PDA

View Full Version : Big couple of nights ahead

Daryl
01-25-2005, 03:20 PM
If Calgary can win a pair Red Deer will be out of the race. This is such a huge chance for Calgary to be the team they are on paper. The team is playing well, Pogge has been good and I am calling a hitmen sweep starting with a 4-2 win tonight. Go Hitmen Go

grumphy
01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
If Calgary can win a pair Red Deer will be out of the race. This is such a huge chance for Calgary to be the team they are on paper. The team is playing well, Pogge has been good and I am calling a hitmen sweep starting with a 4-2 win tonight. Go Hitmen Go

Tough job ---- to steal an important game out of Sutter's Rebel country

tazndevil
01-25-2005, 06:48 PM
As all Calgary and Red Deer fans know, but will probably never admit, both games will be hard fought, tight checking, close games.

I love Back-toBack games. Especially when the second half is in Calgary.

As good as tonights game will be, Tomorrows will be even better.

Can't wait.

Taz

The_Vulk
01-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Yep.

Division rivals in home-@-home games always makes the second game to be the harder fought of the two.

If we have a ref that allows them to play (and not calling every little thing to break any momentum/flow in the game.)

Hitmen1
01-25-2005, 08:07 PM
What a start to this game. One second in Phaneuf and Ladd fought in a great fight and then just seconds later Getzlaf fought with Fraser in another big time fight. The rivalry is on.

Hitmen1
01-25-2005, 08:08 PM
RILEY MERKLEY!!!!!!!!!! 1-0 Hitmen!! 50 seconds in the game.

Hitmen1
01-25-2005, 08:45 PM
What an exciting first period. Hitmen lead 2-1 after 1 period. Fights, goals, chippyness, and rough play after each whistle. Pogge made a great save at the end of the first to keep the Hitmen in front.

Phaneuf nailed Getzlaf along the boards and Getzlaf's nose was bleeding. Getz only played one shift after the hit.

Its the first game in 90 days for the Hitmen that they have a healthy scratch.

Tiger Trauma
01-25-2005, 08:50 PM
update us on all the fights after the game

Hitmen1
01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
TT, Phaneuf and Ladd was a close fight from what I heard off the radio, and Getz held his own against Fraser.

Getzlaf is not expected back in the game after the hit from Phaneuf.

Hitmen1
01-25-2005, 11:40 PM
The difference in the game was the pp. The Rebels scored 2 ppgs and the Hitmen didnt score any. It seemed that the legs fell of the Hitmen as the game went on and they didnt seem to play as well after Getzlaf went down. Oh well, at least there is a rematch tomorrow night and a chance to get back into 3rd place.

Rebel66
01-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Got to the game slightly late but I couldn't believe that I missed not one but two fights occuring within the first four seconds of the game! Must have been a set up as the four World Junior teammates went at it. Phaneuf just getting the better of Ladd by all accounts and the Fraser/Getzlaf bout ending in a tie. Must get to the game on time from now on!!!

I actually arrived just seconds after the Hitmen opened the scoring, within the first minute, on their first shot of the game. That figures as the Rebels are making quite the habit of giving up a goal on the first shot of the game. Sometimes even the second shot of the game. Fans in my section refused to blame goalie Leslie on the Merkley goal though.

Second Hitmen goal was scored by promising youngster Keegan Dansereau, easily scoring after a defensive miscue by the Rebels. No chance for Leslie on that one either.

Possible turning point in the game arrived with the Hitmen on the powerplay, with Pieper off for roughing. Dion Phaneuf absolutely levelled Getzlaf in the corner and recieved a boarding penalty for his trouble. I didn't have a good view of the hit but the reaction of numerous fans is that it was a clean hard hit and didn't deserve a call. I can't comment on that. The Rebels killed off the resulting two man advantage quite nicely but the main possible turning point was that Ryan Getzlaf only returned for one shift and then left the game. Big loss for the Hitmen.

The Rebels cut the deficit in half with Karey Pieper scoring his first goal for the team on a two man advantage of their own. It was a scrambled play with Piper just forcing the puck through Pogge and across the line. Pieper had originally been credited with a goal and his debut for the team but that was subsequently changed to Chris Neiszner.

