the 'full' screen.

Well see if or how many I get/watch, time pending.

westbeach55
09-16-2005, 05:10 PM
how many people at one time can watch a game cast, does anyone know

hockeymom
09-16-2005, 07:17 PM
If you go to the WHL.ca site and click on the news release about the new service, at the bottom you click WHL LIVE STREAM - LIVE Internet Broadcasts, CLICK HERE . Then you can go to the HELP area and test your bandwidth. It gives you all the instructions. You can also go to Watch Live, and click "Click here to test your computer and bandwidth" and it's plays a game like it's suppose to play during the season. Try it out, it gives a lot of information about it....

peatfan
09-17-2005, 01:48 AM
I agree the small does seem small and trhe double was quite fuzzy. The full screen was ok.
Question about this is if I buy this can I access it on any computer or just my own at home. I work at night so it will be a nice way to spent the evening working while watching a game. :bounce:

ihlemic10
09-17-2005, 12:13 PM
It would appear that you can on any computer since it is account based. All you would have to do is login to it from a compter and then watch.

Beaner
09-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Watched the Kelowna/Vancouver tonight.

The feed for the first 2 periods was terrible, and thats putting it nicely. Major delays. Picture freezng up, just terrible. I have a DSL line, and followed all their help to the letter.

The third period it actually streamed perfectly the way it should be. No interuptions so maybe they fixed the service during the broadcast.

Now for the rinks Broadcasting -

The audio was terrible in Kelowna a lot of static, and when the broadcasters went to commercial they talked over top of the Commercial. Have to get that fixed guys.

The camera people need to make sure their cameras are actually set-up correctly. The ice was so bright my eyes actually hurt in Kelowna. Just tuned into the PG feed, its a little better, but it is pretty dark now, but at least I can see the puck now.

Overall I would give the service a D. This is maybe why they should have been doing this during pre-season, so they could work out the problems before people start paying for it.

Going to check out the Archives tomorrow and see how that works.

I sure hope they get this fixed asap, as I think they are going to be gettinga lot of angry emails soon.

Joe Hallenback
09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
The Brandon game had problems as well.

It was great for the first period but unwatchable after that. I started to watch the Moose Jaw/PA game and had no problems with that.

I checked all the games out and the only 2 I had problems with were Brandons and Vancouvers.

The camera guys need some lessons from the guy who did the Saskatoon game. he was very good and steady.

I give it a D also. Here's hoping they get better soon.

langdak
09-24-2005, 12:03 AM
question to any of you that watching webcasts of games other then the giants/rockets game

were the home teams wearing white tonite????

i am wondering if road teams are wearing whites for the first half or were the giants only wearing whites so kelowna could unveil their new 3rd's

if somebody who watched a different webcast could let me know that would be great

thanks all

Joe Hallenback
09-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Regina was wearing whites in Brandon
Swift Current was wearing Dark in Saskatoon

langdak
09-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Regina was wearing whites in Brandon
Swift Current was wearing Dark in Saskatoon

well that just throws a wrench in things

thanks Joe, i will have to wait until next friday for the Giants opener

Beaner
09-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, went to the site today to check out the archives and there are none. :mad:

I'll say this from reading a few other boards - I would not want to be in the customer service department of this company over the next few days.

A very poor start for this new product.

Squig
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Thats why Van was wearing the whites last night.

I havent heard if it is a reverse jersey year but i doubt it.

Go Rockets Go!!!