PDA

View Full Version : Jon Webb update..

Triton
09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
It was one of the strangest third periods Grande Prairie Storm hockey fans have been treated to in the Canada Games Arena for several years.

The teams were tied at 1-1 heading into the third period and it looked like the 2,431 onlookers might have to settle in for their second overtime in two nights.

But that all changed at the 4:36 mark of the third period - thanks in big part to Oilers captain Jon Webb.

Webb, on a one-on-one play, slashed Storm forward Dustin Sather in the stomach. Sather dropped to the ice as teammate Tyler Dutchyshen sped to his rescue. Dutchyshen didn't get a chance to gain some revenge because as he neared Webb, the Oilers defenceman cross-checked him in the face. Dutchyshen crumpled to the ice.

For his misdeeds, Webb was handed a match penalty for the cross-check, and another major for sticking Sather. He was also given two game misconducts and has been suspended for two games, with the possibility of more to follow pending a review from the league.

As a result the Storm were awarded a 10-minute powerplay. And they took advantage scoring three times before Webb could dry off after his early shower.
Fittingly, it was Dutchyshen who scored the winner at 7:17 of the third. At 13:29 Scott McNeil made it 3-1 on the second powerplay tally of the period; and Sather, again fittingly, upped it to 4-1 with 6:02 to go in the period.

Honestly I don't and won't miss that.Kinda beer league if you ask me.I wonder if the Chiefs de Laval of the Quebec goon league have Webb under contract?

UKWheatie
09-12-2005, 04:44 AM
I can see Jon's departure has had a profound affect on you.. I guess Jon's hotheadedness was always a bit of a liability but then again it was a part of who he was. I also read the report on the GP Storm web site and whilst it doesn't look good I wouldn't go as far as to make accusations of 'beer league' and generally slag the guy off with out reading the report from the Ototoks point of view and seeing the incident myself. So whats the crack with the Jon hatred? Did he do something to upset you when the Wheat Kings knocked out your PA Raiders in the play-offs last year?

Triton
09-12-2005, 10:25 AM
He may be a great person off the ice with his various involvement in the community but as for on the ice,shouldn't a leader lead by example?Spearing a guy in the stomach and then cross checking another guy in the face isn't my idea of leadership.He maybe a great leader by voice but some of the things he does on ice is just garbage,and not needed.It hurts his team in that sense,and is just plain embarrassing.When I said beer league I meant that isn't that the sort of thing that happens in a beer league?I don't have a hatred towards Webb or any player,I just think that what he did the other night and what he did as a member of the W'kings is dumb and is not needed.I'am just saying that I won't miss Webb cause the W'kings maybe in trouble this year as it is,they don't need to be on a penalty kill for 10 minutes each game if Webb was a member of the club.

P.S I may live in P.A and cheer for them,but Brandon comes first,always has,always will.Kinda like scout he cheers for Brandon on occasion but his heart is in Swift.

UKWheatie
09-12-2005, 01:39 PM
I guess we will never agree on the guy..I know from a close friend in Brandon that Jon will be sadly missed by both the coaching regime and fellow players in Brandon so I guess that speaks volumes, that and the fact he's now Oiler captain too.

I have to disagree with your assesment of

I'am just saying that I won't miss Webb cause the W'kings maybe in trouble this year as it is,they don't need to be on a penalty kill for 10 minutes each game if Webb was a member of the club.

I don't think we are in trouble this year at all, yes we may not be as successful as last season but we are far from being written off. There is talent there as well as solid goaltending. Players will emerge from the shadows of the big guns of last season and along with some careful additions we will do reasonably well. The one thing we will need is someone to look after and out for the new guys, and that is a role I think Jon would have done well. Sure someone may step into the breach and perform that role but I guess you won't be happy that that person is taking dumb penalties sticking up for his team mates either. Given that the Wheatkings are in a state of rebuilding then the one thing we cannot afford to lose is experience and in losing Jon that is exactly what we have lost a chunk of.

Triton
09-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Day can fill that role.Reaves,Yeo,Louis can also.If you watched as his career in the dub proceeded you would know that offensively Webb wasn't great and defensively he was average and on many many plays was beaten.I seen this first hand in the playoffs this year.There is a reason why no NHL team took a look at him.I met Webb,very nice guy,easy to talk to.The w'kings will miss his leadership this season no doubt about it,but I don't think that the w'kings will be as penalized as they were when Webb's stick and fist was around,when Later was around,when Fehr's elbows were around.It's always sad to lose a member of a team when he played his whole whl career there,but in honesty we may be better off without Webb,and Webb may be better of without Brandon.He now gets to go home and play,something Blanchette was able to do as well.We all knew Webb would have been our captain,but now we have to look for other members of the club who carries leadership skills.Who knows Kelly may have a few trades in mind before the season,seeing as we need 2 more 20's and maybe a younger backup,and some scoring and grit.I'am not disagreeing with you,I'am just saying I won't miss watching my team having to battle a 10 minute powerplay with the game tied in the third,in game 7 of the playoffs.

Triton
10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Well since Webb's suspension a while ago Webb has tallied 5 goals and added 2 assists while also accumilating 74 PIM.

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
10-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Almost worth a road trip to see Webb being a Hanson brother :thumb: