PDA

View Full Version : Home opener

Brutus Beefcake
09-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Boy am I glad I bought season tickets. 1 game in and the investment was worth it. I loved Tisdale, Holt and Wandler in the pregame. Anytime you can start a game with a standing ovation it will warm up the crowd and set the pace for a loud night. I could have done without the screaming into the microphone before opening faceoff though.
Did anyone else notice how bad the PA announcer was? First he said Todd Holt played for Swift Current from 1998-99. When Ned scored his first goal of the season, it was announced as his first ever? I don't think the LA kings would draft a guy that's never scored in four years of junior. Then Ned scores a breakaway and Luke Hunter gets credit for the goal. Leovold was announced as having a ten minute misconduct, but was on the ice for the next shift? Leovold scoring six minutes into the period and it was announced at 14 minutes? I go to a hockey game to watch hockey and don't care much about announcing and music the way some people do, but this guy was so so bad it almost added to the entertainment value.
I thought our defence was awesome and the PK was solid. I have to wonder what happens to the offence if Lukacevic gets injured. Without a true heavyweight enforcer he might.

Flathead
09-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I thought our defence was awesome and the PK was solid. I have to wonder what happens to the offence if Lukacevic gets injured. Without a true heavyweight enforcer he might.
I realize Benke and Toulmin are young but they are on the team to be heavyweights and Benke handled himself quite well last night.
Rumsey is atop the middleweight class, but will drop the gloves with anyone.
Aspenlind, Schenderling, LaRochelle, and Leeckovic will all drop the mitts as well. I think Lukacevic will be well protected.

Brutus Beefcake
09-25-2005, 08:48 PM
-Rumsey is a tough customer, but I doubt Dean would want to lose him for more than five minutes at a time.
-Aspenlind is scrappy and deserving of the A on his jersey, but doesn't really envoke fear in the opposition
-Schenderling can throw punches but again is far from a heavyweight.
-I think Larochelle is very tough, but to put a guy with that many concussions into the role of enforcer?
-Leckovic? From what I hear he had lots of chances to dance in Saskatoon and didn't. Who did he go after in Swift Current last night? Seitsonen. Boris needs to step up and stop chasing euros.
I think the Broncos are very tough, but they lack that real enforcer that strikes fear into the other team and keeps them away from star players. For the same reason Pittsburgh signed Andre Roy just days after drafting Crosby, the Broncos need that policeman.

minirep
09-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Very well said. I have been saying thin all along we need a tough guy to protect out smaller players. The guys we got who have to fight, we don't want in the box for 5 mins. Larachelle fight he won't even hit anyone this guy is a little scared of getting injured again. Lets just get a tough guy and PROTECT out good players so they can have some room to pplay hockey. I don't rememeber the broncos not having a true heavy weight Trovo, Sommerfeld, Orr, Mohagen, Arbez, Thompson, the list goes on and on it is nice to have. :mad:

BarSC_Bronco
09-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Very well said. I have been saying thin all along we need a tough guy to protect out smaller players. The guys we got who have to fight, we don't want in the box for 5 mins. Larachelle fight he won't even hit anyone this guy is a little scared of getting injured again. Lets just get a tough guy and PROTECT out good players so they can have some room to pplay hockey. I don't rememeber the broncos not having a true heavy weight Trovo, Sommerfeld, Orr, Mohagen, Arbez, Thompson, the list goes on and on it is nice to have. :mad:

Looks like Im in the minority on this issue.

When the game turned rough I thought this team did a pretty good job of defending itself. The vast majority of players that get injured are injured through the course of normal play, not someone running around taking liberties because your team doesnt have a top flight heavy weight. Therefore, Im not worried about Lukacevic being injured due to the lack of enforcers on the team. Players simply dont back off from normal contact because you have a heavy weight on your team, if that were true injuries would be non-existant on a team that had a great enforcer.

Flathead
09-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Looks like Im in the minority on this issue.

When the game turned rough I thought this team did a pretty good job of defending itself. The vast majority of players that get injured are injured through the course of normal play, not someone running around taking liberties because your team doesnt have a top flight heavy weight. Therefore, Im not worried about Lukacevic being injured due to the lack of enforcers on the team. Players simply dont back off from normal contact because you have a heavy weight on your team, if that were true injuries would be non-existant on a team that had a great enforcer.
I'm with ya, we did do very good at defending ourselves and I think Benke will be a true heavyweight possibly Toulmin as well. We don't need another tough guy, how about another goal scorer. Ned isn't going to do it all. But with Ned here it'll give others like Leovold to start putting the puck in the net.

