PDA

View Full Version : Red handed: Russian goalie arrives in Saskatoon, ready to battle for starting spot

Billy Blade
09-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Source: http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/starphoenix/news/sports/blades/story.html?id=7310d499-9a40-4fb6-aceb-d6b245033e26

Cory Wolfe
The StarPhoenix
Thursday, September 15, 2005

Saskatoon already feels like home to Russian goaltender Anton Khudobin.

Speaking through a translator Wednesday prior to his first practice with the Saskatoon Blades, Khudobin said the chill of impending autumn reminds him of Ust-Kamenogorsk -- the town in Kazakhstan where he grew up.

"I'm not too pleased yet with the weather because I just came from warmth," said Khudobin, who arrived Tuesday night from training camp with the NHL's Minnesota Wild. "Minnesota was hot, but the weather (in Saskatoon) is very similar to my hometown so I'll get used to it."

Two former Saskatonians gave Khudobin a scouting report of his new hockey hangout. He met ex-Saskatoon Contacts goaltender Kristofer Westblom at Minnesota's camp. And earlier this year, Khudobin spent two months training with Saskatoon export Dave King, who was hired to coach Khudobin's former Russian team, Magnitogorsk Mettalurg.

"Dave King told me, 'The city is beautiful and the arena is great. You'll love it.' He also brought a (StarPhoenix) article that profiled me," said Khudobin.

Khudobin, 19, arrived in Saskatoon with his seven favourite CDs (comprised mostly of Russian music), his PlayStation Portable and his favourite game, Need For Speed.

His billet, Anna Gersher, served as translator on Wednesday. She and her husband, David, contacted the Blades shortly after the local club picked Khudobin 51st overall during June's Canadian Hockey League import draft.

"They saw that we had drafted him and she e-mailed us basically saying that if we needed any help, to give her a call," said Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken. "One thing led to another and to this point it's been very positive and everybody seems very happy."

Khudobin is scheduled to make his debut Friday at Credit Union Centre when the Medicine Hat Tigers make a pre-season visit. The same teams play Saturday in the Alberta city.

Khudobin, a seventh-round pick of Minnesota in 2004, helped Russia win silver at the last world junior championship in Grand Forks, N.D. He's expected to be Russia's top keeper again this December when the tournament opens in Vancouver. With that resume, Khudobin is the odds-on favourite to be the Blades' starter.

Despite the buzz surrounding Khudobin's arrival, Blades 19-year-old returnee Russel Monette has had a strong training camp.

"He's handled it like a true professional," Molleken said of Monette. "He's just carried on with his business, stayed focused on the task at hand and played extremely well for us. He's making our decision very difficult."

Kevin Armstrong, 17, has also shown well between the pipes.

"We have three goaltenders who can play in this league and down the road, we'll make a decision on which way we want to go," said Molleken.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/sasp/20050915/182918-60379.jpg

Trav
09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
blue and white jerseys, that'll match well lol. Honestly though Molleken is likely trying to deal Monette but if there are no takers then guess its back to the SJHL for Russel but I gotta hand it to him. He's looked a lot better so far now then he did last year but Khudobin and Armstrong arent going anywhere.

Triton
09-15-2005, 10:34 AM
The kid can't speak a lick of english.I seen an interview with him on the news last night,and he had a translator with him.But he is excited to be in toon town and hopes that he and the team have a great season.He said saskatoon was 2nd home...well at least thats what the translator said.

wango tango
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
khudobin will play friday night against medicine hat, don't know if he will start or not. my guess is he does start.