PDA

View Full Version : Brett Parker no longer a Cougar

Sput
09-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Sep 22 2005

Parker Departs

PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have announced that Brett Parker has been sent home to Melville, SASK to await a trade.
“We felt that having five 20 year old players on our roster was not a healthy situation for our organization, team, or our players”, states Cougars General Manager Dallas Thompson. “We will make arrangements for Brett as soon as possible”, finished Thompson.
The Cougars would like to thank Brett for his 3 years of service to the club, and wish him the best of luck in the future.

Sput
09-22-2005, 10:40 PM
As far as I was concerned this was a given this year. Slow starts, not excelling at any single skills made this probably the easiest decision Thompson had to make so far. I do wish Brett all the best, and hope he excelles with whatever team should pick him up.

Sput
09-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Parker sent packing

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

If Brett Parker is to finish his junior career in the WHL, it will be with another team.
The 20-year-old right-winger was advised Thursday, on the eve of the season-opener, that he's not in the Prince George Cougars' plans for the coming season.

Parker, who played three years in Prince George, is heading home to Melville, Sask., where he will await a trade that Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson says he should be able to arrange.

"Having four guys is not the best situation, and having five is even worse," said Thompson, who still has one overage decision to make — the team is one over the limit, and must release or trade one of Kris Deines, Devin Featherstone, Myles Zimmer or Colin Patterson by Oct. 13.

"We knew he wouldn't be one of the three, and we thought the best thing to do was tell him and it was the best thing to do for both sides. We'll talk to Brett every day and let him know where we're at. It was a tough conversation."

Parker, who was told of the decision at noon in a meeting with Thompson and coaches Mike Vandekamp and Stew Malgunas, plans to skate with the SJHL's Melville Millionaires while awaiting a move. If a place in the WHL can't be found, he will suit up for the Junior A squad that at one time had older brother Derek, from Hockey Enforcers fame, on the roster.

"They said I wasn't part of the final three, so they thought they'd let me go home and wait," said Parker.

"I'm sad, sure, because I've been here three years. I was kinda prepared for it with five here and only three spots, but you don't want it to happen. It's sinking in, but I haven't come to grips with it yet. I had really good billets here, good friends on the team, so it's tough."

Parker's best hockey as a Cougar was the first half of last season, when he led the team with goals at 13 following the Christmas break. But his most frustrating stretch ensued — he went into an offensive slide in the second half, scoring just once and finding himself a healthy scratch in a key game in the final month.

"Yeah, he struggled in the second half, but that didn't make the decision — that came with the makeup of the other guys," said Thompson.

"He's been a good guy, played his heart out every night. There was a lot of movement there for awhile getting guys out of here who didn't fit, and obviously he stayed around because he was a heart-and-soul guy. I remember going to see Brett play when he was 15 and 16 and he was so excited to be coming to Prince George."

Parker's best and worst memories are easy to guess — his first game and goal on the positive side, the non-playoff finishes on the negative.

"I'll always remember my first game against Kootenay and my first goal, against Saskatoon," said the scrappy Parker, a welterweight who would battle all comers.

"When we had a run with myself, (Eric) Hunter and Myles (Zimmer) on the Young Guns line, that was a good high. Making playoffs was the best, not making it the last two years was the low, no question."

Parker's final season ended with totals of 14 goals, 20 assists and 128 penalty minutes. His Cougars book is closed with 35 goals, 65 assists, 100 points and 398 penalty minutes. He missed just two regular season games in three seasons, and played five playoff games with no points and one minor penalty.

• The Cougars were told Thursday that defenceman Andy Rogers will stay with the Tampa Bay Lightning through the weekend, but will be returned next week.

westbeach55
10-01-2005, 04:07 AM
the Prince Albert raiders should release brett novak and pick up brett parker

Sput
10-01-2005, 11:00 AM
It was reported that Parker wants to finish his junior career with the Melville Mustangs in the SJHL.