PDA

View Full Version : Vandy's no fan of shootout

Sput
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Vandy's no fan of shootout

By Harpreet Sidhu

Free Press
Sep 21 2005

The Prince George Cougars are still undefeated after a five game exhibition season. But things will get underway for real on Friday night when the Cougars open house against the Seattle Thunderbirds at the Roundhouse.

With 26 players remaining as of Monday, Prince George Cougars head coach Mike Vandekamp will soon reduce that number to 23.

"Definitely we're carrying at least one extra guy above the 20 year old situation. It's a little unfortunate we've got a couple of guys who are injured and have been able to play," said Vandekamp. The Cats still have five 20-year-olds on their roster and will be allowed to only play three a game until October 10 when they must cut down to the maximum three.

"All five guys have shown up in good shape and it's going to be a tough decision. As their coach I've tried to help them and give them direction if they can stick and even with that they aren't guaranteed the will be around," said Vandekamp. Myles Zimmer and Brett Parker sat out the only home exhibition game against Kamloops on Friday night. On Saturday in Kamloops Devin Featherstone and Kris Deines were healthy scratches.

The Cats defeated the Blazers at home 4-3, winning with the shootout. Dan Gendur was the only player to score.

"I can't stand the shootout but we will accept it because it's part of the game,"said Vandekamp.

"Hopefully the fans will enjoy it that was part of the reason it was brought in. And hopefully not too many of the big games will be lost in the shoot out.

"I thought we were a bit more nervous and scrambling. It was a combination of tightness and nervousness," he said. "I didn't think we played as physical as we have been playing. I don't think we put the puck in as deep or got the forecheck going as much as we have in the past. We'll do our best to get this ironed out before Friday night."

Game time is 7:30 p.m. at the CN Centre. Both teams will be back on the ice on Saturday, same time.

Courtney08-
09-22-2005, 07:22 PM
well there there are more rules that im not afan of i can handle the shoot out but the rest are pretty bad rules.. So much for good ol canadian hockey.. now we play like the euros :burningma

Sput
09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
To me it doesn't matter how much they mess with certain rules, as long as they can somehow succed in getting the stick work out of the game. The shootout...I can live with it, but think its a lousy way to decide a games outcome. We will all just have to wait and see how the refs end up calling things this season before we can pass to much judgement on most of the rules.