PDA

View Full Version : N.H.L. Ref's To Wear Mic's

Scout
10-03-2005, 06:07 PM
NHL referees to wear microphones

Canadian Press

10/3/2005 2:38:17 PM

Referees will wear microphones and announce penalties to spectators and to viewers watching at home when the NHL restarts with all 30 teams playing Wednesday night.

It's the latest innovation for a league eager to attract attention and lure fans after losing its 2004-2005 season to a collective bargaining impasse.

The new set-up might not be in place in all arenas opening night but it will be there for each team's second home game, league officials promised Monday.

Referees will announce single and offsetting penalties in English. If there are multiple penalties at the same time, to avoid delaying games announcements will be left to arena public address systems. In every instance, the in-house announcer will repeat the referee's call, which will enable penalty calls in Montreal to continue to be relayed to spectators in French.

Also, fans at home openers will receive a mini Stanley Cup replica courtesy of the NHL upon leaving the 30 arenas. Individual teams also have their own giveaways planned.

"It's our way of saying thanks to fans for sticking with us," said deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

Scout

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
10-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds a lot like a transformation into becoming more football like, but I've had the same idea for awhile now. We'll see how it feels this season.

I think it's only a matter of time before the WHL follows along.

Fight Guy
10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
BOOOOOOO!!!! This isnt football!

WHEATMAN
10-03-2005, 08:23 PM
is it a hassle to wait 10 more seconds? the game is becoming too americanized

Fight Guy
10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
is it a hassle to wait 10 more seconds? the game is becoming too americanized
Well duhhh...they are trying make the AMERICAN fans come back. Hockey is a Canadian sport. Stupid 'States.

WHEATMAN
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
there is too much catering to the americans

Jimmypop316
10-04-2005, 09:05 PM
there is too much catering to the americans

They have to make money, and the american audience has it.

Bob in Everett
10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
"hockey is a canadian sport"

The NHL has 6 Canadian teams vs 24 US teams, pull your head out.

Number_4
10-04-2005, 10:19 PM

The NHL has 6 Canadian teams vs 24 US teams, pull your head out.

Hockey was originally a CANADIAN sport. The Americans followed, took over and expanded. Our heads are not up anywhere... we just know where hockey's roots are... on Canadian soil. Plenty of American fans acknowledge this.

Fight Guy
10-04-2005, 10:57 PM

The NHL has 6 Canadian teams vs 24 US teams, pull your head out.I like how you titled your post with $***...$$$$$$...Thats why there is so many more teams in the States...they can afford it. Thats why Canadian teams are gradually going. How ever you want to look at it, hockey is a Canadian sport that the Americans were able to expand...like they did with every other sport. Baseball, Basketball...Canadian...and where are those sports...in the US...minus one team to each national leauge to each sport that can afford to have those teams. Toronto is the only place that can support them because there is so much more money in the States...and of coarse players want to be payed the most they can...so they play where the money is.

IamBatman
10-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Whats next? Are the coaches going to be able to challenge a play?

Beaner
10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Who cares, its not that big a deal. If it helps people out to understand whats going on and bring in some new fans, then do it.

ihlemic10
10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
What happened to this? I have not seen it used at all the games I have watched this year. Its a dumb idea, I was just wondering if they have not implemented it yet.