PDA

View Full Version : In defense of the defense

cotinthecurrent
09-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Interesting how much heat the defense took last year when SCORING was the problem all year. Five-on-five, and worse yet the power play! There WAS no power play all season and that was what killed them. Moir stood on his head and saved the team from an even more embarrassing year. And pity the defense! They had to be absolutely flawless because one mistake would put the game on the line. There was no room for error because the likelihood of getting it back with a goal was slim to nil. At one point, someone commented that Rumsey didn't seem to be playing like he could. All I can say is there was no room for any of the d-men to play like they could because a penalty would put the game on the line too. I think the front-end situation put a ton of pressure on the back-end and limited what they could do without risking it all. They also lost Matej mid-year which left the whole team pretty vulnerable. Pretty tough to expect the 17 & 18 year old d-men to pick up that role.

So let's get real. What we need this year is scoring, a power play, overall grit and hard work from everyone and getting every ounce of potential out of every one of the guys!

One other very important thing. If you've been checking other sites, you'll see that Saskatoon has picked up a goon from Quebec to add to Haw etc. and Prince Albert is hyping their tough guy Garth Collins. Regina has added Halifax and there are any number of Kassian wannabes out there. Who's going to add that additional protection that Matej gave the team. I don't think we want to be the only team out there without it!

Triton
09-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Don't forget Brandon has Hewitt and Louis.

Scout
09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
I think Dean will be looking for a true heavey. All of Deans teams have been tough. He played that way himself. I wouldn't be surpised to see one added. We do have Rumsey. He trained heavey over summer and is now around 200lbs. Lechovic is willing and able. Toulmin although a rookie is tough and likes to play tough. Was avoided alot in B.C. last year in the fisti-cuffs department. Why? Because he is tough and can fight with either hs right or left, but is a southpaw. Benke also is a rookie but came with a rep. At 6'6" and well over 200 lbs. he has the size. He also fought alot last year and had 177 pim. in just over 30 games so he is willing but is a rookie. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Scout

ointhecreek
09-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I think we will be all right in the fisticuff dept. Most teams boast 1 or 2 and I think we have 3 or 4 that can handle themselves quite well. As we all know, Rumsey is no slouch and Lechovic will be alright and as far as heaveyweights go, I can't wait to see Benke in action, although as Scout says, he is a rookie and will have to learn about the opposition. I believe he will do quite well. He reminds me alot of Booreguard(sp?) except he skates better. LOL!! ;)