PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on the Season so Far

Joe Hallenback
10-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Its been a tough start to the season so far for the Wheaties and while Its not surprising that they have lost a few it is surprising that they have gotten blown out in so many games. I had originally thought that they would be a decent defensive team that would struggle to score but they would keep it somewhat close. From my point of view they seem to lack alot of jump in most of the games(I have seen all the games so far this season) and are continually stuck in there own zone and cannot keep any kind of sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

The Players

Tyler Plante - He has played extremely well and so far has proven why the Panthers choose him with there second pick in this years draft. Facing in excess of 30+ shots a game he has gotten better at rebound control and he doesnt flop around as much. Really cant fault him for the bad start and if anything has given his team a chance to keep it close in a few games.

Mike Nichol - I am not a Nichol hater as a lot of people seem to be. Its tough being a backup who is not going to play that much. Ya he had a really bad game in Red Deer but his team didnt help out much either.

Ryan Reaves - For a guy who looked like 2 ton recking ball during last years playoff run who took his game to the "Next Level" I cant think of any player who has been more disappointing. He doesnt score,hit or fight I dont know what hes doing out there anymore. Reaves needs a reality check and if the Wheaties are going to do anything at all this season they will need him to change his game completely.

Tyler Dittmer - Offensive genius? more like Defensive Liability. Sorry Tyler but your playing terrible you have 4 points and you get most of the powerplay time. I dont think he can play at this level personally and it might be time to just let him go and call in some 16 year olds to give them some experiance.

Cody Burki - Sometimes he looks like a future NHLer other times he completly disappears. Once he was a surefire bet to be a late 1st rounder in next years draft but with the way hes playing he will be lucky to get drafted at all. He needs to get consistent and drive to the net. He plays on the outside way to much and if you want to score your going to have to take some punsihment.

Teegan Moore and Derek LeBlanc - I think both of these guys have played well and work harder then anyone else each night. They have put up decent numbers and have shown both leadership and a willingness to get invovled physically each night.

The Euros - Sandell is playing really well and works hard each night. He currently leads the team in points and has only played 6 games. Wikner is starting to adjust to the WHL game and has come on as late. He should start producing some more and really back checks hard.

Lenoski - I think he tries to do too much and should go back to the simple game he played last year. saying that however I dont think he has been as bad as most think he has.

Boyle - Improved over last season and one of the better Wheaties so far this season. I think he needs to get stronger as he gets bounced around out there. Only wheatie defencemen that is plus.

Day - Needs to be the Rock on defence and I dont think he has been so far. Again like Lenoski tries to do to much and he really isnt all that offensively gifted. I think if he concentrated more on his defensive game the Wheaties would be better off. Still one of the toughest players in the league.

Yeo - To say he is like Webb is a disservice he is much much better then Webb. His defensive play has been solid and he keeps it simple in his own end. He will be one of the toughest players bye years end and if his skating improves he might get a look during draft time.

Courchene - one word bad. Shouldnt be playing defence since he has no idea where the defensive zone is. Takes bad penalties and doesnt draw any.

Cann - For a first round draft pick he really has been a bust. I was expecting more out of him this season but hes playing like someone who would have a difficult time in the MJHL let alone the dub.

Aulie and Erb - I cant fault 2 rookies and so far both have made mistakes but I would rather have either of these guys playing night after night the either Courchene or Cann. Let both of them Develop and I think we can count on them for big minutes next year.

Derlago - for guy coming back from career ending neck injury i think hes been okay not great but lets revisit him after say the 30 game mark and I think we will see his points slowing creeping up with more improved play.

Hewitt - The guy is a decent fighter but he is a defensive liability so far this season. He needs to get alot better defensively because he has been on for alot of goals against.

Hallick - big kid with some skills. Liked to see him play more because I think he will develop nicely. Future number one center I think

The rest have been okay but they are not the core of the team so its not fair to comment on guys who play a few shifts

WHEATMAN
10-17-2005, 02:37 PM
i agree mostly, reaves really needs to step it up, i was counting on 35-55 points from him and so far he hasnt produced worth a damn, as for cann, i disagree, this year will be a make or break year, we'll know if he will be a bust like topilko after the season. As for yeo i have been very pleased, he is playing great, and in my books has been the glue holding together our defence, im also really impressed with sandell, he is really stepping it up and is playing with confidence, as for day i am dissapointed, he just isnt playing well at all, same with tyler dittmer, he is playing bad, and shouldnt be playing in the WHL at all.

Triton
10-17-2005, 02:43 PM
From what I heard there's a huge package deal brewing between the blades,wheatkings and lethbridge involving 11 players in the coming weeks.Could include Courchene and company.Nice summary of the team though.Where is Moore these days as well as Louis?Did Topilko break is fibula and shatter an ankle?Could be done for the year then if thats the case...not like he did much anywho.

Joe Hallenback
10-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Louis is out with a concussion. Might not be back for a while. Maybe we will get Setoguchi :p one can always wish :D

Triton
10-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Or Yellowhorn?I think Louis or Lenoski,Nichol,Dittmer,Strautman could all very well find themselves out of the picture by midseason.Also how come Sandell has only played 6 games?Why has he missed half of those?He will notch 85-90 pts next season.

WHEATMAN
10-17-2005, 08:44 PM
or hurt, i remember reading in the brandon sun, that he had the flu a few games back