PDA

View Full Version : Award the Stanley Cup to the CHL Champion

wango tango
01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
If there is no NHL season and Lord Stanley's mug is to be awarded to the best team in hockey. Why not award it to the CHL Champion?

The part I don't like is putting the Memorial Cup on the shelf for a season as the history behind its name, and the history of winners is long and illustrous.

Could the CHL Champion be both Stanley Cup and Memorial Cup champion?

The_Vulk
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
But then, the CHL should demand it every year, with or without NHL hockey.

Chipper
01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
I think the minor leagues would probably be first in line

RunTheGoalie
01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
The AHL is a higher calibre league than the CHL, so there is no way you could argue that the Memorial Cup Champion is the best team in hockey.

Besides, the CHL already has the aforementioned Memorial Cup.

Knee-jerk "solutions" on what to do with the cup are pointless. The Stanley Cup is NHL property. It simply will not be awarded if there is no NHL season, and there is nothing more than that that can or will be done.

Jew Panda
01-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Awarding the Cup to a non-NHL team would be insulting to the fine men that built this game to what it is today.

The CHL has it's Memorial Cup, the AHL has it's..... yeah. :]

fightstrap50
02-09-2005, 01:34 PM
i have seen or ead somewhere that the stanley cup can be played for by anyone so long as they have e reputible league to play for it, is this true or somewhat true??? anyone ??

Furback
02-09-2005, 04:40 PM
have the winner of the calder cup the winner of the memerial cup the winner of the frozen four all face off for a chance at the cup that would be fun.

grumphy
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
i have seen or ead somewhere that the stanley cup can be played for by anyone so long as they have e reputible league to play for it, is this true or somewhat true??? anyone ??
The cup was originally a challange cup for the best team in canadian hockey. long before there was a NHL maybe we should say to hell with the pros and go back to the roots :)

Furback
02-09-2005, 06:18 PM
ya the cup has been awarded strickly to nhl teams since 1927. the nhl took exclusive control of the cup in 1947. from 1893 to 1917 the cup was challenged then from 1918 to 1926 the winner of the nhl and the winner of the pacific coast league would play for the cup. I dont know what they will do with the cup but the rat bettman says he has a plan so we will see.

fightstrap50
02-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Awarding the Cup to a non-NHL team would be insulting to the fine men that built this game to what it is today.

The CHL has it's Memorial Cup, the AHL has it's..... yeah. :]

the fine men, be they players or coaches or owners,were one fine young kids playing in minor leagues just like these!!! if there were no minors thered be no NHL,would there! and the fine men of tomorow are the ones were all watching right now.

fightstrap50
02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
The cup was originally a challange cup for the best team in canadian hockey. long before there was a NHL maybe we should say to hell with the pros and go back to the roots :)
im happy to be able to watch the chl in my home town and strongly believe its better and more entertaining to watch,and its only $sixteen bucks at the door to walk up!! $800 for two seasons seats,way better than the pros in my mind