PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Home Opener....

Nielson11
09-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey Guys,

Here are some brief thoughts on Friday's home opener.

For starters, I know it's not an on ice thing, but the Hurricanes Staff need to get a new IN House host. I have nothing personal against the two college kids they have doing it, but as for being in house hosts....not good. I can think of atleast 10 people in town who would do a better job.

OK onto the game.

First thing I didn't understand was Mezei on the blueline....he played the entire pre-season up front, then drops back. I know this probably was because Benny Wright has a sore foot, but I guess we'll see.

The Canes definetly had trouble generating offensive opportunities. They aren't going to do this with finess, they need to play physical and most importantly use their speed to disrupt the defense and create some turnovers.

Power-play, they did score a goal on it. But Klinkhammer doesn't seem to fit the point position very well. I figure a guy with his frame should be parked right in front of the goal, it's tough to stop what you can't see.

As for some pluses, Mark Olafson is built like a freakin house, he was hammering people all over the place. I thought Ashton played well despite taking a couple penalties. And Kevin Opsahl was the only reason the Canes stayed close. I interviewed him after the game and he is a pretty funny guy, a little quirky but all goalies are right.

I didn't notice Kris Hogg at all except he did pick up assist.

Yellow Horn was dangerous but sometimes I would like to see him pass on the rush a little more.

Other then that it was a pretty bad night for the Canes. Lindsay was needless to say pretty steemed after the game.

It'll be interesting to see how they bounce back tonight in the Hat.

loudi94
09-24-2005, 12:56 PM
1. The in house hosts were horrible. Embassingly horrible. They couldn't even load the freakin' T-shirt cannon or read from a piece of paper properly.
2. The music wasn't loud enough.
3. The fans were dead, not one "go canes go" all evening.
4. The team played terribly.

Putting all those factors together and I have to say it was one of the worst hockey watching experiences of my life. The Hat fans had fun. Opsahl made a lot of nice saves, but if he lets out juicy rebounds to a team that has finish, he'll get lit up like a Christmas tree.

Joe Sports
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
The in house hosts have to go ! The enmax centre was like a funeral home ....

Joe Sports
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
As for the hockey team ....If we play like that , we are in for a very long year . I think we need more offensive and the defense was just horrible . Henituik ..was brutal .....All the players were just standing around . I also heard the Bilstein is done playing hockey ..Heart problems , not sure if it is true or not . Hopefully not! We will see what happens on Friday night ...

Courtney08-
09-26-2005, 04:32 PM
where did you hear about Billstein? and did you get anymore info about it? i talked to him last night and he didnt say anything about it,... I hope not that would be terrible

Joe Sports
09-26-2005, 05:13 PM
I heard it atr the game on Friday night ...I am not 100% that it is true , but did hear it from 2 diffrent people .

Nielson11
09-26-2005, 05:48 PM
I would not say he is done playing hockey, it might be a possibility, but I'd bet against him never returning right now.

I've heard he will or already has had an MRI.

I'll let you guys know if I here anything.

Orv
09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
The Canes should look into getting one of those guys who did the Lethbridge Bulls this past season to do it at the Canes games. What do you think Nielson?

Nielson11
09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
haha, I'm a little to busy to also be doing the inhouse, allthough if Brucey ever needed a guy to fill in for a game I could probably manage.

My vote is for Craig "Chaos" Kennedy from Country 95.5