PDA

View Full Version : Brule Updates/Speculations

Beaner
10-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Brule is out for 4-6 weeks with a broken Sternum, received in the game vs. Calgary.

Tough break for Gilbert, no pun in intended.

Looks like the chances of the Giants getting Brule back before the middle of November is zero to nil now.

Get well soon Gilbert.

Tinner
10-11-2005, 12:51 PM
also, this injury has a huge financial implication. His NHL contract is not in full force until he plays 10 games. I don't know how an injury affects this.

Beaner
10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
also, this injury has a huge financial implication. His NHL contract is not in full force until he plays 10 games. I don't know how an injury affects this.

I am still not 100% sure on how it works actually, but I do believe he receives his NHL wage while he is in the NHL wether he has played 10 games or not. I havent seen or heard anything anywhere that says he doesn't receive his NHL pay while playing in the NHL.

What I do know is this;

1) If he plays 10 Games or more and is sent down, then that counts as 1 Year on his current contract, IE he would have 2 years left on his contract @ 850k + Bonuses, but he would still have the Full 7 years to UFA as described below.

2) If he plays more than 40 games, then that counts as 1 year of full service in the NHL and gets him 1 year closer to UFA, which players get after 7 years of NHL service.

Now according to the Old CBA, which I doubt was changed for this CBA, Injured players, who are injured in the course of duties for their NHL clubs are entitled to their regular pay. That was in the standard players contract.

Therefore I would speculate the following:

1) GB is receiving his regular NHL wage while he is injured.
2) He has only played 2 games towards his 10/40 for contract and UFA, since he has only played 2 games.

Another interesting fact for CBJ, is that any salary they are paying him right now will count towards the Cap until he has either missed, 10 games or been on the IR for 24 days. Not to sure about the exact numbers, but they are on the hook for any salary they are paying him until he reaches those numbers.

I really do not understand why the NHL has still not released the current CBA. It was done enough to be signed, it should be done enough for people who are interested to read.

Jovorock
10-12-2005, 06:54 AM
For sure Brule is getting NHL pay while he is injured. The only thing that sucks for Giant fans is they have to wait 4-6 weeks longer, then when he is healthy wait for the ten game mark to see what Doug McLean finally decides?

langdak
10-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I understand what you mean Jovo, about having to wait

I am actually getting accustomed to not seeing him around and it hasnt bothered me as much as i figured it would

I am really happy with the current line up and we seem to be having decent success thus far, would be nice to see him back though.

Beaner
10-12-2005, 12:47 PM
For sure Brule is getting NHL pay while he is injured. The only thing that sucks for Giant fans is they have to wait 4-6 weeks longer, then when he is healthy wait for the ten game mark to see what Doug McLean finally decides?

Yeah I confirmed the pay thing last night.

Hard to say when/if the Giants will get Brule back. My gut feeling is he be ready to play around the end of November, and maybe gets a 1-2 games for the Jackets, then is sent off to the World Juniors camp. Hard to say after that what may happen. Camp at the WJC may be the best thing for him to get back into game shape.

However, Mojo radio is now reporting that he has been sent back to Vancouver to recoup for the next 3 weeks.

I do NOT believe this means he has been sent back to the Giants, just sent home to recover from his injury.

GF71
10-12-2005, 01:04 PM
He is only coming home to re-hab...for now. Things are a bit up in the air, but too soon to tell what Columbus is going to do. He will be back in Van this evening.

Beaner
10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Brule's agent was on the radio today (Mojo730), and said that Gilbert is back in Columbus receiving rehab from the CBJ Medical staff.

Still a few weeks away from coming back, but they are hoping he will get back in the NHL for 6-7 more games.

Jovorock
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Any more word if Brule gets sent back if he will report to the Giants or was that all BS? The Jackets are the lowest team for scoring, now that Nash is back that will help. But if Brule shows some promise in the offensive department that could suck for the Giants.

Beaner
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Any more word if Brule gets sent back if he will report to the Giants or was that all BS? The Jackets are the lowest team for scoring, now that Nash is back that will help. But if Brule shows some promise in the offensive department that could suck for the Giants.

