PDA

View Full Version : Pats Acquire Mike Wall From Everett

Fight Guy
09-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Pats Acquire Mike Wall From Everett

September 15, 2005

PATS ACQUIRE MIKE WALL FROM EVERETT

Regina SK ---- This afternoon the Regina Pats acquired twenty-year-old goaltender Mike Wall from the Everett Silvertips in exchange for a fifth round pick in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

In fifty-six games with the Silvertips last season Wall posted a 24-22-8 record with a 1.92 GAA. Wall’s .931 save percentage was third best in the league, behind Matt Keetley of Medicine Hat & Kootenay Ice goaltender Jeff Glass. His ten shutouts were second best in the league behind Bryan Bridges of Seattle.

The 6’2” 205lb product of Telkwa, BC is currently attending the training camp of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Should Wall return to the WHL, Everett will also receive future considerations from the Pats.

“We felt very comfortable going forward with the goalies that we have in camp but when the opportunity arose to get a player who is arguably the best at his position in the WHL we could not refuse. It is not a guarantee that he will return from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, but if he does we have added a big piece to our team. If he does not return it will be David Reekie’s job to run with, and we are confident in his ability and have all the faith in him that he will do the job,” commented Pats GM Brent Parker.

----------------------------------------------------------

Surprised the Pats did this. I wouldnt think they would go for a 20yo goalie, but Im not complaining. Hope he returns from Anahiem.

Tipped Off
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
If he doesn;t sign with the Ducks you'll love his work ethic. Of course the Ducks cut some more people today and he wasn't one of them...yet.

Number_4
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
So much for Parker being happy with the 20yr olds that we have. I hope he returns for another season, we could use an experienced goalie. Now which goaltender will be released if he comes? Anyone?

Fight Guy
09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Im thinking Reekie would stick around. He has the most experience in the 'Dub and is a decent goalie...unless Neizer really impresses. I dont about Rowatt.

Number_4
09-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I'm unsure about Rowatt too. From what I've seen of him, I wasnt too impressed. The games I saw during training camp, I wasnt too impressed. I was surprised that he's still on the roster. I dont know, perhaps I saw a bad game... Reekie is a decent goalie. I have to wonder tho, if they would keep Neizer around because he is young, give him some more experience before next year, when he will be asked to take on a bigger role. If Mike Wall comes back, he is capable of playing a huge chunk of the games, if he stays healthy. With someone like that around to be a role model and keep the team alive, why not keep Neizer around?

This is all assuming that Wall will return to the WHL for another year. If not, Reekie and Neizer should stay, but that does put more pressure on the young goalies.

Tipped Off
09-16-2005, 12:03 AM
The Tips also get a conditional 3rd rounder in 07 if Wall reports to Regina.

The Everett Silvertips have dealt goaltender Michael Wall to the Regina Pats for a 2006- 5th Round Bantam Pick and a conditional 2007- 3rd Round Bantam Selection.

Wall played in 91 games for the Silvertips in the last two seasons. Last season, the Telkwa, British Columbia native finished 5th in the WHL in Goals Against Average (1.92), 3rd in Save Percentage (.931), tied for 8th in Wins (24) and 2nd in the WHL in Shutouts (10). In the 2005 WHL Playoffs, Wall finished with a 2.15 Goals Against Average and a .936 Save Percentage. Wall currently holds the Silvertips franchise record for most shutouts in a season with 10 shutouts. Wall was also honored by the Canadian Hockey League as the winner of the Western Hockey League's Canada Post Cup Award.

Wall is currently at the Anaheim Mighty Ducks training camp. If Wall is returned to the Regina Pats the Silvertips would receive the conditional 3rd Round Selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

"This was the first time in our organization that we had to decide which 20 year olds we had to keep," mentions Everett Silvertips Director of Hockey Operations/Head Coach, Kevin Constantine. "We made the trade for four reasons. One, we were able to make a trade that gave us a draft pick whether Mike signs a pro contract or not. Second, we were able to receive the draft picks we lost in the Lammers deal this summer. We also did not feel that having a very talented player sitting on the bench every night like Wall or Irving as our two goaltenders made sense for our organization and the trade opens for one of our 20 year olds to stay on the team. That being said, this still was an incredible difficult decision to make because Mike carried our team last season and we wish Mike all of the best whether he signs a NHL contract or not."

