PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs Win Thread

LifelongChiefsFan
09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Here is to a Chiefs win tonight and many more to come throughout the year. Hopefully the Chiefs will start out strong and keep on rolling. It's going to be a great year, I can't wait for it to start!! Good luck guys!!!

Oh and just a note, the last time the Chiefs finished last in their division, they won it the next year... :thumb:

GO CHIEFS GO!!

LifelongChiefsFan
10-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Well there's win #1. Overall the Chiefs played pretty well tonight, but they weren't sharp by any means. I think they benefitted from playing a Tri-City team that I don't think is going to be very good this year. It also helped that the Chiefs are very good in home openers. The defense did well and Watt had a good game. Judging from this game, the Chiefs seem to be a more focused and determined team this year under Peters than they were last year. But after only one game it's still too early to tell for sure. Hopefully they put forth this kind of effort consistently throughout the year. All in all it was alot of fun and the first game that I didn't feel let down by the lack of effort in quite a while.

High point of the game: The blimp that gives out free coupons got caught in the rafters, LOL. Also I sat in 218 so I got a free pizza too. That's always appreciated.

Low point: They cut off the Tarantella ¾ the way through after the Chiefs' second goal.

Jimmypop316
10-02-2005, 12:22 AM
that was an amazing game. Their forecheck was amazing, Peters really has done quite the job with them.

And what about Stoesz setting the mood for the game? He is a god among men.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah, the Stoesz fight definitely was huge, getting the fans into the game. He sure handed it to Boogard that's for sure. I also thought the Lynch fight was good to get some energy back in the crowd after Tri-City took the lead. Although there really wasn't a winner, the tide seemed to turn after that fight.

Jimmypop316
10-05-2005, 10:10 PM
two in a row. Wooo!!

Watt stood on his head tonight for 31 saves.

Shulz with the goal.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-05-2005, 10:30 PM
What a win tonight. It sounded like that may have been the best game that Watt has ever played!

I forgot how freaking po'd I get when Pat Smith refs a Chiefs game, I swear that guy is out to do everything he can to make sure the Chiefs lose. SO FRUSTRATING!!! But the Chiefs were able to pull it out anyway, in Everett no less. I know it's only been 3 games but it looks like Peters may have this team turned around. Maybe the Chiefs are one of the better teams in the league this year.

Tipped Off
10-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey Guys,
Watt was nothing short of spectacular tonight. The Tips had 7 or 8 point blank opportunities and all you'd see is goalie skates go up in the air...next thing you know, Watt has the puck in his glove. Just awesome.

As for Smith, nothing unfair was called against the Chiefs. It was actually one of the better reffed games I've seen as a STH for the Tips. He let them play when he should of & called what he had to. The Chiefs tried to let Everett back in Twice in the last ten minutes with Illegal substitutions, but there again, those are penalties you HAVE to call. Not judgement calls. When a chiefs player ices the puck from practically behind his own net and 3 of the 5 players try to swap out, there's no decision to be made. Up until that point in the game, the penalties were dead even (and those were the only two penalties he called in the third).

And...in case you are interested in the fight...

Chris Bruton Vs. Jonathan Harty

Both plyayers dropped the gloves right after the faceoff and showed their intentions. After almost two full circles around each other they came together and immediately Harty could be seen as the aggressor. While he threw tons of punches, he probably landed a good 3 to 4 solid shots. Bruton, who only got off 3 or 4 punches maybe landed one. Harty tried to pull Bruton's Jersey up, and in doing so, fell backwards. Bruton landed on top, but even from the benches reaction, it was clear who took this one.

Jimmypop316
10-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Alright, #3!

Got scared when Tri-Cities pulled back there and tied the game at 4. Thank god for the new delay of game rule.

