PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Named Captain of the Tips

Tipped Off
09-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Tips name Wheat captain
Everett's leading scorer from last season was nominated by his teammates.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The mantle of Everett Silvertips leadership has been passed to Torrie Wheat. Wheat was voted captain for the upcoming season by his teammates, making him the third player in franchise history to don the captain's "C."

Wheat, a 20-year-old right wing, follows in the footsteps of defenseman Bryan Nathe, who was Everett's captain in its first season, and defenseman Mitch Love, who captained the Tips last season.

"Obviously it's an honor," Wheat said. "It's something that I'm pretty excited for. As a leader I've always tried to lead by example. Now this year I might have to take on more responsibility as far as being vocal. There's a couple things in my game I need to work on to be a better captain, but it's something I'm really happy to do and glad to do."

Wheat has carried a heavy load during his Silvertips career. He was Everett's leading scorer last season, scoring 25 goals and dishing out 32 assists, and was one of the Tips' best defensive forwards each of the last two seasons. He served as an assistant captain last season.

Two other overagers, defenseman Shaun Heshka and center Mark Kress, were voted alternate captains, as was 19-year-old defenseman Cody Thoring. All three will wear an "A."

All four players chosen for leadership were with the Silvertips from day one of their existence.

"Torrie is just a great choice," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "He's been such a good player for us and such a good leader on our team. He's definitely the right guy for the job, just the way Mitch and Bryan Nathe were the right guys for the job.

"The other guys, Shaun Heshka has come a long way in this organization, Cody's been just as steady as can be for us, and Mark Kress has been here from the beginning," Constantine added. "Those guys know all about what our expectations are and they're the right guys to lead the way in terms of letting the other guys know what's expected of them."

Blatchford returns home: Defenseman Ryan Blatchford, not in Everett's plans for the upcoming season, has returned home.

The 20-year-old Blatchford, one of the odd men out among Everett's glut of overagers, has returned home to Kelvington, Saskatchewan, where he'll await either a trade or the overager deadline date (Oct. 13) to determine his future.

"He's got a team that he can play for at the Junior A level," Constantine said. "Pending what happens here in the next couple weeks he's going to go get ready for that. If someone's interested in a trade we'll certainly entertain that. If no one's interested in a trade we've got to let him go on Oct. 13 and maybe someone will pick him up in the league."

Blatchford, an original Silvertip, played in 138 of Everett's 144 regular season games during its first two years of experience. He had three goals and 20 assists in his time with the Silvertips. "Cutdowns are the worst part of the season for a coach," Constantine said. "It's no fun telling a player he can't be part of your team, and it's even worse with guys who have already made such a strong contribution."

With Blatchford gone, Everett has four overagers remaining with the team - Wheat, Heshka, Kress and left wing Kyle Annesley.

Mueller out of opener: It turns out Peter Mueller's WHL debut is going to be put on hold for a week. Mueller received a one-game suspension from the league for receiving a gross misconduct in last Sunday's exhibition game against Seattle. As a result, Mueller will not be on the ice when the Silvertips open the season Saturday at Kamloops.

"Illegal use of body language," was how Constantine described Mueller's offense, which happened during the shootout. "It's a tough little lesson to learn, but I'm sure he won't illegally use body language any time in the future."

Instead Mueller will make his highly-anticipated debut at home Oct. 1 against Prince George.

Heshkak
09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Nice Job collecting these articles.

A big THANKS.

-Hesh

Tipped Off
09-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I was gone for the weekend, but I plan to post all the articles throughout the year on here. so Check back often and feel free to throw your 2 cents in to get some discussions going.