nivek_wahs
09-16-2005, 02:35 AM
If Wall returns:
Wall starts
Reekie backs up
Nieszner gets reassigned to SJHL (somewhere)
Rowat gets reassigned to Midget AAA (Notre Dame where he played last year)

If Wall stays pro:
Reekie starts
Nieszner backs up
Rowat gets reassigned to Midget AAA (Notre Dame where he played last year)

Comments on Pats goalies other than Wall:
David Reekie didn't look too good at the start of camp but did get better as camp went on. Didn't play too well in the Blue/White game but he is the incumbent so I figured he would get the nod in goal.

Ryan Nieszner has looked sharp and I think he has really improved from last year (with that saying he was only 16 last year). He makes some spectacular saves and is very agile in net and plays his position well.

Linden Rowat in my opinion was the best goalie in camp (most consistant, anyway). But only being 16 hurts his status in the WHL, as the league is cutting back on the use of 16 year olds, it would do him good to play a full year of Midget instead of backing up and only getting 10-15 games.

Kevin

witness
09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
I don't say this often (OK never), but this was a great trade by Parker. The possiblity of giving up two draft choices for one of the top 5 goaltenders in the league, Brillant!
If Wall gets signed, we give up a 5th round maybe player. If he is sent down, it will make the Pats season much more interesting. I think they could content for a playoff spot.
I think the Pats have a real good chance to get the guy. If the Ducks truely like Wall and want to develop him, they have two choices: Send him to the ECHL where he will get back up duty with a possiblity of working to a starting job, or send him to the Pats where he will get a ton of playing time.

The_Target
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
I am sorry but you will never get Wall. He will go pro. and what a slap in the face to be traded to a team who had the worst record last year in the WHL.

Sorry but Mike deserves better than that

nivek_wahs
09-20-2005, 04:50 AM
A quote from Mike Wall from Friday September 16th Leader Post...

"I think it's going to be a great opportunity for me, it's going to be an opportunity where I'd get to play more games than I would have in Everett. I don't know a lot about Regina. Being from the west, we don't really get a of info on the Central and East Division. But I think it'll be a great opportunity for me to play more and contribute to the team as much as I can."

Deserves better... you have got to be kidding me. General Managers do their best to make their teams better, in picking up Mike Wall the Pats have a legit shot at having one of the top goalies in the WHL playing for them. Everett traded his rights knowing that they had a good goalie that wasn't an overager (Irving) so they had a chance to move him for something (regardless if he plays for the Pats or not). Any veteran of the WHL (or a CHL team) knows that one day they might get traded to a team that isn't so strong. And If they have been around for a while they suck it up and play to the best of their abilities to prove that they are as good as they have been made out to be by other teams fans/media.

If I am not mistaken it's a new season and many teams have new revamped rosters, some for the better and some for the worse. Just because the Pats were not very good last year doesn't mean they will be as bad, with or without Wall in net (he would make them that much better). They are a much improved team this year, will surprise a lot of people :thumb:

Kevin

The_Target
09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Dont get your hopes up Wall is kicking A@# in camp and should be going pro :clap:

and BTW good luck this season I do hope that they do better

Tipped Off
09-22-2005, 12:30 PM
http://www.portlandpirates.com/roster.asp

Looks like Mike Wall (although they spelled his name "Walls" has been added to the Portland Pirates roster

Fight Guy
09-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Well...there's still the chance that he may not get the job there...which I'm hoping for...lol. There are 3 goalies on that roster, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Number_4
09-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I did some research on the three goalies on the roster. Rich Parent has been playing for some time now. From what I could tell, he played for Spokane back in 92-93, and has been bouncing around ever since. He played 14 games for the TB Lightning back in 2000 i believe, and has played mainly in Europe over the last couple of years. Nathan Marsters has been playing in the NCAA until last year, when he played in the ECHL. Both of them seem to have a bit more experience than Mike Wall, so hopefully we will get him back. However, if he plays like he can, and they arent scared of going with two AHL rookies, he might just stay.

Fight Guy
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I looked into that before aswell. I hoping for the best...for the Pats.