PDA

View Full Version : The Power Ranking is BS!!

LifelongChiefsFan
10-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I know rankings don't mean anything, but I find those really annoying. Going into tonight Kelowna was 2-3 and Calgary is 4-0 yet Kelowna is 3000pts better? And how are Moose Jaw and Regina the worst two teams??? Last I checked they were 1-2 in their division and MJ is undefeated!!! I love how 5 of the top 12 teams have losing records, yet 5 of the bottom 8 have winning records.

You gotta love this stuff, it's too bad they don't do playoff seedings based on these!!!

Beaner
10-06-2005, 11:31 AM
There whole thing is screwed up. Looks like the forget to reset it after the playoffs last year. How Kelowna is ranked #1 according to their formula described below, is bizarre.

I always liked looking at that power ranking system, but it is so screwed up right now it looks like a hockey writer did it. :laugh:

IamBatman
10-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I know rankings don't mean anything, but I find those really annoying. Going into tonight Kelowna was 2-3 and Calgary is 4-0 yet Kelowna is 3000pts better? And how are Moose Jaw and Regina the worst two teams??? Last I checked they were 1-2 in their division and MJ is undefeated!!! I love how 5 of the top 12 teams have losing records, yet 5 of the bottom 8 have winning records.

You gotta love this stuff, it's too bad they don't do playoff seedings based on these!!!

Must be foreshadowing...

Flathead
10-06-2005, 09:49 PM
They have RJ from Swift with 6 goals, don't think he has one actually.

Tinner
10-07-2005, 07:05 AM
before you know it, they'll get it right, and still there will be people disagree with it. :)

IceMan
10-07-2005, 02:14 PM
I assume you're referring to the WHL Realtime Power Ranking that you see at the top of the screen ...

You really need to give that a good month (maybe 10+ games) for it to shake out and be meaningful. At this early point in the year, pp and pk percentages go way up and down fast, and the points given for wins agains bad/good teams don't mean as much until teams have more than 1 or 2 games under their belts. Statistically based, the power ranking needs the teams to all build up more and more stats to make it's numbers make sense.

As far as player stats go ... many times teams will have more than one guy listed with the same uniform number to start the year. I generally give it until the end of October to reset all of the team rosters in the database.

The beginning of the year is a tough time to get the stats all sync'd up, but they eventually balance out.

Hope that explains it.

Beaner
10-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Looks like they got it adjusted correctly now, Kelowna is no longer sitting there with 13,000 points, Calgary, Kootenay and MJ are the top 3.

RunTheGoalie
10-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Out of curiousity, Highlander, how does your algorithm treat OTLs and SOLs?

I'm noticing that Medicine Hat is listed in the Power Ranking as being 3-0, with no mention of their three OTLs. Seems to me that the system is treating them as being 3-0, rather than 3-3.

Homer
10-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I still don't get it.

Kelowna wins 8 in a row and is 6th? PG beats a tough division rival (Van) and drops from 8th to 9th?