PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes 3 @ Giants 5 10/15

Beaner
10-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Better effort tonight out of the Giants tonight, in a penalty filled, scrambley affair at the coliseum. There were some good hits and passes, but a lot of broken plays on both sides. Hurricanes had a couple open cages to fire at in the first and either missed the puck or just missed the net. They are truely snakebit in the goal scoring department. I felt the Giants gave a good effort but hardly their "A" game last night. Slade was much improved over the other night, a couple goals he may want back, but at least tonight he has paying attention.

NOTES
Rutherford was out tonight game 4 of 5 of his suspension.
Voytechuk did not dress, still out with a groin injury.
Blum was a healthy scratch I believe.
Gabriel was in the lineup as was Scharff who is back from his ankle injury.
Vancouver once again went with 11F/7D but all the defenceman played defence tonight, which led to a lot of combinations up front and on the back end tonight.
Leclerc got the start tonight and was pulled after the 3rd Giants goal.
Shots were 36-22 for the Giants.
Hurricanes 1/9, Giants 2/8 on the PP.

GOALS
1. VAN Kraus, (2) (Repik, Gordichuk), 12:09 I can't remember this goal for the life of me. I think it was a shot from the circle that beat Leclerc but the old brain pan is failing me on this one. ;)
1. VAN Lamb, (2) (Bliznak), 15:22 (PP) – Bliznak has the puck behind the goal line, right at the corner of the net. Feeds Lamb who is 2 feet away and puts in short side. Leclerc got caught cheating off the post.
2. VAN Lamb, (3) (Kraus, Gabriel), 5:18 Lamb gets the puck from Kraus who did some very nice work to get the puck to him, comes out from behind the net and backhands it past Leclerc.
2. LET Boychuk, (1) (Billsten, Hogg), 9:42 Boychuk gets the big shot loose at Salde who slows it down but it Trickes towards the far corner. Dustin makes the big dive with the paddle to try and stop it, but it just has too much energy and makes it into the cage. Almost the save of the year thus far, but oh well. Dustin probably should have had the original shot.
2. LET Pess, (2) (Wright), 14:49 Big defensive miscues on this goal, as the Dman at the point, I think it was Gabriel got the puck chipped past him at the blueline, then a big defensive zone breakdown capped off by the 1 giant defender backing into the other at the blueline. Pess ends up putting it in the net. I thought the defender that got beat was Gabriel, but the box score doesn’t have him on the ice at the time???
2. VAN Lucic, (2) (Fistric), 17:14 – Fistric has the puck at the point Lucic goes into the high slot gets the feed and beats Opsahl with a nice one timer.
3. LET Kaye, (2) (Boychuk, Klinkhammer), 2:17 (PP) Boychuk gets the nice pass from Klinkhammer near the circle could have easily fired the shot but spots the open man, Kaye on the opposite side near the net and feeds him with a nice pass for the open cage goal.
3. VAN Kraus, (3) (Lamb, Gordichuk), 3:41 (PP) Beautiful goal on this one, Kraus gets the puck from behind the net low, near the bottom of the circle, and puts a shot into the only open spot on the short side, about a 6” square area top corner. I am sure Opsahl thought he had the short side covered but there was just a little room open Top shelf.

FISTICUFFS
At the end of the game Gabriel throws a big hit on Billsten just as the horn sounds. Gloves come off, linesman and all the players jump in its a big mass of bodies on the Ice. Who knows if anyone got any punches thrown or landed. All the players eventually pair off, but eveyrone keeps their heads and nothing else starts up. DRAW.

OFFICIATING
Official of the night was Vetter, and I was not impressed. Half the calls he did make no one in my section new what, or why, the heck he was calling the penalty. Some mysterious phantom calls IMO and some obvious non-calls. A terrible job from Vetter tonight. 1st time we had seen him here in Vancouver and I hope the last. Grade: D

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT AWARD
Pretty easy with this one. Vancouver got caught TWICE with too many men tonight. Thats 3 of those in 2 games guys. Wake up give your heads a shake.

BEANER DOES A FASHION REPORT
A special add on for the rare occurence that it happens. I am not a huge fan of Dustin Slades big silver pads, but ohh the Giants wore their 3rd jersies tonight and those pads look great with black and silver jersies. Very spiffy Dustin. :thumb: ;)

FANS OF THE NIGHT AWARD
Thats right 2 special Reports in one game, amazing. This award goes to the group of fans sitting in Section V in the first couple rows who came out to cheer for Hurricanes Goalie Kevin Opsahl. They started the game calling for Leclerc to get pulled in favour of Opsahl, they even brought signs saying we want Opsahl. Cheered everytime Vancouver scored, until they got their wish and Opsahl got put into the game in the 2nd Period. Once that happened they became tried and true 'cane Fans. It was very funny and they were an enthusiastic group let me tell you. I think there were about 20 of them in all.

OVERALL
A good win against a team that is obviously sturggling right now to put the puck in the net and keep it out of there own. Yellowhorn was trying but the 'canes just couldnt get anything going all night, and it looks like he does not have a lot of support. The Giants played a lot better than Friday, but still, not quite the work effort they are going to need next weekend for the home and home against Kelowna. Cut down on dumb penalties, a bit more support from team-mates to the puck carrier and the Giants will be fine.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 13 Kyle Lamb
2. VAN - 12 Tim Kraus
3. LET - 11 Zach Boychuk

langdak
10-16-2005, 01:28 PM
**Update info on the first goal

Just a quick recap

Repik pass to Goridchuk at the line

Gordichuk shot on net from the blue line

Puck comes across the crease as Kraus enters the goal area, right onto his stick and a wide open net to shoot at.......Goal #1 on the night.

amisk
10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: : :

GF71
10-16-2005, 05:16 PM
No Question...those re-caps rule! :bounce:
Have to ad that Gabriel was the D-man who got schooled on Pess' goal, which was a beauty.