Its good to beat Tri-Cities but I swear whoever wins the Spokane/TC series is the one who ends up in the worse place at the end of the season

HAF
10-16-2005, 01:51 AM
No excuses from me on this game. You guys flat outplayed us. We were a little on the brutal side in our passing game and you were quick to capitolize and create turnovers that created honest scoring oportunities.
The thing that did bother me though was before the game ever started. During warmups one of your guys shattered the glass right behind the net. I have no problem with that, what I do have a problem with were the 10... yes count them...10 pucks that were shot through the hole in the glass immediately afterward. They didnt even try to get the pucks on goal after that and nearly injured several people. Fans and officials were yelling at them to stop and they continued on shooting pucks into the stands.
Dont be surprised if the league has something to say about this as there were several statements being taken at the rink.

rezstyle
10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
The thing that did bother me though was before the game ever started. During warmups one of your guys shattered the glass right behind the net. I have no problem with that, what I do have a problem with were the 10... yes count them...10 pucks that were shot through the hole in the glass immediately afterward. They didnt even try to get the pucks on goal after that and nearly injured several people. Fans and officials were yelling at them to stop and they continued on shooting pucks into the stands.
Dont be surprised if the league has something to say about this as there were several statements being taken at the rink.

Doesn't seem like my perception of our team as I don't think we have any dirty players. We'll see how it plays out but I would assume the players know the difference between trying to beat the players vs. wanting to harm any fans.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Glad about the win, not so much about the shooting pucks incident though...

I agree, I don't think we have dirty players, and it doesn't sound like something they would do and definitely isn't something the coaching staff would approve of.

I'm just curious was it all the Chiefs that were trying to shoot the puck in the stands or just a group of them?

HAF
10-17-2005, 11:06 PM
From what I saw it was just a small percentage of them. Even the PA announcer told them to stop.

rezstyle
10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Don't know much about the pre-game, never being on the ice and all, but a couple factors could play in such as your PA system running music/ice leve noises and the fact that players probably don't look behind the goal into the stands while coming in and shooting the puck...Especially if the glass is broken at an angle behind the net where many players in pre-game try to shoot for the high corners as those are the best angles for goals in the game.

Unfortunate, but I'm thinking it wasn't intentional. Hope nobody got hurt too bad.

Stay-Puft
10-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. However, having been at games where glass has been broken I can say this. When the glass around the rink breaks, it shatters. It's not here and there, the whole thing comes down. I've seen 5 or 6 come down, 3 in one game. Glass on the ice, glass in the stands, all in dime-size to quarter-size pieces or so. You can tell by looking at the boards when there is no glass there, and you can sure hear it when it goes down.

I don't think the league will get involved unless someone was injured. Maybe they will send out a "please watch out for...." document, but I would think that will be it.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Well at least it appeared that the whole team didn't take part in this. My guess is that it won't be made public but there will probably be some kind of action taken within the Chiefs organization. At least I hope so anyway. Although the rivalry can get kind of heated, there's no need for stuff like that. I am glad that it appears no one was injured.

Stay-Puft
10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=LifelongChiefsFan] Although the rivalry can get kind of heated, there's no need for stuff like that.QUOTE]
I totally agree. Rivalries are great for the competetion on the ice (or any sports field) and the little barbs by fans to one another, i.e. APPLE CUP. Beat 'em on the ice, not in the stands.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Win #4

Tonight's game was very entertaining. Good game all the way around. Chiefs pushed hard from beginning to end and it showed as they ended up outshooting the Blades 51-22. Watt played very well again making a few big saves and all 3 Chiefs goal came off of rebounds. The penalty killing was magnificent on both sides, partly because the power plays are pretty anemic, imo. Schulz took an absolutely ridiculous penalty with about 3 minutes to go in the game, but special teams were able to come up big once again.

Saskatoon didn't exactly look tired but I think they were pretty weary at the end of their road trip, and the result of this game may have been drasticallly different if this was sask's first game on the trip.

The Stoesz/Tidball fight came out as a draw, although Tidball landed the majority of the punches.

Finally, Khudobin is an absolute stud. He made some miraculous saves, and he has one of the quickest glove hands I've seen in quite a while. I think he may steal some games for Saskatoon this year if he continues to play like he did tonight.

