PDA

View Full Version : John Lammers - Immediate impact

Tipped Off
10-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Immediate impact
Newcomer John Lammers has three goals in three games

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - John Lammers wasted little time settling in as an Everett Silvertip.

Lammers has had an instant impact in Everett, scoring goals in each of the Silvertips' first three games and already etching his name into the franchise record book.

"I think it's awesome," Lammers said about the start to his Silvertips career. "It would have been nice to get a couple more wins, but I think that with the learning experience - and if we keep working hard - the wins will start coming."

Lammers was brought to Everett during the offseason specifically to spark the Silvertips' offense. Everett paid a hefty price for the 19-year-old left wing, giving up beefy 19-year-old right wing Curtis Billsten and 2004 second-round Bantam Draft pick Keegan Bourelle in exchange.

But the early returns look positive. Lammers has already scored in a variety of manners, making a nice move around a defenseman in Everett's 6-4 loss at Kamloops, sniping home a one-timer in Everett's 5-2 win against Prince George, and tracking down his own rebound in Everett's 3-1 loss to Kelowna.

By scoring in three straight games, Lammers matched the franchise record for the most consecutive games with a goal. He matched the tally accomplished six previous times - Riley Armstrong, Chad Bassen and John Dahl all performed the feat in the 2003-04 season, Tyler Dietrich, Torrie Wheat and Alex Leavitt did it last season.

"We certainly recognized that his goal totals were higher than anybody who had played in this organization, so we knew we were getting a guy with the potential to score goals," Everett coach and director of hockey operations Kevin Constantine said. "He's shown that, and now we're trying to add maybe some complements to his game in terms of doing other things - being a good penalty killer, being a tenacious forechecker, things like that. We knew he could score and he's been dedicated to working on other aspects of his game, too, so he's done a really good job for us."

Lammers has been playing on a line with center Zach Hamill and right wing Brady Calla, and those three have already developed a good understanding between them. Lammers and Hamill, who are both from the Vancouver, British Columbia, area and sometimes play together during the offseason, particularly seem well suited to one another.

"Me and Calla played together last year, so Lammers took some getting used to," Hamill said. "But so far it's been pretty good. We're just trying to feed off each other, work hard, and get one guy going, get the next guy going and get all three of us going."

And Lammers appreciates playing on a line with the two 17-year-olds.

"I think a lot of it is a tribute to my linemates," Lammers said. "We're getting to know each other now and they're always finding me. I'm just trying to put the puck in the net."

So far, so good.

Blatchford returns: Sunday night Ryan Blatchford did something he had never done in his WHL career: He walked into the Everett Events Center as a visitor.

Blatchford made a quick return to Everett, the original Silvertip coming back as a member of the Kelowna Rockets mere days after being released by Everett.

"It is weird, playing against the guys that I've known so long," Blatchford said following Everett's 3-1 loss to the Rockets. "But it turned out all right. We won and both teams played hard."

Blatchford, a 20-year-old defenseman, played two seasons for Everett, registering three goals and 20 assists in 138 games. But with Everett having five overagers and needing to cut down to the league-mandated limit of three by Oct. 13, Blatchford was let go last week.

"There's no hard feelings at all," Blatchford said. "It just comes down to that's the kind of business it is. It comes down to a numbers game and I wasn't very fortunate."

But Blatchford landed in a pretty good situation, quickly being picked up by defending WHL champion Kelowna.

"If I'm not in Everett, you can't ask for any better place than Kelowna," Blatchford said.

"I just had a bunch of great memories in Everett," Blatchford added, "and I'd just like to say thanks to all the fans and friends here."

Around the WHL: Everett fell one spot to 11th in this week's Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association poll. Calgary, with 12 of the 19 first-place votes, moved into the top spot. Moose Jaw was second and Kootenay third. ... Moose Jaw center Dustin Boyd was named the WHL Player of the Week for Sept. 23-Oct. 3. Boyd had five goals and four assists in leading the Warriors to a 4-0 start. ... Vancouver star center Gilbert Brule signed a three-year contract with the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets and will begin the season in the NHL. The 18-year-old Brule, who tied for third in the league in scoring last season, may be returned to Vancouver some time this season. ... Seattle coach Rob Sumner, experiencing visa troubles, was not allowed back into the U.S. for the Thunderbirds' home opener last Saturday against Kamloops.

atlegacy
10-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Lammers has been the impressive player on the team so far. I could not believe that he did not get a star in Saturday nights win.