Willis on the Welfare
09-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Did anyone else notice how bad the PA announcer was? First he said Todd Holt played for Swift Current from 1998-99. When Ned scored his first goal of the season, it was announced as his first ever? I don't think the LA kings would draft a guy that's never scored in four years of junior. Then Ned scores a breakaway and Luke Hunter gets credit for the goal. Leovold was announced as having a ten minute misconduct, but was on the ice for the next shift? Leovold scoring six minutes into the period and it was announced at 14 minutes? I go to a hockey game to watch hockey and don't care much about announcing and music the way some people do, but this guy was so so bad it almost added to the entertainment value.

In defence of the PA announcer:

Todd Holt played in Swift Current when? I happen to know that the Holt/Tisdale/Wandler ceremony did not go as planned. This probably rattled the announcer who was scrambling to cover.

Ned Lukacevic's first goal ever:

The PA announcer sat through game after game of 1-0, 2-1 games last year. Emotion probably got the best of him.

Luke gets credit on Ned's breakaway:

Sorry Kim, you're on your own for that one.

Leovold goal time and 10 minute misconduct:

The announcer announces goals and penalties verbatim on what is told to him from the time keeper. League rule. Our time keeper isn't quite as on the ball as he was 18 years ago.

Plus it's the first game of the season. I know Kim does PA for the Indians ball team as well, and hockey moves just a bit faster.

Willi$

Scout
09-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I did notice the mistakes that were made but i was so pumped after the opening ceremonies and the loudness of the crowd, it didn't bother me one bit. Sitting waiting for the game to start. The lights went out and the music started. It was packed in there. Then the dry ice started from the visitors tunnel and the spot lights lit up. When Bryce Wandler skated onto the ice, he was wearing his old jersey by the way, the noise was deafening. My ear drum was actually vibrating a bit. Wow what a start. The spot light goes back to the visitor entrance with one spot still on Wandler in net. Out skates all time Bronco point leader Todd Holt. Again the noise was deafening. Again Todd wore his old Bronco jersey. Third and final was Memorial Cup hero Tim Tisdale. What a great idea it was to bring back and honor three of our most remembered Bronco's. You don't think these guys were honored to be asked? I talked to all three before the game, and they were humbled to be honored. Imagine how they felt skating out onto to the ice to that ovation. Good job by all the fans. If any of you were wondering what Hunter,Aspenlind and ? gave these three at the blue line it was a new jersey with the new Logo on it. Very classy i think.

Now we have to remember this was the first game for alot of these Bronco office people. Either way i thought it was one of the best openings ever. As for the PA announcer? That was so minor and i know Holt and Wandler didn't care.

This game had everything. The noise level was deafening. The crowd was pumped after the opening ceremonies. The funny part was in intermission i heard a couple of older people complain it was to loud. lol. You don't think this pumped up the players to hear a roar like that? Give me a break. Anyway we had a penalty shot, lots of goals, fights, new players and we won very handedly.

I loved that guys like Benke, Leckovic, Toulman and Rumsey came to their team mates aid when there was a mix up. How do you think the littler vets on our team felt after years of taking care of themselves saw they no longer have to. Or the rookies seeing these big boys step in and handle the rough stuff. Benke is going to be a heavy weight, no doubt in my mind. He man handled the 6'5" Elder. And Toulmin? This guy is a projected top ten heavy. The thing about Grant, he not only has the size ( at 17 stands 6'4" 200lbs ) but is a south paw and fights either right or left. Add Leckovic and Rumsey and i think we can handle ourselves. And Dean i don't think would have any problem if he saw the other team taking liberties on our smaller players to send these guys out to settle things down. It happened in the season opener. He sent out Benke,Toulmin,Rumsey and Leckovic when it was getting out of hand. Couldn't have asked for a better game or outcome.

Scout

cotinthecurrent
09-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Scout quotes: I loved that guys like Benke, Leckovic, Toulman and Rumsey came to their team mates aid when there was a mix up. How do you think the littler vets on our team felt after years of taking care of themselves saw they no longer have to.

...after years of taking care of themselves?! After having Trojovsky, the toughest policeman in the league, for most of the last two seasons?! I think we're needing a reality check here.

Scout
09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Your right, i must be getting amnesia. How could i forget about Trojo the Machine. Hmmmmm i am getting old.

Scout

Oh-Vee
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Of all the games to miss, I pick the best game ever (or at least it sounds like it). The only redeeming factor is that I shot a 37 on the back nine of the Laurette Course at Kananaskis.

Is it too early to call for balanced scoring? ;)