Overall it was an exciting game and hopefully the Chiefs keep it up with Portland coming in on Friday.

Jimmypop316
10-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Yea a big big showdown this friday for second place. Definately will be a barn burner, they always are with Portland this last couple of years.

As for the Blades goalie, my oh my the save at the end of the first period was by far the best save I have seen in quite some time.

Jimmypop316
10-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Ooh look at me double-post, but heres to a win to cap out the homestand.

Brandon looked pretty awful tonight, I don't know if thats how they always play or if its because of the stretch down in the US division. But regardless it was good to see some goals and an actual Powerplay goal!!! Good to see some goals, its definately got a bit to go to be at its potential but its definately getting better :)). That powerplay unit still needs some work too my my.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Chiefs played decent, tonight but not their best. It looks like Brandon has had a tendancy to fall behind this year early then try to battle back, and I think they just fell too far behind tonight to have any real shot at coming back to win. The six goals were nice, but the offence still didn't impress me. Bowman's powerplay goal was weak, Plante should've stopped it. I'm not complaining, like I said the six goals were good, but the Chiefs had 2 breakaways and a penalty shot thwarted by Brandon's backup goalie. The Chiefs don't really have any pure goal scorers. It would be nice to pick one up imo.

Stehr played well too and if it wasn't for a couple of bad penalties he may have been able to hold Brandon to just one goal.

Anyway, it was a good win, maybe the Chiefs can gain some momentum and go get some payback in Portland on Friday.

And finally (not like anyone cares) some devious section shifting got me 2 free arbys sandwiches and a free pizza. Plus 8 free chalupas on top of it all, lol!

Jimmypop316
10-27-2005, 01:20 AM
ahaha i love wednesday night games for doing things like that.

My brothers girlfriend works for the arena though so they've always got stacks of free arbys/chalupas and what not that I can steal from. but ahh chalupas from the games are sooo much sweeter.

rezstyle
10-27-2005, 09:09 AM
I love spokane isle people....they can't count. I sit on the end of a row and usually end up with a bunch of Chalupas too.

I'm not too sure if it's the pure scorer we need. I wouldn't mind having one, but we got rid of Luckacevic, so I don't know what the team strategy is. I'd take a bunch of grinders over a pure scorer anyday.

And to respond on our power play, I'm a big fan of sitting Stoesz in front of the net. Last year, they put Jevon in there and I felt it just gave us a better chance. Now, I know it didn't have too much success last year, but I thought we had better scoring chances, they just didn't go in. I think Stoesz would be the only one on the team now that could take the punishment.

Anyone have recaps on the fights? I heard Lynch had a win in a sloppy fight, but didn't get a recap of McCue's fight.

LifelongChiefsFan
10-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah Lynch won the fight w/the majority of the punches coming from him. Only lasted about 10 or 15 seconds before the Brandon guy fell to the ice. I don't recall the Mercer fight off hand, I don't think there was much to it...i might be mistaken though, like I said I really don't remember.

Jimmypop316
10-28-2005, 07:00 PM
McCues fight was the sloppy one.. its hard to explain but it really wasnt a fight at all because by the time they were ready to go at it the linesmen came in and broke it up.

Jimmypop316
10-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Oh boy that was one crazy night, first the goal with 15 seconds left and then 7 round shoot-out. By far the best radio listening experience in quite some time. Its good to see they showed some resilience tonight and got the win and 2nd place :)))

LifelongChiefsFan
10-30-2005, 12:17 AM
What a great road trip for the Chiefs. I was hoping that there wouldn't be a letdown after last night's thriller over Portland and there wasn't. The Chiefs were able to fend off everything Seattle threw their way.

Tonight will be another big test. I can't wait for the game though, Chiefs/Rockets games are always great...the ones in Spokane are anyway. It would be cool to see the Chiefs take it to the Rockets and make it 3/3 for the weekend.

Jimmypop316
10-30-2005, 02:44 AM
Good to see Grabner hitting the net, now if only Salmo could net one we'd be set. Going to be interesting to see how they do against Kelowna tomorrow night, they havent beat them in regulation in FOREVER, and hopefully they can finish off the week unbeaten and on a solid 4 game winning streak.

