PDA

View Full Version : Mueller shakes 1st goal Jinx

Tipped Off
10-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Silvertips

First-goal jinx ends with win in Kennewick

By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

After Peter Mueller didn't score on a penalty shot Saturday in the Tri-Cities, he conceded he was beginning to wonder when he'd score a goal in the Western Hockey League (WHL).

The skilled center from Bloomington, Minn., had one measly assist in his first three games for the Everett Silvertips. He had turned down a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota to play in the WHL.

"Anytime you get a penalty shot, you really want to put it in," Mueller said after being stopped by the Tri-City Americans' Carey Price in the first period in Kennewick.

"Not having scored was in the back of my head, but I just had to keep playing my game to finally get that weight off my shoulders."

Mueller scored his first goal at the 8:33 mark of the second period and helped the Silvertips beat the Americans 3-0.

Going up against Price, a first-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens, wasn't ideal. The two had played against each other in April when Price played for Team Canada and Mueller for Team USA in the U-18 (under-18) World Championship in the Czech Republic.

Though Mueller's team beat Canada 5-1 to win the gold medal, Price had the upper hand this time.

"He's the type of goaltender who can be pretty intimidating," Mueller said. "I mean, he was the fifth pick in the entire draft. I made a good shot, but he played it well."

Mueller, who is 6 feet 2, 205 pounds and a strong skater rarely fazed by bigger defenders, said the adjustment from playing in the U.S. national-team development program to competing in the WHL was bigger than he had anticipated.

"The talent in this league is just amazing," Mueller said. "Everyone on the ice is good. It's a far more physical game, and everything is a lot quicker. It's the best league to improve your skills."

Leaving several teammates who are planning to play at Minnesota wasn't easy for Mueller, who is 17 and taking classes at Everett High School. He has always played with older players.

"I talked to [Silvertips] coach [Kevin] Constantine before the decision, and I did a lot of research and just decided it was best for me with the 72-game schedule," Mueller said. "I'm really happy with the way it's working out and wouldn't have it any other way."

Mueller said he expects the Silvertips to improve on their 2-3 start.

Everett has scored only 13 goals in five games, but Mueller said the goals will soon come faster.

"We're getting better, and everyone on the team has the heart to make the drive to get to the playoffs," Mueller said. "We have a lot of skilled players, and pretty soon things are really going to click."

Mueller said learning Everett's system came relatively quickly after playing for the U.S. development teams.

"I kind of took to it right away, but there are still things I need to tune up, and the learning is still in progress," Mueller said. "... Playing in the system has made me stronger and more of a puck hound."

Even though he didn't score on his penalty shot, Mueller is looking forward to another opportunity when the Silvertips get involved in their first shootout, a new element this season to eliminate tie games.

"I think all the players are looking forward to it," Mueller said. "It's just between you and the goaltender to see who comes out on top. We've all been working on it to figure out what the best moves might be."

Notes

• After describing his start to the season as "very average," Leland Irving was much better than that last week. Everett's second-year goaltender stopped 51 of 52 shots in two games. The only score he allowed came on a power play. Irving's shutout Saturday in the Tri-Cities was his first of the season and the third of his career. He ranks eighth in the WHL with a goals-against average of 2.034.

• The Silvertips have traded defenseman Randy King to the Prince George Cougars for a draft pick.

• The Silvertips will get another shot at Spokane goaltender Jim Watt in Everett tonight. Watt shut out Everett last Wednesday. The Silvertips then are off until Saturday, when they travel to play Kamloops.