PDA

View Full Version : PG 5 @ VAN 4 - Oct 14th

Beaner
10-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, interesting game last night at the Coliseum. Lots of hits, some nice place plays, some very sloppy plays, both teams were working hard but some lapses in concentration cost the Giants the game. Cougars got some good goaltending when they needed it Vancouver did not. Vancouver took a lot of stupid penalties tonight, and it cost them.

NOTES
Rutherford, was out for Game 3 of 5 of his suspensions.
Scharff and Voytechuk did not play either with injuries for the Giants.
Andy Rogers was in the lineup tonight for the Cougars.
Shots were 33/21 in favour of the Giants.
Giants PK streak of 7 straight games without a PP goal against was finally broken tonight.
Cougars 3/9 on the PP, Giants 0/7, Giants got 1 Shorthanded tonight.
Slade was pulled after the 3rd PG Goal.

GOALS
1. P.G Rai, (1) (Wishart, Rogers), 5:48 (PP) - Wishart makes a nice bench side to penalty box side pass to Rai, Albers try to deflect the puck but misses, Rai is sent in alone from the Giants blue line and he puts it past Slade.
1. VAN Machachek, (3) (Watt, Albers), 14:37 - Watt gets a bouncing puck at the Blue line manages to settle it down and makes a no look backhand pass to Machachek who one times it past Bowles. No chance for Bowles.
2. VAN Albers, (1) (Bartley), 9:03 (SH) - Albers has the puck and takes a big shot that is saved rebound comes out near the blue line, Bartley gets the puck, passes to Albers who is between the circles, who then fires it past Bowles. PG called a Time out after this goal.
2. P.G Drazenovic, (4) , 9:26 (PP) - Drazenovick has the puck thru the Neutral zone, Watt catches him with high stick but he keeps going, delayed peenalty. Giants basically stop including Slade, Drazenovic comes into the zone and roofs one past Slade form the top of the circles. People say Slade was screened, I say he wasn't paying attention.
2. P.G Cooper, (2) , 13:51 - - Another bad goal allowed. From the Blue line Cooper just throws it at the net High, and Slade missed it. I don't think he was paying attention again. That was it for Salde as he was replaced by Tartaglione.
3. P.G King, (1) (Hunter, Drazenovic), 4:25 (PP) - Faceoff in the Giants Zone, Cougars win, King gets the puck slides close to the middle and fires it past Tartaglione.
3. VAN Lucic, (1) (Lamb, Franson), 6:58 - Shot from lamb bit of a bad rebound with a goal mouth scramble, Lucic manages to get a stick on the puck and tap it in for the goal.
3. P.G Patterson, (5) (Hunter), 17:41 - Patterson breaks down the right side cuts into the middle just in front of the crease and puts it past Tartaglione.
3. VAN Czibere, (1) (Franson), 18:44 - Giants have the extra attacker out, Franson takes the shot from the point, big rebound to Czibre in the slot who put it in the back of the net.

FISTICUFFS
None tonight. Even though Gordichuk, dropped the gloves and wanted to go with someone nothing happened.

OFFICIATING
I wasn't happy with the Smith tonight. Semmed to be a lot of calls that I felt were questionable and some blatent ones that he just missed. Im going to give him a C tonight. Besides that I have not much else to say about him.

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT AWARD
Hmm lets see, so many to choose from, Giants and Cougars with both having a too many men on the Ice, Slade with playing the puck in the corner, but I'm going to go with Repik shooting the puck over the glass in third that led to PG's 5th goal. He was near the blueline at the time, that should have never happened.

OVERALL
PG worked better than Vancouver tonight. Vancouver had spurts where they out worked the cougars but too many lapses to give them a chance to win. The goaltending for Van was not good tonight as well, and so were some of the defensive zone plays. Props to the Cats, they came in worked hard, fell behind but stuck to their game plan and got the win.

3 Stars
1. P.G - 20 Eric Hunter
2. P.G - 10 Nicholas Drazenovic
3. VAN - 15 Spencer Machachek

Even though the Giants lost, it was an entertaining game.

Homer
10-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Nice recap Beaner. I think the info is better than we have from the local media.

I haven't seen Kamloops, Kelowna, or Kootenay this year but after what I've seen of my own Cougars and your Giants I would say the BC Division is going to be tough night in and night out. Hopefully Slade can pick it up because having consistent goaltending could be one big difference in the standings.

Beaner
10-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Nice recap Beaner. I think the info is better than we have from the local media.

I haven't seen Kamloops, Kelowna, or Kootenay this year but after what I've seen of my own Cougars and your Giants I would say the BC Division is going to be tough night in and night out. Hopefully Slade can pick it up because having consistent goaltending could be one big difference in the standings.

Thanks, glad you like the recap.

Yes, at this point and time the BC Division is very tough - Seen all the teams in the BC division thus far, I would have to say there are no easy games in the BC Division. Can easily make an arguement that it is the toughest division in the league thus far, though it is early in the year. All teams playing above 500 is a good sign for the divisions strength.

As to Slade - He has played well thus far, I think he just got caught watching the game last night and not playing it. The goal with Drazenovic, I think he thought the play would be called on the delayed penalty, and the Cooper goal he assumed the puck would make it out of the zone. Just one of those nights for Slade. I expect him to bounce back tonight vs. Lethbridge. Defensive zone coverage tonight was weak as well tonight, not to make an excuse for Dustin, he should have had those 2, but it was weak.

