PDA

View Full Version : Should Kelowna change their name/logo?

mccabe23
01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
This has always been a hot topic as some people believe the Rockets should change their logo or name because their logo and name mean different things. Personally, it doesn't matter to me that they are called the Rockets yet have an Ogopogo for their symbol. But who knows, maybe Kelowna needs to change things up? Perhaps the Kelowna Lake Monsters? :rolleyes:

kelownakarl
01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I feel that the name Rockets is a trademark of Kelowna Major Junior Hockey. To change it would be tough, with all the history and years that have gone by with the name. I think changing the symbol would be mor realistic but I highly doubt it is on the Hamilton's to do list! Great topic for debate though!

Tipped Off
01-25-2005, 05:55 PM
It's awfully hard to change a name AFTER you've won the Memorial cup. Changing the logo would probably be a bit more appropriate...that Rockets name will always be associated with winning the Cup. you CAN'T change it now?

Q: Who won the Memorial Cup in 2004
A: the Rockets
Q: Who is your favorite team?
A: the Lake Monsters

Hmm....just can't see it happening.

Robster
01-26-2005, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=kelownakarl]I feel that the name Rockets is a trademark of Kelowna Major Junior Hockey. To change it would be tough, with all the history and years that have gone by with the name.

Kelownas teams (including junior A teams) have changed their names and logos at least four times starting in the early eighties when the Buckaroos became the Packers. The world didnt end then nor did the bridge collapse as a result. I therefore dont see a problem with finding another more appropriate name for a Kelowna team, to replace an imported one that has no connection with Kelowna. The Tacoma thing is an important part of our history but its pass'e ....ie we need to remember the past, not live in it !

I think a hockey teams logo should portray a powerful image, and be incorporated on a uniform that intimidates. The Seattle uni with its black jersey and Thunderbird logo is awesome, they always look tough no matter who wears it......... Black does intimidate!
Yes, I realise we have black away jerseys but they still bear the kiddie 'Oggie time' logo.

This current Kelowna logo is I feel too child oriented, too comedic, it strikes fear into no one, furthermore it smacks totally of a trite "Chamber of Commerce / City council" promo. As things stand the Kelowna "Fuzzies" might be a more accurate description...

The white lids dont help the 'awe factor' either... I think they look terrible.

Teaps
01-26-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you Robster. I believe what KelownaKarl was trying to say was along the lines of the Memorial Cup. It's kind of hard to change ur name once you've wo the coveted trophy. And to talk about your idea of fear in the other teams eyes.........Who needs the fear factor when your on top of the league and not slowing down?

And those White helmets. I gave a ponder at the memorial cup games, and i realized, those black helmets look funny....

Jovorock
01-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you Robster. I believe what KelownaKarl was trying to say was along the lines of the Memorial Cup. It's kind of hard to change ur name once you've wo the coveted trophy. And to talk about your idea of fear in the other teams eyes.........Who needs the fear factor when your on top of the league and not slowing down?

And those White helmets. I gave a ponder at the memorial cup games, and i realized, those black helmets look funny....
When the Rockets came to Kelowna I would of liked the name to go back to the Buckarooos. It was my glory years watching Murrey Hansen, Bucky Owens, and so on. but I agree with this team and it's history now the Rockets is the only name that makes seens now.

The white home helmets look stupid! Right up there with a ugly Blazer!

rinkrat
01-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with Jovorock,they should be the Buckaroos.I have moved from Kelowna and am a Giants fan now but I'll never forget all the Buckaroos games I watched as a kid.I remember the Merritt Centenials players climbing into the stands,swinging sticks at the fans...My favorite player was Bill Audycki,also Rob Neeld,remember the Neeld shield?He was the first player to wear a shield and the league wasn't going to allow it.By the way,remember who did the play by play????

Jim Hughson

Robster
01-28-2005, 02:00 AM
I agree with Jovorock,they should be the Buckaroos.I have moved from Kelowna and am a Giants fan now but I'll never forget all the Buckaroos games I watched as a kid.I remember the Merritt Centenials players climbing into the stands,swinging sticks at the fans...My favorite player was Bill Audycki,also Rob Neeld,remember the Neeld shield?He was the first player to wear a shield and the league wasn't going to allow it.By the way,remember who did the play by play????

Jim Hughson

I believe it was the late Bryan Cooling who did the Bucks PBP, I know for sure he did the packers games. Brian was one of the most knowledgable sports commentators you could find. He became paralysed following a brain anurism and could not talk anymore but was still a brilliant mind and still managed to attend most games, watching from his wheelchair.
His passing was a great loss to our community and to sports broadcasting

rinkrat
01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
The Kelowna team is the Rockets,there are no rockets in Kelowna.
The Rockets have Ogopogo on their jerseys?????
The Ogopogo actually looks like a dragon???
The mascot is a raccoon???
I'm confused,and having some fun with my friends from Kelowna

Jovorock
01-30-2005, 09:06 AM
The Kelowna team is the Rockets,there are no rockets in Kelowna.
The Rockets have Ogopogo on their jerseys?????
The Ogopogo actually looks like a dragon???
The mascot is a raccoon???
I'm confused,and having some fun with my friends from Kelowna
There are no Rockets in Kelowna, drive around Kelowna in the spring and summer see the girls on roller blades or at the beach and tell me that there isn't any rockets in Kelowna?

Ogopogo isn't a dragon, it's a sea creature on steriods.

Rocky is his name, not that much of a stretch, a raccoon? Either way he is a terrible mascot, Rrory from Medicine Hat and the Guelph Storm mascots at the Memorial Cup last year were great and put Rocky to shame. Maybe Rocket management would do something and learn from last May?