PDA

View Full Version : Irving Settling In

Tipped Off
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Irving settling into top goalkeeper role

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Leland Irving was thrust into the Everett Silvertips' No. 1 goaltender position mere days before the start of the 2005-06 Western Hockey League season.

And so far the 17-year-old has held up under his new responsibilities.

Through the first three weeks of the season Irving has performed adequately, putting the Silvertips in position to win more often than not.

"He had a bad game against Kamloops and a bad first goal against Kelowna, other than that he's strung together some pretty good hockey right now," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said.

Irving became Everett's No. 1 when Michael Wall was traded to Regina prior to the season opener - Wall subsequently signed a professional contract with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

Now expected to carry a heavy load, Irving has started every game for Everett, going 3-3 with a 2.03 goals against average, .918 save percentage and recording his first shutout of the season last Sunday at Tri-City. Going into Saturday night's games he ranked fifth in the league in goals against average and eighth in save percentage.

Those numbers have steadily improved since letting in five goals in Everett's season-opening 6-4 loss at Kamloops.

"I started off slow, but the team's picked it up and my game's improved a lot," Irving said. "I'm feeling a lot more comfortable out there. Just getting comfortable with my angles and depth is the main thing."

Irving's been an iron man so far, playing all but two minutes of Everett's goalie time. He's been aided by the Silvertips' light schedule early in the season. But with undrafted 16-year-old rookie Matt Esposito serving as backup, Irving may have to maintain a similar pace the rest of the way.

"There's no reason why a goalie couldn't play this kind of pace for a whole season, if you never had back-to-back games and played once every three days," Constantine said. "You could keep going like that forever. We've got a lot of games coming up where we play four in a week and three in three nights and that may change things. We'll see as we go."

Irving has had no problems with the workload so far.

"I'm comfortable with the workload and the responsibility I have," Irving said. "I'm just having fun doing what I'm doing. I'm enjoying this challenge and being a part of this organization, and hopefully I can get these guys in good position to win each game."

Meanwhile, Esposito's early WHL education has come mainly through observation. Esposito, who beat out drafted 16-year-olds Chris Ward and Shayne Barrie for the backup spot, has racked up a grand total of 2 minutes, 5 seconds in net, all during Everett's 1-0 loss to Spokane on Oct. 5. Brought into that game to give Everett's skaters a quick breather during a power play, he still has yet to face his first WHL shot.

Nonetheless, Esposito valued his brief WHL debut.

"It was good to get in," Esposito said. "I understand what position I'm in now. Irv's playing good and the team's playing good, we're jelling, so we can't change anything right now."