PDA

View Full Version : Brule

scamperdog
10-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Gilbert Brule will make his NHL debut Wednesday night against the Washington Capitals after coming to terms on a contract.

Brule beat the 5 pm et deadline to sign a new deal on Monday, signing an entry level contract worth the maximum $850,000 in base salary and the potential to earn as much as $400,000 per year in bonuses.

Bruel led the Blue Jackets in scoring in the pre-season with five points, tying him with Nikolai Zherdev. He also tied for the team lead in goal scoring with two goals in six games.

Brule tallied 39 goals and 87 points with 169 penalty minutes in 70 games with Vancouver last season, finishing fifth in the WHL in goals and third in points. He was named to the WHL First All-Star Team and was the 2004-05 Canadian Hockey League Scholastic Player of the Year.

Beaner
10-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Heh, beat me to it Scamperdog, nice Job. ;)

And congrats to Brule, best of luck in the NHL.

Now the only question left is will he stick for the 10 games, and beyond???

scamperdog
10-03-2005, 02:48 PM
If they do keep him, I hope they give him the ice time,other wise send him back where he will continue to develope

langdak
10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
If they do keep him, I hope they give him the ice time,other wise send him back where he will continue to develope

I agree, he shouldnt be kept there to be a 3rd or 4th line center

If they arent gonna let him play, we will gladly take him back :thumb:

langdak
10-03-2005, 03:39 PM
here is the article from the Blue Jackets website

http://columbusbluejackets.com/news/press/arts/2608.0.html

For Immediate Release: October 03, 2005

Blue Jackets Sign 2005 First Round Pick Gilbert Brule
Sixth overall pick of 2005 Entry Draft signs three-year deal, will start 2005-06 season with Columbus

The Columbus Blue Jackets signed center Gilbert Brule (pronounced jihl-BAIR BROO-lay), the sixth overall pick in the 2005 National Hockey League Entry Draft, to a three-year contract, club President and General Manager Doug MacLean announced today. Brule will begin the season on the Blue Jackets 23-man roster.

"Gilbert is a talented young player who worked really hard and played extremely well for us during the preseason, and I'm very happy for him and for our organization that we were able to get this deal done," said MacLean. "He earned a spot on our roster and will be a tremendous compliment to the young talent in our organization."

Brule appeared in six preseason games with the Blue Jackets and led the team in scoring with two goals and three assists for five points, along with six penalty minutes. He tallied 39-48-87 and 169 penalty minutes in 70 games with the Vancouver Giants in 2004-05, finishing fifth in the Western Hockey League in goals and third in points. He was named to the WHL First All-Star Team and was the 2004-05 Canadian Hockey League Scholastic Player of the Year.

"It has been a lifelong dream to play in the NHL, and I am so happy this day has come and I'm a Blue Jacket," said Brule. "I'm going to work hard and hopefully I will play here all year and do whatever I can to help this team continue to improve and win games."

The 5-10, 175-pound native of Edmonton, Alberta was the Most Valuable Player at the 2005 Top Prospects Game as he collected three goals and an assist to lead Team Cherry to an 8-4 win. In 2003-04, Brule was named the WHL's Rookie of the Year after registering 25-35-60 and 100 penalty minutes in 67 games with the Giants. He entered this year's draft as the fifth-rated North American Skater in Central Scouting's final player rankings.

Columbus begins its fifth NHL campaign on Wednesday at 7 p.m. against the Washington Capitals at the MCI Center. The Blue Jackets play their home opener on, Oct. 7 against the defending Western Conference champion Calgary Flames. Game time at Nationwide Arena is 7 p.m. Both games will be televised live on FSN Ohio beginning at 6:30 p.m. with IceBreaker, a 30-minute pre-game show.

caps05
10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, he could be quite useful to the Jackets. Not only would he make a good tag team partner for Columbus' resident tough guy, Jody Shelley, in protecting guys like Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev, but he can also score. Everybody needs those players.

KBF
10-04-2005, 01:25 PM
A tag team partner to protect Nash? Just because Brule plays tough, doesn't mean he actually is. His talent is tremendous but he doesn't scare noone.

I'm sure they drafted him for his talent, he better tone down the way he plays and actually use his brain.