PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 @ PG 1 - Saturday 8th

Beaner
10-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Ok watched the game again on the Internet Feed. Vancouver got back on track and played a team game tonight, getting back into the win column after 2 losses in a row.

Notes
Rutherford did not play, after getting 5 and a game for a brutal hit from behind, no word on how long his suspension will be yet.
Gordichuk, was playing forward last night. Very interesting. He actually looked ok up there. Maybe hay is thinking of adding some size to our smaller forwards?
The player the Cougars traded for was in the lineup tonight Randy King.
Shots were 25-23 for the cougars, first time the giants have been outshot, but even the cougar radio guys were saying the giants shot total seemed low.
Giants 3/8 on the PP, Cougars 0/6, Giants are still 100% for the year on the PK!
Cyr was pulled after the 3rd Giants goal for Bowles.

GOALS

1. VAN Kraus, (1) (Albers), 1:51 (PP)
1. VAN Machachek, (1) (Albers, Watt), 19:49 (PP)
2. VAN Machachek, (2) (Albers, Kraus), 4:36
2. VAN Bliznak, (1) (Repik, Albers), 15:46 (PP)
2. P.G Patterson, (4) , 17:05 - This is the only goal I remember form the night, Patterson chips it past the Giants D-man at the Cougars blueline and is on a clear cut breakaway. Completely undresses Tartaglione and its in the back of the net.

FISTICUFFS
None, which was a surprise, considering that brutal hit at the end of the game on Friday.

OFFICIATING
Mclean got the call tonight and I think he did a pretty good job, considering this game could have easily gotten out of hand. The first call on Zimmer at the 3 sec. mark was a bit weak, but he was definatley sending a message to everyone that he wasn't going to put up with any garbage tonight. I'll give him a B+ for keeping a game that could have been ugly under control.

OVERALL
The Giants shut down the Cougars last night. The Cougars just couldn't get anything going at all. Cougars had a 5-3 and some early PP and just could not get anything at the net. The giants finally got back on track with their team game and the difference showed. Specialty teams were a big difference last night.

WEBCASTING
Video good, no funny Ice changing colour as on Friday night. Followed the play very well. B+
Commentators. - Ok, Friday night I found it funny, Saturday it just annoyed me. Some notes for the 2 guys doing the Broadcasts.
1) People are watching the game. We can see what you are talking about.
2) Learn how to pronounce the darn oppositions players names correctly. I must have heard about 20 versions of Tartaglione and 10 versions of Repik. At least the colour guy didn't even try to pronounce Tartaglione and just called him Tommy/Tom for the night.
3) LEARN THE NEW RULES!!!!!!!! They are right up on the NHL/WHL website. It is not rocket science. IE: You only get a penalty for chipping the puck into the crowd, when you are in your DEFENSIVE ZONE! When you are in the Neutral zone and you do it, it is NOT A PENALTY! The Ref is not blowing the call.....

It was very aggrivating last night. I am giving them a D for that performance last night.

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT AWARD
Everytime I see someone get this penalty I shake my head. Rogers 10 mins for playing without a mouthguard in the 3rd period...

3 Stars
1. VAN - 3 Paul Albers
2. VAN - 15 Spencer Machachek
3. P.G - 25 Colin Patterson

Anyways a nice solid effort from the Giants last night. Going to have to bring your A game on Tuesday vs the ICE!

Crosby rules
10-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Hey Beaner, where the heck are the line scores on the whl site?

Beaner
10-10-2005, 10:52 AM
It is a bit hidden.

Click Schedule/scores.
Find the game you want the line score for and click it.

Sput
10-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Good recap Beaner. The Cougs were just not into the game Saturday. Vancouver out-worked and out-hustled them all night. any Don Hay team is tough to beat two nights in a row. I thought you were a bit generous giving Mclean a B+...he was just brutal all night. Is there not a 2 minute minor for shooting the puck over the glass? The Giants got away with this twice, and no call. Regardless, the Cats didn't work for it and didn't deserve the win at all. Make a stride, then fall back one seems to be the way things go right now.

rinkrat
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Is there not a 2 minute minor for shooting the puck over the glass? The Giants got away with this twice, and no call.

was it in the giants zone? Rule doesn't apply in the neutral or offensive zones.

Beaner
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
was it in the giants zone? Rule doesn't apply in the neutral or offensive zones.

No and this is what was driving me nuts with the radio guys.

1) If the puck touches anything on its way over the glass, even the glass, it is not a penalty. IE it has to be a clear shot over the glass.
2) the player shooting the puck has to be in his defensive zone to get the minor. Anywhere else it is not a penalty.

thought you were a bit generous giving Mclean a B+...he was just brutal all night

Yeah it is always tough to review the officiating when watching on the computer, as you get none of the away from the puck carrier action. He blew a few calls I thought on both teams, maybe a B+ was too much but considering the brawl fest/ cheapshot potential for this game that didn't occur, I thought he deserved a good job on that. Could have been a very ugly game.

I was hesitant to review the officiating but thought I may as well throw my 2 cents in from what I could see at home.