PDA

View Full Version : Raiders are done..

Triton
10-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Along with the city seeing as today our Weyerhauser mill is closing in January,terminating 700+ jobs here in Prince Albert unless someone can step up and purchase it.Soon the City will become a ghost town and the Raiders history in a few years.Thanks alot dumb idiots..you just killed my hometown..very sad day indeed.

:( :burningma :mad: :dead:

Billy Blade
10-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah that is horrible news, caught it on the radio this morning as it broke. I really feel bad for those people who have been working so hard for so many years to just get dumped like that with nowhere to go. I hope if nobody can step up and save them they at least get decent severance packages.

wango tango
10-04-2005, 02:15 PM
take the 690 jobs lost directly with the closing, then combine all the spinoff jobs lost, and you're probably looking at over 1000 jobs lost. each and every one of those jobs is a family affected.

i hope another company can be found to pick up some or all activity at the mill. i also hope the government isn't stupid enough to think they can take it over. if a private company can't be found to make a go of it, than what chance would the incredibly inept ndp have.

my heart goes out to every family affected. this is a terrible blow to the community, it has to raise a lot of questions about the viability of the raider franchise in prince albert.

Tinner
10-04-2005, 03:48 PM
hockey is last thing that some people are worrying about right now. Jobs, housing, families, lifestyle and careers are being hurt. Hope the area can survive and when everything is OK again, then hockey might be part of the lifestyle for those affected.

WHEATMAN
10-04-2005, 06:01 PM
PA needs to stay, that team is the heartbeat of the league, not to mention the confrence final rivalry the raiders and wheaties have, it would be a shame to loss such a great franchise

Billy Blade
10-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I think if Swift Current can make things work why can't Prince Albert even without Weyerhaeuser? One thing I find funny though... they had 22.7 billion in sales in 2004 and they need to "continue to seek additional opportunities to unlock the value of our portfolio"?!

They are worried about their stock prices in a "soft" market and closing the Prince Albert mill will magically solve this? What the hell were their expenses if 22.7 billion in sales necessitates the closure of a plant so vital to a city like this?!

Triton
10-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe POTash..lol...huge marijuana fields? :laugh:

Billy Blade
10-04-2005, 10:03 PM
They are opening that new diamond mine somewhere around Birch Hills aren't they? Headquartering it here in Saskatoon, but hiring about 250-300 people from the PA area. That should help somewhat hopefully.

Number_4
10-04-2005, 10:14 PM
I know this sounds bad, but there will always be relocation and jobs in the oil fields in Alberta. One of my friends is working in Fort McMurray, and making WAY more than he would back home. Not only does he get a really good hourly wage, he also gets isolation pay. It adds up, and smaller families probably could make a go of it, larger families may have trouble tho. I am sure that there are similar jobs in the oil/mining industries up north.

Sput
10-04-2005, 10:47 PM
i also hope the government isn't stupid enough to think they can take it over. if a private company can't be found to make a go of it, than what chance would the incredibly inept ndp have.

I also hope the Sask government doesn't try to step into the pulp market. It happend here in BC, Pr. Rupert shut down about four or five years ago, and the BC gov't. thought they could make a go of it with taxpayers money. Sadly the mill is still down and the gov't spent something like 7-10 BILLION to try to make it go. Still no buyer, though there is a company from China that wants to buy it, just can't get the legal stuff done, or fiber supply or something.

My heart goes out to all those families. I work in the pulp industry and know first hand how tough it is on the people to make things run. If they hadn't made strides five years ago to make their own niche market with some kind of specialty, they are sunk. Don't forget too, Werhouser is an American company. The big corporations just don't care about the people or the communities anymore. :mad: