PDA

View Full Version : Peter Mueller is Overrated

Tipped Off
10-02-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm a Tips fan (Welcome Tips fan - sarcastic reference to AA). I know it is early. I know the excuses...It'll take a while for him to get used to the team. The WHL has a different style of play. Etc...

All that being said, I was not impressed by Mueller yesterday in the Tips 5-2 win over PG si I decided every time Mueller was on the Ice today, I was going to only watch him. He is SLOW. I think he was one of, if not THE, slowest skater on the ice...including our defensemen. There are two possible reasons for this. One, he IS slower than advertised or 2. He is lazy. I believe it is a combination of both.

While watching him today the one thing I noticed which really stood out is his lack of hustle getting back into the play. So far I haven't seen him actually beat a defender with a move. When they take it away from him and go the other way, he is always the last one down the Ice. He doesn't get back into the play unless the play comes back to himm.

Being a self-proclamed Tips fan, I've been spoiled over the last two years by guys who maybe weren't as talented as some of the other players in the league, but who worked their butts off to stay in the play. It was that work ethic that got the Silvertips many of their "lucky" goals in previous years.

I think it showed tonight why Mueller's method doesn't work. We outshot Kelowna 29-11, but we didn't have the same hard working effort at the net we've seen in the past.

Count me as officially opening this Peter Mueller is overrated thread and, until he proves his work ethic to me, I'm not a believer.

Bob in Everett
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
How can you judge a guy in one game? Should we also claim that Irving sucks after watching his first game. He dropped 3 quick ones in Kamloops. I expect Mueller to be a great player if he can adapt to the Silvertips and the WHL. He is a great passer. We will see how he progresses over the next few weeks.

Bob

Bob in Everett
10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I think we should find a way to keep Kyle Annesley.

Beaner
10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Wow, everyone jumping off the Mueller bandwagon already? Give the kid a break, and a few more games, maybe 10, before you start judging him.

Takes a bit to get used to the play in the dub, some kids take longer to develop.

Tipped Off
10-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Again, as my post points out, I AM judging him on only two games. One that I focused only on watching him. The Irving comment make sno sense bcause it hasn't been two games. We saw him for 20 last year.

As for Mueller, if he "adjusts" to the Dub and plays great after 20-40 games, I'll write a post about how he is everything which was advertised. As it is, I'll stick to my post...I am dissapointed in what I've seen SO FAR. Yes, that's only two games plus the pre-season.

IceMan
10-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm on the fence ....

He looks really slow out there. My take on it is that he's either still got the bad back, is sick, or is just adjusting still to the speed. There's no way in hell that a kid gets touted as a top 5 pick for the NHL, by every major report/service out there, and then just sucks. It's got to be something else that we're not seeing. He may just be floating around trying to get a feel still. I dunno.

I'm willing to give him 15-20 games before I start *****ing. For now, he's just a question mark until he proves one way or another that he's the real deal.

IceMan Out.

Postman
10-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Talk about overreacting. How can you judge a guy on two games, let alone two games adjusting to a new league and style of play? You KNOW players need time to adjust, yet you're still going to call him overrated? Ridiculous.

As for the comments about Mueller being slow, watch him a little more closely. He's got deceptive speed because he's a big guy with such a smooth stride. Most guys like that appear to be slow because they just coast so smoothly. Watch him skate in relation to the others around him, he's got speed. If you get a chance to see him in person it becomes more apparent.

Give him a few months to adjust, probably by the new year he'll be in full stride and you'll see why he's so hyped.

atlegacy
10-05-2005, 12:54 PM
He may be slow, but I think after watching him Saturday night that he will be the best at passing the puck that we have seen in Everett. He just needs to know his teammates better. He also showed some real excitement when Everett scored in the first period.

Tipped Off
10-05-2005, 11:20 PM
I saw two good passes to set Wheat up tonight. Wheat wiffed on both of them. For the rest of the game he was pretty much invisible. I again saw him three or four times trail a play making little to no effort to get back into the play. I also watched him twice ask off the ice during his lines turn.

IceMan
10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
I don't think it's laziness ... I just think he looks incredibly out of shape. Maybe he needs more time to get his legs.

He doesn't skate backwards real well -- haven't seen a backwards crossover out of him in 3 games yet, and he just gets passed every time he tries to go backwards and doesn't recover well to get forewards again. His overall technique looks like it needs work ... maybe I'm being to harsh here, but I skate backwards better than what I'm seeing out of him right now.

Again, it all could be conditioning and that back injury, so I'm still going to give him some time :)

Tipped Off
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
The thing is, I don't think your being too harsh. The guy can't skate by anyone. I'll give him that he wins a ton of faceoffs. Something we haven't seen around here. He also has good vision. He seems to find guys, or at least attempt passes, no one else on this team would even try. So maybe those are good signs. Personally I find it hard to believe someone who is that young and does this as a means to get the the NHL could be out of shape. IF that is really it I think I would be more disspointed than I already am. There is no excuse for someone who supposedly has that much talent to be out of shape.

Bob in Everett
10-06-2005, 12:06 AM
I have yet to see him put a good hit on anybody