PDA

View Full Version : Waker OHL bound..

Triton
10-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Overage centre Nolan Waker joined the Brampton Battalion on Wednesday after clearing waivers in the Western Hockey League.

Waker, six-foot-two and 180 pounds, was waived by the Prince Albert Raiders on Sept. 26 as part of the team reducing the overagers on its roster to three.

With overage candidate Luch Aquino, a right winger, signing with the National Hockey League's New York Islanders and being assigned to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American League, the Battalion had only two 20-year-old skaters, in right winger Brock McPherson and defenceman Nick Duff.

“I think right now there's a shortage of overagers in the Ontario Hockey League and, with some of the better ones out there, there's some uncertainty about whether they'll be back,” said Stan Butler, Battalion director of hockey operations and head coach. “That forced us to look at other options.”

Waker, a resident of Swift Current, Sask., who turns 20 on Thursday, began his WHL career as a walk-on with the Kelowna Rockets in 2003-04. He had three goals and five assists for eight points in 39 regular-season games before appearing in four playoff games and four Memorial Cup tournament games as host Kelowna won.

Waker played 11 games with Kelowna in 2004-05 before being dealt to Prince Albert last Oct. 26. He recorded three goals and eight assists for 11 points in 57 regular-season games, then contributed three goals and four assists for seven points in 17 playoff games. Waker appeared in one game with the Raiders this season.

“I think Nolan brings a lot of experience to our young team,” said Butler. “He’s won the Memorial Cup, and he played on a Prince Albert team that went deep in the playoffs last year.

“I expect him to be a two-way player. He’s been well-coached over the years by guys like Marc Habscheid in Kelowna and Peter Anholt in Prince Albert, so you know you’re getting a responsible player who knows how to win. He can show other guys what it takes, and he brought a pretty good work ethic to practice.”

Waker, who was on the Battalion's practice ice little more than an hour after his plane landed at Toronto, said he's excited about the opportunity to continue his major junior career.

“I’m still a young guy, and it’s pretty tough when you’re the fourth guy and the team can have only three overagers. But it’s good to get a second chance here. I feel very fortunate to come here and I’m looking to make the most of this opportunity.

“I’m a two-way forward and I hope to contribute offensively. I’ll take care of my own end and kill penalties. I’ve been moved around a lot over the last couple of years and I’m very comfortable at all three forward positions. That versatility gives me a good chance to get in the lineup every night.”

It's not the first time that the Battalion has reached into the WHL for an overager. Defencemen Kevin Young in 2002-03 and Rob Smith in 2003-04 were signed as free agents after clearing WHL waivers.

The Battalion, which has a 2-1 won-lost record, visits the Kingston Frontenacs on Friday night and the Belleville Bulls on Saturday night before returning home to host the Toronto St. Michael's Majors at 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving Monday

Sabes
10-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Waker scored in his first game for Brampton tonight

Sabes
10-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Waker now has 2 assists so far tonight.

Wildeyes
10-09-2005, 01:00 AM
its because novak is the longest servering raider on the team once a raider always a raider