Roman Wick levelled the score at two with assists by Colin Fraser and Ty Morris. I didn't really see this goal as I was dealing with a fussy two year old at the time! (Some excuse eh?)

The game winner arrived on the powerplay in the third period with an absolute blast from the point by Dion Phaneuf. Pogge still hasn't seen that puck. Major league shot again from Phaneuf, something we've grown accustommed to seeing in Red Deer. (Gotta love that lockout!) 3-2 final for the Rebels.

Comments:

I thought both goalies played very well tonight. Andrew Leslie recovered very well from those two early goals and made some outstanding saves in the game none moreso when he slid across to deny Calgary on a three on one. Justin Pogge was equally good in net for the Hitmen making several solid saves. He looks to be a real solid tender to me. No fault on the goals against tonight.

The usual suspects were good for Red Deer tonight. Roman Wick and Ty Morris continued their dual to be the top scorer on the team both having two point nights. Fraser and Phaneuf both had good games. Neiszner played very well tonight making a great block in the dying seconds to preserve the win.

For Calgary, Brodie Dupont had a good game getting under the skin of Phaneuf a time or two. It was Dupont who caused Dion an injury earlier in the season that kept him out for a while.
The kids looked good too. Dansereau has impressed me a few times already this season while Ryan White should be a big star in this league and I know that I've said that before.
Riley Merkley has had somewhat of a breakout year scoring his 12 goal of the season in this game. He potted only 5 last season in 12 more games.

Anyway, crucial win for the Rebels moving them into a tie with the Hitmen having played a game less. No rest for the wicked though as both teams are right back at it at the Dome on Wednesday night. As I can't make the game I'd appreciate any comments you fans who attend the game may have.

Tinner
01-26-2005, 06:48 AM
As we go to chapter 2 tonight, I expect the Hitmen to come out swinging. If we can stand the onslaught, the game will be decided by 1 goal either way. :eek:

D.A.
01-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Just two comments on Rebel66's report:

1. I kinda saw the Phaneuf - Ladd fight as a draw and Fraser getting the edge against Getzlaf. The latter was pretty even until near the end when Fraz snapped Getz's head back and then got the takedown.

2. The Dansereau goal was pretty nice. He's standing at the post when a puck comes flying across the crease at about shoulder height. In a matter of about a second, he reaches up, grabs the puck, drops it to his stick and whaps it in. No way Leslie could have gotten across to stop it.

Hitmen1
01-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Post game wrap from the sun.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/01/26/910341-sun.html

tazndevil
01-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Just wanted to say thanx to the Rebel fans for their recap.

Sounded like a great game.

Think tonights will be even better tho.

Taz

RunTheGoalie
01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Disapointing result, as this is the third time we've let the Rebels off the hook this year. These blown points are going to kill us in the end.

Phaneuf's hit on Getzlaf was dirty. Very disapointed that Phaneuf chose to hit Getzlaf in the numbers rather than the chest. He doesnt often do things like that.

Getzlaf has a concussion, so I'm betting he will not be available tonight.

Rebel66
01-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Disapointing result, as this is the third time we've let the Rebels off the hook this year. These blown points are going to kill us in the end.

Phaneuf's hit on Getzlaf was dirty. Very disapointed that Phaneuf chose to hit Getzlaf in the numbers rather than the chest. He doesnt often do things like that.

Getzlaf has a concussion, so I'm betting he will not be available tonight.

I found it a tad ironic that you thought Phaneuf's hit was dirty when you have a handle like yours! :D

You're right that the Rebels have had a few comebacks this year against your team. Thing is, it's not just against the Hitmen though. Red Deer has made a bad habit of having to come from behind several times this season.

I wouldn't worry too much about the blown points though as you're still two points better off than you should be from an earlier game against the Rebels when the ref absolutely screwed up royally. (There I go again. Just can't let it go!!!!!)

RunTheGoalie
01-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Heh. Gotta credit the Rebels for the comebacks, but every time the Hitmen suffer one of these losses, I start thinking about how we are the "Best team in the WHL" and either laugh, or get so mad I want to gather some snowballs to throw at Kisio on the bench.

And yes, we are still two points up, but it should be 6 or 7. And that's just on the points we gave back to you alone, nevermind the entire disapointing first half. Also, the Rebels have two games in hand.

