PDA

View Full Version : Some small changes to the site

Billy Blade
09-19-2005, 01:05 PM
As you may or may not have noticed over the last little while, a problem had surfaced between the version of the MySQL database server my host was using and this message board software. It resulted in some crashed (lost) threads, and even the entire Kootenay Ice forum. Today I completed the switch-over from my old host to a new more reliable host that will help the site grow and prosper.

Unfortunately, the costs associated with this move are now a little higher for me, so to ensure the long-term operation of the site I have chosen to incorporate some google ads to cover a little bit of the operating costs. It is and always will remain my mission to keep this site 100% free and non-profit, by the fans for the fans. I will keep the advertising as unobtrusive as possible, and will stay away from those evil pop-ups. :D

If you would like to help out, there is a very easy way you can do so. Every once in a while if you could click on one of the ads, preferably one at the bottom of the page in either the image or text links, that would help out. You don't need to do anything at the site you're taken to once you click it, it will simply give us a click-through credit. No cost to you other than a few seconds of your time! :)

If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Thank you as always for your support!

langdak
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
As you may or may not have noticed over the last little while, a problem had surfaced between the version of the MySQL database server my host was using and this message board software. It resulted in some crashed (lost) threads, and even the entire Kootenay Ice forum. Today I completed the switch-over from my old host to a new more reliable host that will help the site grow and prosper.

Unfortunately, the costs associated with this move are now a little higher for me, so to ensure the long-term operation of the site I have chosen to incorporate some google ads to cover a little bit of the operating costs. It is and always will remain my mission to keep this site 100% free and non-profit, by the fans for the fans. I will keep the advertising as unobtrusive as possible, and will stay away from those evil pop-ups. :D

If you would like to help out, there is a very easy way you can do so. Every once in a while if you could click on one of the ads, preferably one at the bottom of the page in either the image or text links, that would help out. You don't need to do anything at the site you're taken to once you click it, it will simply give us a click-through credit. No cost to you other than a few seconds of your time! :)

If you have any comments, concerns, or suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Thank you as always for your support!

Is it just me or has the site slowed down quite considerably?

I am noticing that it is moving at a snail's pace most of the time now, and i know its not my computer, as its the same on my home computer as it is on the 5 computers in my office

just thought i would point that out

Cheers!

Chipper
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Is it just me or has the site slowed down quite considerably?

I am noticing that it is moving at a snail's pace most of the time now, and i know its not my computer, as its the same on my home computer as it is on the 5 computers in my office

just thought i would point that out

Cheers!
I have felt that its slower also but I thought it was my light speed shaw conection. I guess there may be a couple things to work out yet.

langdak
09-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I have felt that its slower also but I thought it was my light speed shaw conection. I guess there may be a couple things to work out yet.

i dont think its your connection

i have cable internet at home and adsl at the office and it is slow in both places

Billy Blade
09-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Yes, it is considerably slower right now. I've been talking to the support for the new hosting company and am working on it. I don't know if anything can be done or not, they claim there has been some unusual load on the server I'm currently on the last few days from some spammers that they are trying to isolate.

Part of the problem is that my old server, while unreliable with MySQL, was blazingly fast. So much so that it makes most other hosts seem really slow in comparison. It was also located in Edmonton with only six hops to the Shaw network, whereas this server is now in New Jersey with ten hops. The ping time is alright, at 54ms average (for you techies out there) but it was only about 18ms before with the old server. I will try changing the DNS server back to the old one which might help speed up the response of the queries a bit.

If all else fails, I might just be stuck looking for yet another new home right away, something that will have the reliability AND speed. :(

Triton
09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
i dont think its your connection

i have cable internet at home and adsl at the office and it is slow in both places

It has been slower on my end as well.

langdak
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
back to normal speed again :clap:

Billy Blade
09-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Yes, I have switched hosts yet again and believe that we've finally found a new home that should work. :)

langdak
09-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Yes, I have switched hosts yet again and believe that we've finally found a new home that should work. :)

Thanks Billy

Great job around here

LifelongChiefsFan
09-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't know if you've answered this before, but I'm just curious if you're going to put the scoreboard back up at the top of the site. That was really convenient.

Also, I want to add that I love the work you do for this site, thanks for all the time you put into it to keep it running for us!

Billy Blade
09-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact I was working on finding out about the real time header again today. It should be back up real soon.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Maybe you could set up a time period where all of us(that want to) could edit or change our usernames, i now that I read somewhere that someone could only change thier username if there was a good reason for doing so.

Billy Blade
09-30-2005, 09:28 PM
If you'd like to change your username just send me a private message with what you want it to be.