PDA

View Full Version : Deck expected to be named Pats' new Captain

nivek_wahs
09-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Pats clear the Deck for new captain

Greg Harder
Leader-Post

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Kyle Deck is ready to lead the Regina Pats -- by land, by ice, even by C.

"I would love that," said the 19-year-old defenceman, who's expected to be introduced this week as the next captain of the WHL club. "That's the coach's decision but, if I can do that, it would be awesome. I've been taking notes the past couple years from (Rick) Rypien and (Chris) Schlenker. They were both great captains. Whoever gets it, that's awesome, but I'd love to have it."

Deck is entering his fourth season with the Pats, who acquired the Sedley product from the Kamloops Blazers midway through the 2002-03 campaign.

Deck's transition into a leadership role began last season when he was named one of Rypien's assistant captains. Now it's someone else's turn to wear the target on his chest.

"I like being under pressure," Deck noted. "I feel like I have to play harder. I like talking to all the boys (in the dressing room). I think they respect me and I respect them."

Deck is already considered one of Regina's undisputed leaders -- in the room, on the ice and away from the rink.

Those duties will be made official when the captain's C is stitched onto his No. 4 jersey, a lasting symbol of his commitment to the success of the WHL franchise.

Deck's inauguration will also mark the final passing of the torch from Rypien, who graduated from the junior ranks last season and is now with the AHL's Manitoba Moose.

Rypien was regarded as the Pats' heart and soul -- arguably their most-respected leader since Garth Murray -- and one of the few bright lights in an otherwise dismal campaign.

His departure leaves a gaping hole in Regina's lineup.

"He was a great leader, a great captain," Deck said. "He would stick up for anyone at any time. He's just a great guy, too. If that were to happen, it would be a privilege to be captain after him."

Rypien's reign will likely have an impact on his successor, but fans shouldn't expect a clone of last year's hard-nosed captain. The happy-go-lucky Deck brings his own unique style of leadership.

"I lead with how I play," he said. "If someone needed to be yelled at, it happens, but I'm not someone who will just scream and yell at someone. I lead on the ice."

Fortunately for Deck, his transition to more of a mentorship role won't be further complicated by a change of position. A search for more offence led Regina's brass to try Deck at forward in training camp, but that experiment has been scrapped.

"I liked going up front, but I'm glad to be back on defence," said Deck, who played his minor hockey as a forward. "I realized why I liked defence when I came back. There's just a comfort level."

Under the circumstances, Deck's comfort couldn't be a higher priority.

"For him to take the ownership that we would like from him, it's best for him to play where he's comfortable," head coach Curtis Hunt said during the preseason. "The second thing is, it's about minutes. He's going to get more minutes as a D. Thirdly, he could easily be one of the top D in our conference, if not our league. Let's give him an opportunity to shine there and help those younger players. He's a year older now and he'll be better able to not only improve his own game but serve as a leader."

EXTRAS: The Pats made two roster moves on Monday, assigning G Ryan Nieszner, 17, to the SJHL's Kindersley Klippers and D Matt MacDermott, 17, to the AJHL's Okotoks Oilers. Nieszner's new address means Linden Rowat, 16, has tentatively landed the Pats' backup job behind David Reekie. Those assignments will change if the NHL's Anaheim Mighty Ducks send recently acquired 20-year-old Michael Wall back to Regina. The Pats expect to hear news on Wall later this week . . . The return of Czech RW Petr Kalus from Boston Bruins training camp has been delayed. The Bruins are expected to dress Kalus in a pair of exhibition games before returning him to Regina. He should still be back for Friday's season opener against the host Brandon Wheat Kings.

Kevin

Courtney08-
09-23-2005, 11:48 PM
who are they A' :confused: s?

Fight Guy
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Kyle Ross and Garrett Festerling. Then McGillivray is the away alternate while Reinhart is the home alternate.

Courtney08-
09-24-2005, 11:36 AM
hurray for KYLE :clap:

red_wing
09-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Deck defenitly Deserves this. He is such a great guy, he tried to lead the team through teh losing streak aswell.

Courtney08-
09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
as does Ross!!! good for him im glad to hear that he is doing so well@ :groovy: