PDA

View Full Version : Khudobin stellar in loss to Medicine Hat...

Trav
09-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Even though the Blades lost 2-1 in a shootout, Khudobin played very well. The Tigers look to have a good team this year as they had like 50+ shots on net.

Lefty
09-17-2005, 02:27 AM
The Tigers played fairly well, but were nothing spectacular.

What you did fail to mention was the fact that Medicine Hat went 0 for 17 on the PP. I am not exaggerating when the Blades were on the PK for close to half the game. This included a span of 4 straight minutes down two men.

Khubodin definitely impressed me though. Goaltending is something we won't have to worry about for the first time in a few years. Though it's only been one game, I think he's the best goalie we've had in the past 5 years.

Trav
09-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Thanks Lefty, I did miss pointing that out. The Blades gotta work on not taking dumb penalties, sounds like some were uncalled for. As for Khudobin, well I wasn't at the game so I can't compare him to past goaltenders but I do wanna point out that Ryan Cyr was a good starter for us last year, bailed the team out a couple times. Do have a feeling that Khudobin will be a fine starter for us, interesting to see if Molleken can get anything for Monette from anyone, my guess though would be no and he'll be released or something.

Lefty
09-17-2005, 03:02 AM
Thanks Lefty, I did miss pointing that out. The Blades gotta work on not taking dumb penalties, sounds like some were uncalled for. As for Khudobin, well I wasn't at the game so I can't compare him to past goaltenders but I do wanna point out that Ryan Cyr was a good starter for us last year, bailed the team out a couple times. Do have a feeling that Khudobin will be a fine starter for us, interesting to see if Molleken can get anything for Monette from anyone, my guess though would be no and he'll be released or something.

There were a lot of stupid penalties tonight. For example, Cameron got 6 minutes in penalties on one play (2 for roughing, 4 for spearing), which is really where the penalty troubles started.

The one thing I noticed about Khubodin is that he had a bit of trouble adjusting to the new rules. He got two delay of game penalties and one for shooting the puck outside of his little area. I completely missed what that penalty is "labeled" as. 59 (including 26 in the 3rd period alone) saves in 3 periods is pretty impressive though.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Only improve as the time passes and he will have to adjust to the new rules aimed at the goalies, as he had 3 Delay of Game penalties. You have to give him a break as he just started his career in the WHL, he is a very good goalie and he will help us alot this season.

Billy Blade
09-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Wow, 59 saves?! That's freakin' incredible!

maple leaf
09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
he looked awsome, he's very quick. The only knock I've heard is that he is up and down in his play, but if this is what we have to look foward to it's going to be a very nice year.

Lefty
09-18-2005, 03:02 AM
wow those are huge words for preseason games..i remember a game where tugnutt made 60 some saves in the show and he wasent even good..

It's all relative. Outside Cyr last season, goaltending has been one of the weak points on the team for the last 5-10 years. So when I say that Khubodin is the best goalie we've had in five years, I don't think its as riduculous as you think. I suppose that could speak volumes on how bad goaltending has been for the Blades, how good Khubodin could be, or a combination of the two.

As for your comparison to Tugnutt... thats your opinion. Given the fact you didn't see the game on Friday, I think you should reserve your judgement. For a goalie playing his first game with a team and knowing little (if any) English, I think Khubodin deserves at least a bit of respect.

Billy Blade
09-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Then you would know he carried a Russian squad that didn't really deserve to be in the final to the silver medal. Even Nikolai Khabibulin would have had trouble in net against that particular Canadian squad.

Lefty
09-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Don't waste your time with him Billy, raiderfan17 is just trying to aggravate us Blades fans.

Billy Blade
09-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Ah, it's not a big deal. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Nobody ever sees eye to eye on every player out there anyway. All I know is that I'm very excited about the potential Khudobin brings us this season after many years of suspect goaltending.