Someones gotta keep up with Everett

LifelongChiefsFan
11-06-2005, 05:16 AM
It's about time the Chiefs posted another win...couldn't pick a better team to do it against either. Nice to see Howarth's name show up on the scoreboard a couple times. This wasn't the most enthusiastic Chiefs team i've seen this year, but they did a good enough job to get the win.

On a side note, i've just gotta say how disgusted I was with the officiating the last two days. Klein and Thiessen are just absolutely pathetic. Cluching, holding, and hooking like you wouldn't believe, which is one of the areas that Portland and Tri-City are best at. I knew going into the year that obstruction would remain in the game, but some of the non calls the last two nights were absolutely ridiculous (both ways). But anyway that's all I'm going to say about that.

And finally, I've got to give some props to Butler for his play in Friday night's game. I was dumbfounded at some of the saves he made. They were unreal. Chiefs easily could have scored 6 or 7 goals if he doesn't make those 4 phenomenal saves. He won the game for Portland.

Jimmypop316
11-06-2005, 02:04 PM
the officiating this year, has been pretty terrible overall it seems. It might just be me but I can't stand the amount of grabbing and obstruction, etc anymore. Most likely because I'm used to watching NHL games and seeing them call every little thing.

And it really offsets things because when they actually do call one of clutching, grabbing, etc its not really worth it because it almost feels half-assed in a way because they'll call 1, but not the 50 others they missed.

But, yes it was good to see the Chiefs pull this out, especially against the Ams it never gets old thats for sure. Watt turned in a great performance after the game against Everett. I'm sure they'll win the next 1 to get themselves back at 500, and then drop another two and then loss another two, etc etc for the rest of the year. At least theyre consistent :P

Jimmypop316
11-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Ahhh how sweet was that win. That was a fanfreakingtastic game.

Congratulations to Watt for setting the Chiefs record for most shutouts (10).

LifelongChiefsFan
11-21-2005, 03:38 AM
Yeah, sounded like a great win.

Couldn't make it though as I had a huge pile of homework I had to catch up on, I HATE HOMEWORK!!!!!

Of course I pick the wrong game to go to this weekend. I don't know there's just something about Everett. I still have nightmares about some of the "Hockey" I've seen vs. Everett.

Oh well, maye I'll get to see Spokane beat Portland for once on Wednesday.

Jimmypop316
11-26-2005, 03:37 AM
Fantastic win tonight... god the shoot-out was amazing.

The 1st period was terrible... but besides that an excellent game played.

I felt bad for McHale at the shoot-out.... that kid is GIGANTIC and was just dominated on the 3 shots the Chiefs had (Ryan, Klassen, Grabner OUCH!!!). Its a

good way to start the road swing... even though we are an amazing road team.. i just dont see how things translate well at home.. must be the air or something.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-26-2005, 06:32 PM
WOW, that game was unbelievable...and that's a huge understatement. The game started out like a typical Chiefs one, fall behind and then try to scramble to tie late in the 3rd...only they did it this time!!! JP's goal was great in that it wasn't anything super special but it got both the Chiefs and the crowd back in the game. Then they were actually able to get the tying goal, I almost couldn't believe it. Great to see the effort though over the final 2 periods and overtime and the shootout was excellent. Pretty amazing to see the Chiefs score on all 3 attempts.

Yes the Chiefs have been a good road team this year, maybe that will translate into a winning road trip, but I think even going 2-3 wouldn't be that bad. 5 games in 6 nights is harsh.

Jimmypop316
11-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Yea that road swing is going to be huge, pretty much will determine how the first half of the season will be judged as. One night they will be playing against Opsahl, and then Lukacevic the other.. going to be interesting. Oy theyve got Calgary and Medicine Hat too.. hopefully they can continue their road success and pull some wins their way :)

Jimmypop316
12-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Big Big Big Win tonight.

