PDA

View Full Version : Opening night roster?

kelownakarl
09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
What do you all think?

Spurgeon and Darzins out....

Comeau-Keller-Bodie
Howarth-Ray-Ofukany
Bauer-Raffl-Hill
Sylvester or Anderson (you pick)-Cuthbert-Mcrae
spares - long, almond,

Card-Cumiskey
Dowzak-Edler
Joe-Reinholt
Schenn
(couture released)

Westblom
Y-man

Am I missing anyone?

What changes would you make?

Jovorock
09-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I can't see Anderson a 19 yr old rookie at forward with not much offensive upside. Sure he works hard and a good checker, but he's 19!

I would go
Keller Ray Comeau
Raffl Long Bodie
Bauer Howarth Ofukany
Hill Cuthbert Sylvester

Spares MacRae Almond and Spurgeon in December.

I do think if you play Long with some talented wingers that line can bury the net.

I agree with your defensive pairings but they might keep Couture around for now?

kevanie97
09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Why would you split up Howarth and Ray after teh way they gelled in the playoffs.

Comeau-Keller-Raffl
Howarth-Ray-Bodie
Bauer-Ofukany-Long
Almond-McRae-Sylvester till a 20 year old arrives
Cuthbert and Hill spares

Card-Edler
Dowzak-Cuminsky after he gets back from his injury
Joe-Reinholt till a 20 year old arrives
Schenn
(couture released)

Westblom
Y-man

Jovorock
09-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Why would you split up Howarth and Ray after teh way they gelled in the playoffs.

Cuthbert and Hill spares

I can see your idea about splitting up that line, they were great in the playoffs.

Can't see keeping Cutter and Hill as spares, they didn't play much last year and need a regular role this year. Almond didn't impress me in the Blazer game, wait and see how he does in the Giants games this weekend.

kevanie97
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I know what you mean Jovo but Cutter(has not had a good camp) and Hill didn't impress at all this past weekend either and Almond played a very good in Loops and from what i hear they really like this kid.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill traded, Cutter just isn't as good as the 16 year olds so you can't play him because of his name.

Teaps
09-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, one thing i do know, is that no matter what the line-up looks like at the beginning of the season, This is going to be one damn good team. Especially if team vets and soph's are breaking a sweat trying to play better than the Rookies....Truitt and the coaching staff have a helluva couple decisions to make.

Jovorock
09-15-2005, 06:32 AM
I think the Rockets should keep Sylvester, we got pushed around alot two years ago until DJ King arrived.

Chupacabra
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM
I think the Rockets should keep Sylvester, we got pushed around alot two years ago until DJ King arrived.

Agreed. I know Sylvester isn't known for his scoring, but did you see that he and one of the 16 year old rookies both had an assist and a goal in the first game in Kamloops. Who knows, maybe he'll be pose the dual threat of scoring and enforcing.

kevanie97
09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
I disagree, there is no room for a 19 year so so tough guy, that spot needs to be used for one of the young guys to learn and develope for next year, Sly won't be back next year and Dowsak,Reinholt,Schen and Raffl will be more then enough to handle the toughness, its not like the old days with all out brawls, todays game is more special teams orientated so let them them try to goon you and make them pay for it on the power play by scoring.

Also Sly is no DJ King not even close, King could intimadate the opposition, nobody is scared of Sly so he is not going to deter them from gooning it up.

Teaps
09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Bauer looked great with the C out on the ice on saturday, should be a good team...no matter whose on it

Jovorock
09-15-2005, 03:52 PM
young guys to learn and develope for next year, Sly won't be back next year and Dowsak,Reinholt,Schen and Raffl will be more then enough to handle the toughness
The last two times Reinholt got into a fight he put his shoulder out both times. Dowzak is in his first time in the league, I don't think he can stand up to Kassian, Weber couldn't. I don't know how many fights Raffl was in Austria or how tough he is?

Just my opinion but I think it would be a mistake.

IamBatman
09-15-2005, 04:57 PM
The last two times Reinholt got into a fight he put his shoulder out both times. Dowzak is in his first time in the league, I don't think he can stand up to Kassian, Weber couldn't. I don't know how many fights Raffl was in Austria or how tough he is?

I think Sly is a waste of a roster spot. i think he has looked terrible in pre-season thus far, and he doesn't fight anyway. I don't go to ever Rockets home game, but the ones I did catch Sly didn't drop the gloves once. I don't think Truitt likes the fighting anyway. The Rockets need to get off this defense bandwagon and pick up a scorer, especially with these new rules. Thats my 2 bits.

Chupacabra
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Preferably a scorer and a playmaker. Maybe some of the new players can fill the void. I haven't made it to any of the pre-season games (I do have tickets for game two on 24/9) so I haven't had the chance to make my own evaluation. For those of you that have been to a preseason game (or practices), does it look like any of the new blood can light a fire in the offensive stove?

kevanie97
09-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Thanks for making my point Jovo, its not that Weber couldn't its that he had to because Sly wouldn't, you don't honestly think Sly can do it, do you? He is scared to death of him, just watch when he is on the ice with Kassian, so why would you keep someone and take the ice time away from a young guy to devolpe? It makes no sense when he isn't gonna protect anybody anyhow. Kelowna will do it by commitee, everybody will stick up for each other and they will be fine, its all about the special teams now and let them go on the PK because they think they can intimadate us, not going to happen. There are rules for a reason and if Kassian(or whoever) breaks them he/they will be penalized for it, Sly isn't going to stop it one way or another so he goes and a young guy gets the ice time, makes way more sense.

Batman yes we have a few that should light it up this year both vets and young guys (Keller,Comeau,Ray and Bodie for vets and Long(Big time skill this kid has) and Raffl has incredible skills as well.

Chupacabra
09-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Not a Bat, but the Chupacabra (mythical beast, kinda like a Liger). Thanks for the response Kevanie97.

They sound offensively exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing them play (especially the rookies). I know you mentioned Long and Raffl, when does the team make the final decision as to who stays and who goes. I hope the team has enough foresight to keep these two around.

kelownakarl
09-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I honestly think we need some toughness in our lineup and i know that Sylvester will not cut it.

Maybe we should be looking around the BCHL, or KIJHL for another goon if we need to....

kevanie97
09-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Long and Raffl have made the team.

I think you will be surprised just how tough Dowsak is KK even though he is only 17, he comes highly touted for his toughness and at 6'5 230 he is more then big enough.

IamBatman
09-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I honestly think we need some toughness in our lineup and i know that Sylvester will not cut it.

Maybe we should be looking around the BCHL, or KIJHL for another goon if we need to....

I think we need to hire Scott Parker on as a toughness instructor. Beat the snot out of our "tough" guys to make them a little tougher.

kelownakarl
09-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Long and Raffl have made the team.

I think you will be surprised just how tough Dowsak is KK even though he is only 17, he comes highly touted for his toughness and at 6'5 230 he is more then big enough.

But if Dowzak is as good as everyone is hyping him to be, do we really want him fighting?

kevanie97
09-16-2005, 01:06 PM
You don't just have to fight to be tough, perfect example is Weber, a huge hit or 2 ,clear the front of the net with authority and punishment and once in a while let them know you can fight as well, everybody that comes into this league has to show up once in awhile, do it really good and a stare scares them off next time.

Teaps
09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Exactly Kevanie...Lets take a player like Bodie for example, he doesn't fight very often, but yet he is still one tough customer for being able to take the kind of punishment he does in front of the net...