PDA

View Full Version : Time to panic

Broncs in RD
10-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Rebels are looking real weak besides Ashton Rome. Do you see him getting traded anytime soon for some young gun. Maybe a 17 or 18 year old?

Rebrevs
10-09-2005, 10:26 PM
As I have said before. I refuse to panic. I realize it is going to be a difficult year and am prepared to weather the storm. As far as your question.... I wouldn't be surprised to see Rome or Wick traded to a team that is preparing to bulk up for the playoffs. I don't see it happening for a while though.

RunTheGoalie
10-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, if you take away the three terrible losses to Calgary, the Rebels are 3-3 with a goal tally of 18-23.

Honestly though, I have no idea how Red Deer is even 3-6. This team has been completely blown out in the shot column all nine games they've played. Like, not even close. Hell, in the three games vs the Hitmen they've been outshot 93-46. Leslie is going to die out there unless he gets some help defensively.

I was commenting to my friends at the game today that after seeing the Rebels do so good for so long, it was odd seeing this team play so poorly. Knowing Sutter though, you guys probably have some good prospects coming up that will keep this swoon short.

peatfan
10-10-2005, 12:37 AM
What happen to the Rebels. They just were terrible. Leslie was the only one who seemed to be in the game. Both teams played last night so you can't use that as an excuse. I never even noticed Wick on the ice. I wouldn't want to be a player at the next practice. Can you say skate until you puke. They should have some legs left as they never used it tonight.
I'm sure the next time the Rebels come south they will put up a better effort against my HITMEN. Sutter won't put up with this crap for long. If you are getting rid of Rome I'm sure we could use him. :bounce:

RDRebelsfan
10-10-2005, 02:05 AM
to top this off we've allowed the most goals, obviously it's a sign that our D sucks right now or something.

nivek_wahs
10-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Just from seeing the Rebels play once this year my opinion from what I saw was this: The Rebles have yet to adapt to the rule changes. The Pats had numerous odd-man rushes and they did convert on 3 or 4 of them. The Rebels defence (forwards to a point) didn't appear to know how to react to a "stretch pass."

I think the Rebels will still come around, Sutter wont hesitate to trade to make his team better.

Kevin

D.A.
10-10-2005, 07:51 AM
I agree completely. While other teams have learned to adapt to the new rules to their advantage, the Rebels have not. (Except for Leslie - he's the only guy who seems to be able to make that long pass.) Count up the breakaways given vs. breakaways received - it ain't pretty. And hey - how about learning how not to shoot the puck over the glass in the defensive zone? That might help, too.

Rebel66
10-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Both teams played last night so you can't use that as an excuse.

It's still not really an excuse but the Rebels also played Friday night and had to make a long bus trip in between to Cranbrook and back. The Hitmen sat waiting in Calgary. There is a difference there.

After saying that, there is still no excuse for putting in a really poor effort like that. I was mentioning to someone just the other day that it seems to me that other teams have adapted much better to the new rules than the Rebels.

It's still not reason to panic anyway. This is the first bona-fide rebuilding year for the Rebels in a long time. They will get their lickings this season. Rebels fans will just have to accept that fact. I expect as it gets further along the Rebels might even get a little younger still.

That Hitmen team sure look good though. Pogge looks so assured back there. What a change he's made since arriving from Prince George.

RunTheGoalie
10-10-2005, 11:54 AM
to top this off we've allowed the most goals, obviously it's a sign that our D sucks right now or something.

You've also played the most games as well. Though, even going by GA/G the Rebels are only 16th.

Tinner
10-10-2005, 12:01 PM
As said in a previous post, the Rebels have yet to adapt to the new rules, and the question opens the door both ways. Maybe the coaching staff hasn't adapted to the new rules, that is, change the system to meet the rules and beat them. Since everyone always talks about systems, not for one minute has the system the Rebs use, changed. Maybe we can't blame the players, maybe we have to look at all the changes or we have to make changes. Either way, its not time to panic, but divisional loses will put in out of the playoffs. The clock is ticking, slowly, but ticking.

The inability of a breakout from our defensive zone is killing us in terms of players....defensive, being tired or outworked, abet the liabilities that each defenseman has.

We can't expect the goalie to win games for us because to win games, you have to score and it seems we may have to score alot.

nivek_wahs
10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
When I read these replies and seen the Rebels play, it feels as though I have had some sort of deja vu. Sounds so much like last years' Pats. Yikes. Such a hard year to watch last year. But Rebel fans keep the faith and they will turn around. The Pats already have 4 wins in 7 tries this year, they had 12 in 72, pretty impressive turnaround.

CatFan
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
the season has just started and things can turn around very quickly in junior hockey. Still, I am also wondering about how the new rules would affect the Rebels, especially after Sutter ranting about how much he hates them! Is he so much against them, that he is refusing to change his style or let the players adapt to the more offensive game? I know the rules have been great for the Tigers as we always loved the run and gun game anyway, and we have some very quick and talented rookies. We have yet to lose in regulation time and for the last few games that is without any 20 year olds and no defenceman older than 18! The game against the Rebels on Friday will be interesting, as we will see how differently the two teams play. Till then, keep the faith Rebel fans!!

peatfan
10-11-2005, 01:24 AM
I completely missed the fact that they played on Friday. 3 in 3 is tough. I'm sure the game on the 22nd will be a different story, at least closer, more competative but my HITMEN will prevail again. Hope the Rebels win tomorrow. If not Sutter will blow a gasket. :spineyes:

frontrow fan
10-11-2005, 11:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing about Sutter wanting the guys to "play the system" but has that "system" taken into account the rules changes? Makes yah wonder, doesn't it? I was hoping when Wick returned we would see an improvement in our offense, but seems like Ashton is trying to carry the whole team. Walker, Vandermeer Pieper have to get on it and make something happen as well...have been disappointed with their play thus far.. Gillies, Knackstedt, Leblanc, and and few other newbies haven't done too bad, but, they are supposed to be the ones "following the leaders".... then someone needs to lead!!! As for the Defense.. I just can't say anything positive... so I'll just not say anything...except.. Leslie can't win these games for them!!