Big reason was Stehr, he did absolutely amazing with 39 saves in net. The chiefs only had like.. 13 shots I believe but they did an amazing job with what they were given. They took advantage of their odd man rushes and were able to put it in the net (2 of them being shorties.)

They're playing SC tomorrow night, I wonder if Stehr is gonna get the nod again with his stellar play tonight. Should be an interesting match, both teams have played 3 games in the last 3 nights.

Tiger Trauma
12-04-2005, 05:51 PM
STehr did play a good game..He looked a little nervous in the begining as a couple pucks wernt really covered up that well when the whistle blew. Even though the shots clock didn't represent it the chiefs played a pretty good game....Special teams and goaltending were the difference in this one

Jimmypop316
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
STehr did play a good game..He looked a little nervous in the begining as a couple pucks wernt really covered up that well when the whistle blew. Even though the shots clock didn't represent it the chiefs played a pretty good game....Special teams and goaltending were the difference in this one

Yea he has looked nervous every game hes played, I'm sure with a little time he'll get that confidence and get better. They interviewed him on the radio for a home game a couple weeks back and oh that poor kid was so nervous I felt bad for him

LifelongChiefsFan
12-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Awesome Awesome Awesome!!! That's about all I can say. I was schocked about the Medicine Hat game, I didn't expect the Chiefs to get any points out of that let alone get a win. The numbers suggest they were outplayed although I have heard otherwise. In the end the Chiefs won the category that matters most. Anytime you can burn they other team more than they burn you on their PP that's just awesome.

Nice win tonight too against SC. Hoping the Chiefs would take it to them more, but hey 3 games in 3 nights they had to be a step slow tonight. Nice goal to tie with 1 min left by Hobson, and hey Chiefs are 3-0 in shootouts. I say keep them coming. Ryan and Klassen are deadly in the SO.

Jimmypop316
12-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Definately an awesome game. I'm wondering if the Chiefs are going to come back with a new #1 goaltender at the rate Stehr is playing. its good to see we have an amazing, young backup goalie that we might be able to put our future into when Watt leaves next year.

Pretty intense game too, Chiefs did an excellent job especially being on the road for 3 straight. I died on the inside when the Broncos scored that goal with a buck forty-eight left, but wasn't surprised that they came right back, they had been pressuring a lot in those final 10 minutes and it was good that they were going to get at least a point for their efforts.

My favorite part of the game was Lukacevics class act after scoring his shoot-out goal, celebrating next to the chiefs bench waving his jersey in front of them. Good to know that his effort showed up on the scoresheet. Erm nevermind.

LifelongChiefsFan
12-12-2005, 03:31 AM
Wow, the Chiefs finally put a game together at home. Good effort, good PP it was a completely different team than the one that got shutout yesterday nite against Everett. Chiefs fell behind early again though, that doesn't seem to change. Nice to finally see a break in Hobson's weak goal. Then the Chiefs were able to pour it on afterwards that was sure nice to see. And to shut down Portlands PP was huge, I swear Dubinsky always seems to get a PP tally each game he plays here. The fights were cool too, most of them went to Spokane. How about the amazing game put together by Blackwater. That was really a sight to see. Stehr played well in goal too, is he our number 1 now?? Anyway, a great game, and hopefully there will be some payback next friday!!

Jimmypop316
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Excellent game, finally to see that powerplay working like it does on the road. They played pretty damn good, sure they had an amazing amount of Powerplays, but they got things done in the other end during the Penalty Kill. Shutting down the #1 PP team is pretty damn good, especially since they had scored in 11 straight games on the PP.

Really impressed with Stehrs play right now, he's probably the #1 one right now, gotta play the hot hand. As for Blackwater, not only can that kid put up some offence he can fight. I was streaming the Calgary game and he took on a big guy there (6'4) and pretty much handed it to him.

Hopefully they can take this momentum and put it to good use.. and not go on their usual drop 2 win 2 thing they are in love with doing. We were so close to getting out of this .500 bunk. I swear everytime we get here we lose or two and drop back to/under .500.