PDA

View Full Version : Lethbridge Lands a New Goalie

Scout
09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
The Spokane Chiefs have traded 19-year-old goaltender Kevin Opsahl to the Lethbridge Hurricanes for a sixth round selection in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.
"This will be a great opportunity for Kevin," Chiefs General Manger Tim Speltz said. "At 19-years-old, Kevin wants to be a starting goaltender in the WHL and Lethbridge has acquired him to be their number one goaltender."
Opsahl was acquired last season from the Portland Winter Hawks and appeared in 23 games. The Trail, BC native posted a 2.96 goals against average and .903 save percentage. In two years with Spokane and Portland, Opshal has a 9-13-4-1 record and 2.98 GAA.
The move leaves the Chiefs with two goaltenders, 19-year-old Jim Watt and 17-year-old rookie Thomas Stehr.

Scout

loudi94
09-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Looks like Mezei impressed enough to stay. Ward looks to be the odd man out.

Scout
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm starting to feel sorry for Ward. He burst on the scene with Saskatoon and looked like the goalie of the future. Then he fizzled and became average. Now where does he go? Is it his confidence that made him expendable? Just curious. He always played well against Swift Current. Being his home town maybe he had something to prove and never looked good in other arena's.

Scout

loudi94
09-12-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm starting to feel sorry for Ward. He burst on the scene with Saskatoon and looked like the goalie of the future. Then he fizzled and became average. Now where does he go? Is it his confidence that made him expendable? Just curious. He always played well against Swift Current. Being his home town maybe he had something to prove and never looked good in other arena's.

Scout

He looked good in camp if that's any consolation. Too many 20 year olds is all.

RebelsFan
09-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Where does that leave Justin Leclerc? I understand he is injured but still in camp?

loudi94
09-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Canes released Ward on Monday. Waste of a draft pick.

LHF
09-13-2005, 04:07 PM
They didn't lose there draft pick, because he didn't stick with the team. At least thats the way I understand it.