PDA

View Full Version : correct me if i'm wrong

maple leaf
10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
didn't you guy's loose your head scout 2 or 3 years ago, and is this or has this hurt your talent level with the kid's coming up now.

Tinner
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
didn't loose our head scout, he wasn't given a new contract, or if you want, couldn't come to terms with Sutter on a new contract. I believe the reason was because you had two head strong hockey people who wanted to do things a certain way or their way. One was or is a knowledgable hockey man who had a excellent record for finding players (Sears) and the other was a knowledgable hockey man who owned the team (Sutter).

the answer to your second part of your statement is "yes", our picks have been subject to second quessing as the new head scout is an extension of the owner, and therefore, has had less success than Sears. Peterson tries to find the kind of player that fits the mold that Sutter wants to have his team made of.

Rebrevs
10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
THe scouting job done by the current staff is only just starting to be seen. The 17 year olds on our team, such as Cline and Knackstead were scouted during Sears' reign as head scout!! Our 15 & 16 years olds were scouted by the new staff. Our crop of 16 year olds have been described as being quite exceptional. It doesn't seem to me that any clear judgements or comparisons can be made between the two scouts as of yet.

Rebel66
10-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm with Rebrevs on this one, it's way too early to be making judgements on the merits of the picks by the respective head scouts at this stage. The crop of 16 years olds coming through looks very impressive to me and should fit in just fine. I'm not sure that it's right to say that the picks by Peterson have been less successful as he tends to pick the type of player that Brent Sutter likes to have. Firstly it's too early for such a judgement and, secondly, that doesn't seem such a bad thing to me. Perhaps I have more faith in Sutter and the team than most?

RebelsFan
10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Wouldn't it make the most sense for Sutter as a coach / GM / owner to have someone that is going to identify players of the kind that he thinks will be able to play in his system. What would be the point of drafting players that Sutter didn't feel he could work with or work in his system. I think Peterson is a good scout and to see the results, you will have to wait a few years until his draft "suggestions" turn 16,17,18,19. To comment on his selections now wouldn't be fair, let's wait to see how they develop. Peterson's job is to bring Sutter players he (Sutter) would like to coach.

Tinner
10-05-2005, 12:10 PM
i'm not sure i agree with you on that point. the head scouts job is to identify the best players out there. there is a difference between that and the best players out there that fit the style of play wanted by Sutter.

Not to miss the point that started this thread.......Rebels head of scouting (Sears) record and why he is not there, not Peterson's.

RebelsFan
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Where is Sears scouting now. I am fairly new to the Rebels.