PDA

View Full Version : Irving Average so far

Tipped Off
10-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Silvertips goalie "very average" so far

By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

Goaltender Leland Irving concedes his play this year has shaken his confidence a little.

Under the Helmet

Decked out in his gaudy green goaltending gear, Leland Irving looks imposing.

Lanky at 6 feet 1 and unusually agile, Irving is so technically sound that even the savviest hockey scout might figure him to be much older.

The fact is, Irving is 17, and in street clothes he would need at least two pieces of ID to prove he is that old.

After a spectacular rookie season as a backup to Michael Wall, Irving was expected to get more playing time this season in a similar role. That changed when Wall was invited to training camp with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and earned a pro contract to play in the minors this season.

Elevated to Everett's top goaltender, Irving, a studious-looking player from Swan Hills, Alberta, has experienced mixed results so far.

Asked to evaluate his own performance in Everett's 1-2 start, Irving didn't hesitate to be critical.

"I've been very average and haven't gotten back to the form I had last year," Irving said after Sunday's 3-1 loss to the Kelowna Rockets. "I've made some mental mistakes and have to get back into the swing of things and get comfortable with what I'm doing."

Although the Silvertips have just begun their third season, the team has established a tradition of exceptional goaltending. Jeff Harvey led the Silvertips to a Western Conference title in the team's initial year, and Wall took the team into the playoffs and a win over Portland in the first round last season.

Irving has the credentials to add to the legacy.

In 23 games last season, Irving allowed an average of only 1.8 goals a game with a 93 percent save rate. In addition, he won a gold medal for Team Canada at the 2005 under-18 World Cup.

This season, Irving has allowed an average of 3.0 goals a game, and his save rate has dropped to 84 percent. Irving conceded that has shaken his confidence a little.

"The guys have confidence in me, and I put more pressure on myself than anyone else," Irving said. "I have a job to do, and that's to get this team into good position to make it into the playoffs."

Kevin Constantine, Everett's coach and director of hockey operations, said there are several parts of his team's game that aren't up to par yet.

"Our goaltending hasn't been what we're used to, and neither has our penalty killing," Constantine said. "But our power play and our ability to create scoring chances are better. We're making progress in some areas, but there are parts that still need work."

Last season, the Silvertips led the Western Hockey League in penalty killing, negating 88.8 percent of the opposition's power plays.

So far this year, that percentage has slipped to 75 percent, 18th in the 20-team league.

"It's a matter of finding the right players to do it and teaching them the right details of it and getting goaltending," Constantine said.

"If you say your goaltending isn't what you are used to, then your penalty killing probably isn't what you are used to, either."

1 veteran needs to go

The Silvertips have just more than a week to make a difficult decision.

Everett has four 20-year-olds on its roster — Torrie Wheat, Shaun Heshka, Kyle Annesley and Mark Kress — and, under league rules, must get down to three by Oct. 13.

Wheat and Heshka aren't going anywhere. Annesley appeared to be the one destined to leave until he scored two goals in Everett's lone win Saturday. Kress hasn't scored in three games, but he is considered to be one of Everett's top penalty killers.

Note

The Silvertips will play their first game against a U.S. Division rival when Spokane comes to town today. Everett then will travel to the Tri- Cities for a game Saturday.