PDA

View Full Version : Americans And Cougars Make A Deal

Stay-Puft
10-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Kennewick, WA – The Tri-City Americans today have obtained 18-year-old defenseman Ryan Gillen from the Prince George Cougars in exchange for 18-year-old right wing Kirk Meaver.

The 6’7”, 230 pound native of Golden, B.C. will be added to the Americans roster immediately. In his second WHL campaign, Gillen appeared in eight games for the Cougars this year and had no points and 16 penalty minutes. He was a minus three. In 2004-05, Gillen had no points and 33 PIM’s in 37 games for the Cougars.

Meaver, in this third WHL campaign appeared in two games for the Americans and had no points, two penalty minutes and was a minus two. In 107 career games, Meaver had 12 goals, 23 points and 42 penalty minutes.

“Early in the season we are beginning to restructure our team,” said Americans vice president/general manager Bob Tory. “This deal gives us more size and depth on our blue line. We thank Kirk for his contributions over the last three years and wish him the best in Prince George.”

Stay-Puft
10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I guess Tory is addressing the blueline inexperience, pretty quickly too. That will make 9 defensemen on the active roster. Good sized kid. He'll fit right in with Schnieder and Emmerson. Hope the bus has a couple of seats with good leg room. Any info on Guillen would be appreciated.

Good luck Kirk.

HAF
10-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I think this is going to be a really smart move. Meaver has been a healthy scratch all year so far anyways. We desperately need help on the blueline.
I'm assuming he will dress by Fridays game right? I cant imagine him being ready for Portland tomarrow night.

Homer
10-11-2005, 05:09 PM
If you are looking for an experienced blueliner, think again. Gillen joined the Cougars part way through last year, so is esentially a rookie. He is big and was off to a pretty good start this year. Needs to use his size to his advantage as he is often pretty soft for a big boy.

What is Meaver like? What we need in PG is second/third line help scoring.

Stay-Puft
10-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't count out for tomorrow's game. Who knows how long ago he found out. They may be flying him down here for the divisional game.

Homer - Meaver will probably be a 3rd or 4th line forward. He displayed some skills during his 16-yr-old season, but not much since. He didn't get much ice time the last two years either as a 3rd or 4th liner. We seemed to play the top two lines 80% of the time last year.

AMS Princess
10-12-2005, 11:25 PM
I enjoyed seeing Meaver on and off the ice. He is nice kid and would probably be helpful with the 3rd or 4th line. His first year on the 4th line was a saving grace line. He did improve last year, but I guess not enough. Good luck to him in PG.

For Gillen, I have heard mixed things about him. Let's see if we can use his size for some of those teams with big guys, such as Portland. :)