Bran
10-15-2005, 04:28 PM

I think you're right about the BC Division...it doesn't sound like Vancouver has been playing too bad most nights and they're in last place right now. As far as Slade...I wouldn't worry too much about him. He probably just had one of those nights, and he doesn't have many. Sometimes he does things that really make you wonder what he's thinking (dumb penalties like the one mentioned above), but he's good and one of the more consistent goalies I've seen here in Regina.

Beaner
10-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Yep Vancouver has played very well thus far, except in their 3 losses.

Forgot something very interesting last night.

INTERESTING PLAY OF THE NIGHT
This happened during the Drazenovic goal.

Lamb ( I think) , is in the box serving the penalty. Watt clips Drazenovic with the High stick, Ref immedialety puts up the arm for the delayed call, it is an obvious 2 min minor. Drazenovic manages to keep the puck in and scores before the Giants touch the puck.

Now for the interesting part. Lamb is released from the box, he had about 30 secs. left in his minor, Watt put in for the full 2 mins of his delayed call. A lot of confusion over this since they scored on the delay with the people in my section. None of us had ever seen an incident like this happen. Giants didnt seem to argue the call at all, so I have to assume the Ref made the right call.

Only thing we could figure out was the following. If 2 guys are in the box with minors, and the team on the PP scores, then the guy with the least amount of time on his penalty is released fromt he box. Thus since Lamb still had time on his penalty 30 secs., and Watt still had the full 2 mins, Lamb gets out first.

Anyone know if thats the way it works? No one was really sure what the correct call is in that situation, since when goals are scored on the delay, no one goes to the box.

It was an interesting situation to say the least - personally I think the ref got the right call in that situation.

Sput
10-15-2005, 04:44 PM
I wasn't to sure myself about that call when I heard it. Our PBP guy was surprised when the goal didn't nulify the up-coming penalty, tho a lot of things in the course of a game take him by surprise. Maybe your logic of Lamb still having two mins left makes sense.

And I agree.....great recap! Our paper barely hit the highlights of the game let alone anything as complete as your recap. Maybe Swanny could get a few lesons frm ya? :D

rinkrat
10-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Yep Vancouver has played very well thus far, except in their 3 losses.

Forgot something very interesting last night.

INTERESTING PLAY OF THE NIGHT
This happened during the Drazenovic goal.

Lamb ( I think) , is in the box serving the penalty. Watt clips Drazenovic with the High stick, Ref immedialety puts up the arm for the delayed call, it is an obvious 2 min minor. Drazenovic manages to keep the puck in and scores before the Giants touch the puck.

Now for the interesting part. Lamb is released from the box, he had about 30 secs. left in his minor, Watt put in for the full 2 mins of his delayed call. A lot of confusion over this since they scored on the delay with the people in my section. None of us had ever seen an incident like this happen. Giants didnt seem to argue the call at all, so I have to assume the Ref made the right call.

Only thing we could figure out was the following. If 2 guys are in the box with minors, and the team on the PP scores, then the guy with the least amount of time on his penalty is released fromt he box. Thus since Lamb still had time on his penalty 30 secs., and Watt still had the full 2 mins, Lamb gets out first.

Anyone know if thats the way it works? No one was really sure what the correct call is in that situation, since when goals are scored on the delay, no one goes to the box.

It was an interesting situation to say the least - personally I think the ref got the right call in that situation.

Personally,I thought that goal would cancel BOTH penalties.Lamb would get out AND Watt would not serve his penalty.
As you say,Don Hay didn't argue,which is what I looked for....It must've been the correct call.

GF71
10-16-2005, 09:45 AM
IMO...it was apretty gross effort by the Giants. From what I saw, Slade was looking up at the video screen when Drag. scored. They just didn't have it together taht night, and gout out worked and out hustled plain and simple. There was only a handful of players that I would say had decent games. :mad:

thankyougiants
10-17-2005, 12:15 PM
My understanding and those around me of that call as odd as it was.. The highstick call was meant to be a 4 minute and they down-graded it to a 2 minute. It made sense when I heard it that night, but now as I type, I am perplexed!

I do remember the highstick being a serious one though!!

Beaner
10-17-2005, 12:44 PM
My understanding and those around me of that call as odd as it was.. The highstick call was meant to be a 4 minute and they down-graded it to a 2 minute. It made sense when I heard it that night, but now as I type, I am perplexed!

I do remember the highstick being a serious one though!!

We had thought that as well, but the stick that caught Drazenovic caught him actually on the shoulder. It was an obvious 2 min minor IMO. I saw the whole play as the high stick happened right in front of me, and it clipped his shoulder, no head shot on it for the 4. It wasn't that serious. It was a high stick and worthy of a 2 min. penalty. If it had clipped Drazenoics face I am pretty sure he would have went down.

If it had been worth 4 Drazenovic would have at least broken stride, He didnt even stop, or flinch. He did have the puck at the time, and just kept moving. I cant see it being worth 4, but it was something we also discussed.

Beaner
10-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't know why I didn't just look this up when it happend, but I just thought of it now. :spineyes:

from, http://whl.ca/about/rules.php?id=105&showToc=1

If when a Team is "short-handed" by reason of one or more minor or bench minor penalties, the Referee signals a further minor penalty or penalties against the "short-handed" Team and a goal is scored by the non-offending side before the whistle is blown, then the goal shall be allowed. The penalty or penalties signalled shall be assessed and the first of the minor penalties already being served shall automatically terminate under Rule 26(c) - Minor Penalties. Major and match penalties shall be imposed in the normal manner regardless of whether or not a goal is scored.

So, correct call for Smith on this incident.