PDA

View Full Version : messier

WHEATMAN
09-12-2005, 12:45 PM
just announced his retirement, any thoughts?, as far as i am concerned he is 3rd best alltime behind gretzky and mario

Triton
09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
It's good he went out now and not tried to make it linger like Jerry Rice of the NFL.Messier knew it was time.Not much more the Hall of famer can accomplish..he's done it all.What a great career.Do you know if he's staying in hockey in some aspect?Coaching?Scouting?

The_Vulk
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Number 2 in career scoring behind Wayne.

He has proven what a great leader he is.

Boy has this year given us alot of retirements in the NHL.

Sput
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Boy has this year given us alot of retirements in the NHL.

Makes me wonder if some of them retired because the money isn't there anymore?

Messier had nothing left to prove, and not much left in the tank (IMH). He went out on his terms, and he knew it was over at the end of the 03-04 season. He was definatly a force on the ice, and exciting to watch.

Beaner
09-12-2005, 05:31 PM
just announced his retirement, any thoughts?, as far as i am concerned he is 3rd best alltime behind gretzky and mario

He was a great one for sure but #3 of all Time? What about Howe, Orr, Richard? I'd put him in the top 10, but not the top 3, not even top 5.

Top 3 of his era (80's/90's) no question.

As too all the retirements this season its no surprise really. After all these older players took a year off, they probably realized that life after hockey isnt that bad. Personally I think its good for hockey to see some of these guys hang up their skates and let some new blood come in.

almosttyme4hockey
09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm just surprised that he went so quietly. I was watching the Score all morning expecting some sort of news conference or something to that affect. But instead it was the presser announcing Jesse Lumsden signing with the Ti-Cats. Then I found out he only made a conference call to the League, The New York Post, TSN, and maybe Wayne too.

He's had a great career, but I think it's a shame that he chose to retire after a labour disruption. It would be nice to see him play a few more games, or even one more year to tie Gordie for seasons played.

He'll be a lock for the Hall in '07, maybe earlier if they waive the exemption for him.

rinkrat
09-12-2005, 06:49 PM
There was always rumours about which "team" he was on,while he played in Vancouver...
I think Madonna taught him some new tricks!

peatfan
09-13-2005, 02:29 AM
I definately put Howe and Orr ahead of Mess. Orr is #1 in my books followed by Gretzky, Mario and Howe. Mess is up there with Beliveau, Hull, Richard, Potvin as contenders for #5.
It will be quite a group in the hall of fame in three years(or is it five). Messier, MacInness and Stevens. Might be the best group ever (although last year with Coffey, Murphy and Bourque might be #1). :wave:

Jovorock
09-13-2005, 06:17 AM
There was always rumours about which "team" he was on,while he played in Vancouver...
I think Madonna taught him some new tricks!
No kidding, he was the worst leader ever in Vancouver, him and Iron Mike almost sank the franchise.

Chipper
09-13-2005, 08:20 AM
I think its good for him to retire before the start of the season. He will make a great coach, I think. I would bet there will be other agging players that will hang them up at the begining of the season after they find out they just don't have the legs anymore like they used to. I don't know if its the money keeping some of them but maybe there ego's. A year off with out elite compitition will be very tough on a lot of players.

Jimmypop316
09-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Another amazing player retirded today, Ron Francis.

Sheesh all the oldies are dropping like flies right now, hopefully we will have some class act players to take their place.