Tonight is a must win for Calgary.

Incidentally, the referee had a huge hand in your comeback in the season opener, so save the "referee screwed us" bit. ;) :D

Hitmen1
01-26-2005, 07:51 PM
10 minutes before the game and I just heard on the fan 960 that Getzlaf is out for the game tonight, and the Hitmen do not know the extent of the injury. It is a concussion.

Hitmen1
01-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Brodie Dupont with both Hitmen goals, Justin Pogge was solid once again and the Hitmen win the rematch 2-1. Not as chippy from what I heard off the radio, but lots of pushing and shoving after the final horn went off.

RunTheGoalie
01-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Phaneuf went after Yacboski after the game ended, probably pissed that he was layed out twice on the same shift by Darryl earlier in the third. Yacboski was a monster out there tonight.

Gotta feel for Festa, as the GWG was one of the worst goals I've seen since Salo and the olympics. A weak dump in from centre ice that tucked itself in the far corner.

Pogge, on the other hand, was remarkable. He made at least a half dozen saves that he had no buisness stopping. Shame he lost the shutout on a two successive boneheadded plays by Schultz, who twice simply needed to dump the puck up the boards to clear, but tried to stickhandle instead, and gave it away.

Announced 9400, and it looked like there really was 9400. Seems all of the season ticket holders showed up for this one.

Rebel66
01-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Gotta feel for Festa, as the GWG was one of the worst goals I've seen since Salo and the olympics. A weak dump in from centre ice that tucked itself in the far corner.

I heard that Sutter pulled Festa for about a minute or so after the goal but then put him back in. Interesting move. Was the move made to settle Gerry down or shake the team up a little? Any thoughts?

Looks like you've got a goodun in Pogge....

Mileflames
01-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Calgary Hitmen (Home) 2
Red Deer Rebels (Visiting) 1

Attendance: 9436 every one showed up, even 90% of the boxes had people in it. It was a big crowed, which is nice too see.

Calgary Scoring
2, Dupont, (7) (Kohn, Schultz), 08:20 (PP)
2, Dupont, (8) (Schultz), 09:03

Red Deer Scoring
2, Morris, (23) (Wick, Fraser), 13:03

Was slow hockey at times, the kids look a little tired from last night!

Pogge, Justin with 29 saves, he looked good tonight.

Calgary Penalties
1 - White, 0:14 - Roughing, ,2min (PP)
1 - Covington, 16:04 - Slashing, ,2min (PP)
2 - O'Malley, 6:00 - Inter. on Goaltender, ,2min (PP)
2 - Harder, 9:28 - Cross Checking, ,2min (PP)
3 - White, 2:52 - Roughing, ,2min
3 - Carson, 4:56 - Holding, ,2min (PP)

Red Deer Penalties
1 - Fraser, 0:48 - Unsportsmanlike Cnd., ,2min (PP)
1 - Vandermeer, 14:25 - Roughing, ,2min (PP)
1 - Pieper, 18:18 - Tripping, ,2min (PP)
2 - Phaneuf, 8:00 - Inter. on Goaltender, ,2min (PP)
3 - Moore, 2:52 - Roughing, ,2min

RunTheGoalie
01-27-2005, 08:34 AM
I heard that Sutter pulled Festa for about a minute or so after the goal but then put him back in. Interesting move. Was the move made to settle Gerry down or shake the team up a little? Any thoughts?

Looks like you've got a goodun in Pogge....

Sutter ******ed out Festa during that time. Ripped into the kid. A bit of an overreaction on Sutters part I thought, though he might have been trying to light a fire under the team, as the entire game was lacking intensity on both sides. The move nearly backfired, as Leslie had to make a very difficult save during his 30 seconds in the game. If that had gone in.....

tazndevil
01-27-2005, 11:05 AM
From my view, this is the way I saw the end of the game action.

As the horn sounded to end the game the puck went into the air. Phaneuf caught it, put it on the ice and fired it at Pogge, IMO clearly after the final horn.

Yac saw it and went after Phaneuf, and it was on. I thought for a minute that they were going to go, but the linesmen did a great job at stopping them.

I love a great fight, but after the final horn, I believe carries an automatic suspension. No one wants to both guys to be suspended.

Taz