No word at all, it's all specualtion right now as to what will happen with Brule when/if he gets sent back. If he lights it up in Columbus when he gets back from injury then he could stick but who really knows? He has only played 2 games thus far so he still has 8 left till he reaches the 10 game mark. A few games in the NHL then maybe WJC? By then the CBJ should know if they have a chance at the playoffs this year or not, which may have a greater bearing on where he finishes the year.

Last rumor out there was that there was a meeting between Brule and management and he asked NOT to be traded. But it's just a rumor, and should be taken for that, much like the rumor that if he didn't make the NHL he would go to Europe.

Beaner
11-02-2005, 04:14 PM
The province is reporting the following,

Still no way back to Blue Jackets for Brule

Steve Ewen
The Province

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Gilbert Brule remains in limbo. Word out of Columbus is that Brule, the Blue Jackets' first-round pick this summer after two stellar seasons with the Vancouver Giants, won't be skating with the team for at least three more weeks. Brule, 18, suffered a fractured sternum on a hit by Flames D Roman Hamrlik on Oct. 7. The Jackets said then he'd be out four to six weeks.

The injury may hamper Brule's bid to make the Canadian team for the world junior championships in Vancouver, beginning Dec. 26. Their first exhibition game is Dec. 20 in Kelowna.

© The Vancouver Province 2005

Beaner
11-10-2005, 11:53 AM
from, The province

BRULE BETTER

The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that Gilbert Brule (sternum) should be back doing skating drills with the team in a week, and should be ready for contact drills in two weeks.

The Giants star was drafted sixth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets this summer.

Beaner
11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Mojo Radio is reporting that Brule has been practicing with the CBJ, and *may*, be back playing for them this weekend.

Beaner
11-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Brule is traveling with the CBJ, on their current raod trip and is expected to be back in the lineup, Sunday against Phoenix according to MOJO radio.

Big Daddy
11-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Kamloops announcer said Brule was in the line up today and scored his first NHL goal. Nice job.

rinkrat
11-20-2005, 09:34 PM
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20052006/GS020311.HTM :thumb:

rinkrat
11-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Dec.8th is Gilbert's ninth game,what do you think will happen? Back to the Giants,or stay in Columbus?
I bet he stays,the mgt are trying everything to stay afloat...

Big Daddy
11-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Looking at what most NHL clubs have done with the current batch of prospects I'd have to say they send him to the Giants. Most have been sent back to their teams with the exception of Crosby and Phanouf. With free agency after 7 years (25 years old for these players) I don't think they would keep anyone unless they have an immediate impact on the team. It doesn't appear Brule is doing that. If he does come back to the Giants it would make for some interesting line shakeups though. Anyone have any thoughts about future lines? How about Brule, Bartley, Kraus. Then Repik, Bliznak, Watt. Then Lucic, Lamb, Machachek. Everyone else can compete for the 4th line.

rinkrat
11-29-2005, 10:41 PM
He will be traded,along with Slade for an 18 year old 1st liner...

playon
11-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Bartley Brule Repik
Reese Kraus Lamb
Lucic Bliznak Watt (Checking Line)
Scharf Voycheck Machakek

Cziberre Dulle Hunt Rutherford
Somebody is going on this list here? Unless they are holding them for the expansion draft next season which makes sense.

Now you got players back in natural postion and pick up a checking line too...........IMO

Beaner
11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
If, and I'm still not sure if Brule will be back in junior, and the Giants don't trade Brule, then I think you do the following;

Bartley/Kraus/Repik (Line1A)
Lucic/Brule/Lamb (Line1B)
Watt/Bliznak/Hunt (Checking/Energy)
Scharff/Voytechuk/Machachek (4th)

Scratches
Rutherford (IR)
Reese (IR)
Dulle
Czibre

I like keeping B/K/R together for 3 reasons;
1) Kraus has never played better for this team since moving back to center.
2) Kraus and Repik will both be back next year, I like keeping them together so they get even more used to each other.
3) Putting Brule on another line gives you a bone afide threat on the "2nd" line, that the opposition will have to decide which line they defend against. I see no reason to break up the BKR line, they have played great so far this year.

I like having Lucic with Brule, he forechecks well, isn't afraid to go to the front of the net, and he is more than willing to drop the gloves, especially if someone does something stupid to Brule. When Reese gets back I would bump Lamb down. Reese has played very well in the limited games hes seen, just had crummy luck with the injuries, once hes back get him on a line with Brule.