PDA

View Full Version : Blazers over Ice

scamperdog
10-12-2005, 10:48 PM
So the Blazers other team appeared tonight off and on and played well enough for a 4-1 win, lucky for the Ice we only showed up for 5 minutes in the first, dominated the second, and come out in the first half of the third trying to nurse the lead, a full sixty minute effort and the ice would have melted and become desert rats, good effort to Nixon Tesluk and Jorgansen played strong game tonight, heres hoping the team is headed in the right direction! :groovy:

MJCO5
10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
As well as my follow Blazers fan i agree that blazers other team did show up for part of the game but also came out in the third period and sat on the two goal lead now WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN every time they go into the third period with the lead it all points to bad coaching FIRE MARK FERNER and also a another note Ben Olsen single handedly cost Deven Dubnyk his first shut out of the season by failing to make contact with anything the letting Dale Mahovsky skate in and tip it over a spralwing Dubnyk
once again THE COACH HAS TO GO

MJCO5
10-12-2005, 11:30 PM
5 years and counting out of the 1st round.......Bet nobody will touch that streak for a while.

KBF you post this message at the end of all your posts now why is it you think we hold this streak if we don't need a coaching change
FIRE MARK FERNER

scamperdog
10-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Call it a bit of revenge
by Gregg Drinnan (kamloops Daily News)

It in no way makes up for 47 seconds last spring but you can bet the Kamloops Blazers found Wednesday night’s 4-1 WHL victory over the Kootenay Ice to be rather sweet just the same.

It was just over six months ago that the Ice took six games to eliminate the Blazers from a best-of-seven first-round playoff series. In Game 4 of that series, the Blazers, on home ice, were 47 seconds from taking a 3-1 series lead when they coughed up a late goal and then lost in overtime. Kamloops never recovered, and exited with three straight losses.

Although it was hardly a playoff atmosphere last night, in front of 4,699 fans at the Interior Savings Centre, the Blazers made certain there wasn’t a repeat performance as they turned in their best game since beating the Rockets 3-2 in Kelowna on Sept. 5.

“The only thing that changed was the execution,” offered Kamloops assistant coach Ryan Thorpe, reflecting on a 3-0 loss to the visiting Prince Albert Raiders on Monday. “I don’t think our game plan will change all season. It’s pretty plain and simple what makes us successful and for the most part tonight we did that.”

“We had a couple of stretches, one in the first when I thought we didn’t play great, and again in the third when they worked us good,” said Kamloops captain Reid Jorgensen, who froze the Ice with his side’s third goal. “For the main part, we got goals at the right times and that always helps.”

The Blazers scored first for only the third time this season and took a 2-0 lead into the third period, both goals coming on rockets off the stick of Russian defenceman Roman Tesliuk.

“On the first goal, I just shot and tried to get it to the net because so many guys were in front and goalie don’t see so well,” said Tesliuk of his goal at 18:12 of the first period. “So many guys goalie doesn’t have a clue where it is.

“On the second one (on the power play 40 seconds into the second period), (Marc) Connors gave me a pass and I used a one-timer. I saw a wide-open net so I tried to put it right in the net. Still hard, but not that hard because I see wide-open net.”

Veteran centre Dale Mahovsky of the Ice, who returned from a three-game suspension and lost the faceoff to Janick Steinmann that led to the game’s first goal, got his guys to within one at 2:38 of the third.

And for a bit, as Jorgensen said, the Ice worked the Blazers good. The home boys looked to be in a spot of trouble, too, as referee Pat Smith fingered defenceman Ryan Bender, who had his best game this season, for high-sticking Mahovsky at 11:43.

The Blazers — especially Connors, Jorgensen, Brock Nixon and Kevin Hayman — were terrific on the penalty kill. And as Bender stepped back on the ice, Jorgensen, who seconds earlier had blocked a shot, broke down the right wing with 6-foot-2, 200-pound defenceman Chad Greenan all over him and managed to put a one-hander through goaltender Kris Lazaruk.

“It was one of those things,” Jorgensen said. “Pucks will eventually go in but I’ve been struggling lately. I had a couple of opportunities earlier that I felt could have put the game away.

“It was just a one-handed shot that went through the five-hole. Heck I’ll take that anytime. I just had a guy on my shoulder and was holding him with one arm so I shovelled it. Sometimes those go in.”

While his goal didn’t end the game, Jorgensen felt it definitely spelled r-e-l-i-e-f.

“It helped,” he said. “They were all over us (just before the goal). We had just finished killing off a penalty … Hayman and Nixon have been unbelievable killing penalties.”

“We didn’t capitalize on the power play,” Ice head coach Cory Clouston said, “and (there was) kind of a bobbled puck at the blue line and Jorgensen gets a great second-effort goal … and that just kind of collapsed us.”

The Ice went into the game with the WHL’s top power-play unit, having scored 12 times in 40 opportunities. On this night, though, Kootenay was 0-for-4.

Just 40 seconds after Jorgensen’s goal, Kamloops left-winger Terrance Delaronde, who also had a strong game, came off the right-side boards and fired a quick shot over Lazaruk to ice the victory.

Steinmann, the Swiss freshman, looks more and more comfortable with each outing and now has five points in nine games. More important, though, is that he is winning faceoffs and playing hard along the wall.

“We practise pretty hard two or three times a week on faceoffs,” Steinmann said, adding that he has worked a lot on faceoff strategies with Hayman.

Steinmann also admitted that he only now is beginning to feel healthy and strong.

“I’m feeling better and better,” Steinmann offered, adding that up until the last few days he has had a lot of trouble sleeping, a problem that doesn’t afflict too many teenagers.

“I don’t know,” he said when asked why he hasn’t been able to sleep. “I have a great bed and great billets … no idea.”

No matter. He certainly looked well-rested last night.

“He’s still learning the game,” Thorpe said of Steinmann, who was the Blazers’ lone selection in the CHL’s 2005 import draft. “His second shift he tries to toe-drag a guy with one hand on his stick and moves the puck to the middle. That’s the way he’s used to playing the game.

“But he’s competing and he’s getting to pucks first and getting his body in there. That’s a good sign.”

Goaltender Devan Dubnyk also played well for the Blazers. He made 19 saves as his mates, for the eighth time in nine games, limited the opposition to 21 or fewer shots.

“Pucks hit him and he didn’t leave pucks laying around,” Thorpe said. “He’s been getting better and better and I think he’s coming into his own.”

JUST NOTES: Referee Pat Smith gave the Blazers five of nine minors, one of two majors and one of two misconducts … Kamloops was 1-for-3 on the power play … Lazaruk, who has played every minute of the Ice’s first nine games, made 27 saves, 16 of them in the second period when the visitors were outshot 17-2 … In the third, however, he was beaten on the first two shots he faced.

Kamfan
10-14-2005, 12:48 AM
and also a another note Ben Olsen single handedly cost Deven Dubnyk his first shut out of the season by failing to make contact with anything the letting Dale Mahovsky skate in and tip it over a spralwing Dubnyk

Not to mention his two stupid early penalties (one for shooting the puck over the boards from behind the net under no pressure and one for losing body position on his man in front and having to use his stick to get it back) and his awesome point shot in the first that went over the net by about 5 feet. Scares me every time he touches the puck.