PDA

View Full Version : Pats in First Place...

Bran
10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Well...it's early, but who honestly thought they would be in first place at any point this season? Gotta give credit to those boys, they're working hard and it's paying off. Hope they can keep it up!

From reginapats.com...

Pats Move Into First Place With A 4 - 1 Victory Over Medicine Hat

The Regina Pats improved their record to 5-3-0-0 on Monday afternoon defeating the Medicine Hat Tigers 4 - 1 on CTV/Coca-Cola Family Day.

Fans were treated to end-to-end action during the entire contest with both team putting over thirty shots on net. The first whistle of the game didn't come until 6:21 as both goalies played by the new WHL rule-book and continually advanced the puck after making a save.

After a scoreless first period Petr Kalus stripped a Tiger defenceman in the neutral one and scored an unassisted breakaway goal 1:28 into the middle frame.

David Schlemko evened the score with a power-play goal at the 6:56 mark, beating a screened David Reekie.

The Pats took five penalties in the second period, however David Reekie kept a clean sheet the rest of the way. While down a player Denis Tolpeko made a great individual play to get around a Medicine Hat defender and made a nice back-hand pass to Garrett Festerling in front of the net to give the Pats their first shorthanded goal of the season.

With time ticking down in the period, Matt Robinson fired a slap-shot top-shelf to beat Matt Keetley with 1.3 seconds remaining and give the Pats a 3 - 1 lead heading into the final period.

Curtis Hunt's side outshot the Tigers 14 - 9 in the final period. Justin Bernhardt's hard effort in the period was rewarded with under seven minutes left in the game.

David Reekie made thirty-six saves to pick up his fourth win of the season. Matt Keetley made twenty-eight saves in defeat.

Defenceman Craig Schira was rewarded for his fine defensive effort and numerous body-checks throughout the game and was named the first star.

The victory puts the Pats in first place in the division, two points ahead of Moose Jaw who have three games in-hand.

The matinee was the second game of the season at Brandt Centre to be played in under two hours.

To view the official online game sheet click here

The Pats return to action on Friday when they travel to Brandon before hosting Prince Albert on Saturday & Calgary on Sunday.

Fight Guy
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Yep...they played good today. There were some missed calls on both sides and some stupid ones called. Seemed the Tigers were getting quite frustrated in the 3rd period. Good win for the Pats.

nivek_wahs
10-11-2005, 04:24 AM
I agree... Good game all around.

I never would have thought that the Pats would be in first place. I'm a true die-hard Pats fan but I never would have thought that the Pats would be battling for first in the East. Hopefully they can keep it up and continue winning and make Pats fans proud.

David Reekie has turned out (so far) to be way better than I first thought, seeing him in training camp I didn't think he was redy to carry the heavy workload of a starter. I know there is a lot of season left but if Reekie can keep it up, the Pats will make some real noise in the WHL. All I have to say is: Mike Wall who?

Kevin