PDA

View Full Version : 3 - 2 Rebels Win over Hitmen

Tinner
01-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Can anybody at the game fill us in on the game. ;)

Hitmen1
01-25-2005, 11:50 PM
You can check out our thread in the hitmen forum.

Rebel66
01-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Got to the game slightly late but I couldn't believe that I missed not one but two fights occuring within the first four seconds of the game! Must have been a set up as the four World Junior teammates went at it. Phaneuf just getting the better of Ladd by all accounts and the Fraser/Getzlaf bout ending in a tie. Must get to the game on time from now on!!!

I actually arrived just seconds after the Hitmen opened the scoring, within the first minute, on their first shot of the game. That figures as the Rebels are making quite the habit of giving up a goal on the first shot of the game. Sometimes even the second shot of the game. Fans in my section refused to blame goalie Leslie on the Merkley goal though.

Second Hitmen goal was scored by promising youngster Keegan Dansereau, easily scoring after a defensive miscue by the Rebels. No chance for Leslie on that one either.

Possible turning point in the game arrived with the Hitmen on the powerplay, with Pieper off for roughing. Dion Phaneuf absolutely levelled Getzlaf in the corner and recieved a boarding penalty for his trouble. I didn't have a good view of the hit but the reaction of numerous fans is that it was a clean hard hit and didn't deserve a call. I can't comment on that. The Rebels killed off the resulting two man advantage quite nicely but the main possible turning point was that Ryan Getzlaf only returned for one shift and then left the game. Big loss for the Hitmen.

The Rebels cut the deficit in half with Karey Pieper scoring his first goal for the team on a two man advantage of their own. It was a scrambled play with Piper just forcing the puck through Pogge and across the line. Pieper had originally been credited with a goal and his debut for the team but that was subsequently changed to Chris Neiszner.

Roman Wick levelled the score at two with assists by Colin Fraser and Ty Morris. I didn't really see this goal as I was dealing with a fussy two year old at the time! (Some excuse eh?)

The game winner arrived on the powerplay in the third period with an absolute blast from the point by Dion Phaneuf. Pogge still hasn't seen that puck. Major league shot again from Phaneuf, something we've grown accustommed to seeing in Red Deer. (Gotta love that lockout!) 3-2 final for the Rebels.

Comments:

I thought both goalies played very well tonight. Andrew Leslie recovered very well from those two early goals and made some outstanding saves in the game none moreso when he slid across to deny Calgary on a three on one. Justin Pogge was equally good in net for the Hitmen making several solid saves. He looks to be a real solid tender to me. No fault on the goals against tonight.

The usual suspects were good for Red Deer tonight. Roman Wick and Ty Morris continued their dual to be the top scorer on the team both having two point nights. Fraser and Phaneuf both had good games. Neiszner played very well tonight making a great block in the dying seconds to preserve the win.

For Calgary, Brodie Dupont had a good game getting under the skin of Phaneuf a time or two. It was Dupont who caused Dion an injury earlier in the season that kept him out for a while.
The kids looked good too. Dansereau has impressed me a few times already this season while Ryan White should be a big star in this league and I know that I've said that before.
Riley Merkley has had somewhat of a breakout year scoring his 12 goal of the season in this game. He potted only 5 last season in 12 more games.

Anyway, crucial win for the Rebels moving them into a tie with the Hitmen having played a game less. No rest for the wicked though as both teams are right back at it at the Dome on Wednesday night.

Nature Boy
01-26-2005, 04:58 PM
I heard that it was a great game. The fights between Ladd and Phaneuf and then Fraz and Getzlaf were good. I quit listening when the hitmen were up 2-0 but the rebels made another comeback. I thought that the turning point in the game was the hit that Phaneuf made on Getzlaf that knocked him out of the game. Also a huge turning point was the Rebels killing off the 5 on three and scoring on their 5 on 3 oppritunity. Also the timely goaltending of Andrew Leslie, way to go Andrew. The rebels powerplay was a key to the win.

Tinner
01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Just a thought from listeneing to last nights game....does it seem to anyone else that we have been behind the 8 ball the last few games because of giving up an early goal or two. Listening to Mooner, first shot on goal they score, and maybe it was suspect? Was it.

We need to weather the storm and get the 1st goal!