PDA

View Full Version : David Rutherford Suspended

langdak
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
David Rutherford has been suspended for 5 games for the hit from behind in PG last weekend.

He will miss the 2 games this weekend, and the game on the 18th against Kelowna

http://whl.ca/news/?id=3258

WHL ANNOUNCES SUSPENSIONS

-Kamloops Blazers forward Kris Versteeg has been suspended for one game for receiving a major and a game misconduct for checking-from-behind versus Prince Albert on October 10.

-Vancouver Giants forward David Rutherford has been suspended for five games for receiving a major and a game misconduct for checking-from-behind at Prince George on October 7. Two games of the suspension have been served with three games remaining.

Beaner
10-12-2005, 10:28 AM
5 Seems right, he is lucky it wasnt more.

GF71
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I talked to him after the game last night. He seems quite remorseful that he hurt the kid from PG. He thoguht he was getting at least 10...feeling pretty fortunate that he only got 5.

Beaner
10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I talked to him after the game last night. He seems quite remorseful that he hurt the kid from PG. He thoguht he was getting at least 10...feeling pretty fortunate that he only got 5.

Yeah I originally said 2, maybe 5 but in retrospect 10 was not out of the question. Especially since the Cougar had to have surgery to fix his wrist.

Sput
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
From what I heard from both billets and players, all that was holding Brotnov's wrist together was the skin. The break was completely through and flopping around. After a few pins and screws to put things back together, he'll still be out 8 weeks. Personally I was hoping for more, but 5 is fair enough. Regardless, a check like that had no place in the game at all.

langdak
10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
From what I heard from both billets and players, all that was holding Brotnov's wrist together was the skin. The break was completely through and flopping around. After a few pins and screws to put things back together, he'll still be out 8 weeks. Personally I was hoping for more, but 5 is fair enough. Regardless, a check like that had no place in the game at all.

I agree with you Sput...........hits like that dont belong anywhere

Not to sound like i agree with what happened, but in some cases a clean break right through is better then a fracture.......hopefully he is back in due time and can continue his WHL career, nobody needs to suffer for a lengthy period because of goofy hits like that one

I figured it would have been more then 5 games because of the severity of Brotnov's injury...but the league probably looks at the fact that Rutherford is a first time offender, but if he tries that kinda move again, i can guarantee there wont be the "forgiving" 5 game suspension.

Beaner
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Wow, hopefully he is ok soon.

On another Rutherford note, the Vancouver Sun is reporting that he suffered a concussion in practice on Wednesday. He did not skate with the team on Thursday.