PDA

View Full Version : Write up on Ned

Scout
09-29-2005, 05:54 PM
WHL This Week - News Edition
Created: Sep 29, 2005
LUKACEVIC THRILLS IN SWIFT CURRENT - If Swift Current Broncos fans didn't know about Ned Lukacevic (pictured) before the team's home opener on September 24th, they sure do now.

Lukacevic, a 19-year-old product of Port Coquitlam, B.C., made a smashing debut at the Centennial Civic Arena before 2,161 Broncos fans, scoring a spectacular five goals to lead the team to a 7-3 win over Prince Albert - their first win of the 2005-06 Western Hockey League season.

It was an unforgettable performance from a man who had just arrived in Speedy Creek a few days earlier after being acquired from the Spokane Chiefs in exchange for veteran rearguard David Schulz. It was also the first five-goal effort from a Bronco since Jason Krywulak bagged five versus Red Deer in January of 1993.

"It was great," said Lukacevic of his home debut as a Bronco. "I really just wanted to make a good first impression on the fans and my teammates."

It was also a performance that will leave Broncos fans hopeful that the team has turned a corner after what was a disappointing 2004-05 season that saw the team miss the post-season for the first time in 32 years. Lukacevic, although new to the Broncos fold, is confident the team has the all the pieces to remain competitive and get back into the playoff hunt.

"We've got some great leadership here, and some really good young guys," he said. "The guys are putting last year behind them and not letting last year's struggles get to us.

"We're just trying to improve everyday and work towards getting into the playoffs this year," he added.

Lukacevic's arrival may well provide the tonic to cure what ailed the Broncos in 2004-05, which was a pronounced lack of offense. Last season, the Broncos managed only 135 goals - the lowest in the league. In landing Lukacevic, the Broncos have added speed, skill, creative vision, and, as was clearly evident in his home debut, finish.

He also brings something else that was lacking in the Broncos line-up last season - confidence.

Lukacevic spent the early part of September at the main camp for the Los Angeles Kings - the team that drafted him in the fourth round (110th overall) in the 2004 NHL entry draft. There, skating with the likes of Jeremy Roenick, Craig Conroy and Pavol Demitra, Lukacevic got a taste of what his hockey future may hold.

"It was really exciting to be around guys like Roenick, (Luc) Robitaille, and (Matthias) Norstrom," he gushed. "I was skating with young guys like Konstantin Pushkarev, Anze Kopitar and Jeff Tambellini.

"It showed me what a big step it is to get there because it's a lot quicker, passes are quicker, guys are faster...you really have to be on your game all the time," he added.

While Lukacevic was eventually returned to the WHL, it wasn't before he'd made a very strong impression on the Kings' brass.

"They said I had a good camp and that they were excited," said Lukacevic. "They told me they really liked my energy, my speed and the opportunities I can create with my skating, and that they just wanted me to come back to junior and make sure I worked hard and brought a consistent effort every night."

A consistent effort may not involve scoring five goals a game, however, Lukacevic is determined to consistently do the things he needs to do to help his new team find success.

"I want to take what I learned at (Kings) camp and bring it here and, hopefully, be a leader on this team," he said.

Jesse Watts
whl.ca