PDA

View Full Version : preseason vs. giants-info?

original6
09-17-2005, 12:21 PM
I cant seem to find a gamesheet for last nights game. Were any of the vets back in lineup? Anyone have a game report to share?

Beaner
09-17-2005, 01:30 PM
There is thread in the gaints forum about it.

But for more of a look at how Kelowna was looking I will offer up my best. Difficult to keep a track on the Kelowna players as they had no names on the jersies. I'll take off my "Giants Glasses" for this. :laugh:

Goaltender Murtagh played the game, and played ok. Got beat on 2 goals on the stick side high from shots from the faceoff circle. Average at best.

Forwards as a whole played well, forechecked like crazy, good cycle, and when on the PP the did a great job of keeping the puck low and passing it around. Typical Kelowna play style for the forwards. Both teams forwards are very quick and aggressive.

Defence I would have to say was the weakest part of the Kelowna game tonight. Point men had trouble keeping the puck in the zone on the PP, and seemed to be hesitant over what to do with the puck once they got it. Not what I am used to seeing with Kelowna PP. Dowzak (#2) was one who stood out as not having a very good game. They also seemed to not want to make the long breakout pass, even when they had a guy in the clear.

Overall it was a pre-season game, both teams were missing their "key" players, and there was a lot of sloppy play all-over, as well as a lot of retalitory penalties. I think it was Howarth who got 4 for spearing? But I cant remember.

If I was a Kelwona fan, knowing what is coming back to the team afer the NHL camps, I would be most concerned about defence after watching that game - but I know you were missing a couple key guys. Still, replacing Weber and Palin is going to be tough. It showed the most on the PP.

Anyway hope that gives you a little insight.

Jovorock
09-18-2005, 10:12 AM
GIANTS DUMP ROCKETS AND FINISH 8-0
By Matt Barkoff

The Vancouver Giants iced a perfect pre-season by taking out the Kelowna Rockets 3-1 on Saturday night. Blueliner Brett Festerling, who recently signed a National Hockey League contract with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, chipped in with a goal and an assist, while rookie goaltender Tommy Tartaglione made 23 saves en route to his 7th win of the exhibition schedule.

Tim Kraus, fresh off a natural hat trick in Friday's 4-3 triumph over the Rockets in Vancouver, scored the Giants first goal, sliding in a rebound from the door step at 9:47 of the first period. Impressive rookie forward Spencer Machecek took a shot from the right faceoff circle after gathering a pass from defender Max Gordichuk and Kraus was there to finish off the play. Festerling converted a third rebound opportunity as the G-Men stormed Rockets' goalie Kristofer Westblom on a powerplay at 5:37 of the middle frame. Mitch Bartley and Michal Repik both had good shots from in close, allowing two-way threat Festerling to dash in and score. The 19 year old backliner later sent a tape-to-tape pass to Machacek who snapped the puck low inside the far post at 9:12 of the second.

Tartaglione's shutout bid was ruined when Troy Ofukany beat him on a rebound from beside the net late in the game. Thomas Raffl and Kevin Reinholt drew the assists on the powerplay tally at 13:30 of the final period - the only blemish on Tartaglione's outing. Just 17, the young netminder finished off the pre-season 7-0 and shone in particular on Saturday when the Giants were forced to kill off a second period double minor penalty to Machacek. Tartaglione will start the regular season as the backup behind Dustin Slade who should return from New Jersey's training camp in time for the club's first game on Friday back in Kelowna.

The Giants out-shot the Rockets 34-24 and scored once on the powerplay in five chances. Kelowna had eight opportunities and scored their lone goal while playing a man up.

Beaner
09-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Did any of you make it to Saturdays game?

Jovorock
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM
This was one of the most boring game I have ever went to. No one from either team stood out, on the eve of final cuts it looked like a scrimmage game?

Tysen Dowzak had some good passes out of the defensive zone and a couple bad ones. But this kid is going to need a little time and will be a great one.

Thomsom and Mudrewich both looked average on defense last night, they both looked better agaisnt the Blazers. If the Rockets add a 20 yr old d-man there won't be any room for either this year.

Roteliuk has good speed but hasn't shown enough to make the team this year.

Hill has shown more speed last night and did play better than last weekend, but still doesn't look like he is ready for a regular shift.

Colin Long has looked good, for early in the season and being a rookie I can't believe he actually back checks. You can see he has all the tools and only needs some consistant line mates and he will fill the net.

Cuthbert hasn't done much in the two games this preseason in Kelowna, I expected more of Cutter but it has been hard to find him on the ice?

Anderson hits good in the offensive zone, but took two goaltender interference penaltys last night. Maybe he didn't deserve both of them but he was so close to the goalie when the play wasn't even close that he drew both penalties? Being a 19 yr old rookie I can't see the Rockets keeping him.

People say Sylvester is fighting for a spot on this team, looking at his effort last night, he has given up his job.

Cody Almond looked better last night than against the Blazers, he has probly made the team as a spare. Almond looked better in training camp than during the exhibition games, but has alot of upside and will only get better.

Myles MacRae still doesn't look as good as he did last year during his seven game call up. He hasn't been as aggresive as last year and really hasn't done that much.

Thomas Raffl must be getting use to the North American game, has shown some brilliance, then sometimes it is hard to find him on the ice.

Luke Schenn has alot of upside, he just needs some good coaching from Huska and he will be fine this year as a 7th d-man.

Kevin Reinholt is darn near a rookie, two years of injuries is tough on anyone. Kevin has looked good in the two games in Kelowna and if he can remain healthy will get alot of ice time this year.