PDA

View Full Version : Giants acquire Mikkelson From portland

Beaner
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
from, www.vancouvergiants.com,

The Vancouver Giants have acquired 18-year-old defenceman BRENDAN MIKKELSON from the Portland Winterhawks. In exchange, the Winterhawks receive 19-year-old defenceman MAX GORDICHUK, 17-year-old defenceman SCOTT GABRIEL, and future considerations.

Mikkelson is into his third season in the Western Hockey League. Selected by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 31st overall in the 2005 National Hockey League Entry Draft, the 6’3”, 190lbs. native of St. Albert, Alberta has established himself as one of the most prominent defencemen in the Western Hockey League. Into his third season of major junior hockey, Brendan has won a gold medal for Canada at the 2004 Under 18 Junior World Cup, a silver medal for Canada at the 2005 World Under 18 Championships, and a silver medal for Team Pacific at the 2004 World Under 17 Championships. He also attended the 2005 Canada World Junior Team Summer Evaluation Camp in Whistler, B.C. last August.

“Brendan is certainly one of the top blue-liners in his age group, not just in our league, but across the country,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. “He is certainly a welcome addition to our already solid corps of defenceman and will certainly be looked upon to play a big role for our club.”

Gordichuk is into his third season in the WHL. He was acquired by the Giants in a trade last year from the Kamloops Blazers. Gabriel is playing his first season of major junior hockey. He was picked by the Giants in the fourth round of the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft.

“Both Max and Scott are big defencemen who are also great kids, which made this a difficult deal to make,” adds Bonner. “I know the Winterhawks are looking forward to having both of them in their line-up and we wish the two of them the best of luck in Portland.”

Mikkelson will make his debut for Vancouver Friday night when the Giants host the Kelowna Rockets. Face off is 7:30pm at the Pacific Coliseum.

For a complete list of Mikkelson's statistics in the WHL, click here.

Interesting trade for the Giants. Not surprised at Gordichuk being moved, but Gabriel is a bit of head scratcher - I thought Gabriel had a lot of potential.

Stay-Puft
10-19-2005, 12:19 PM
I view it like they are loading up for the Memorial Cup run. They are looking at now and next year rather than a potential, especially when you have to give something to get something. It is a large package depending on what the future considerations are.

GF71
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Great trade for the Giants. They finllay got rid of their biggest plug. I would've liked to see what kind of player gabriel would have turned into, but he is at least a year away from becoming a regular. He REALLY needs to work on his foot speed. :groovy:

langdak
10-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I like this one

I have always been a fan of Mikkelson, he will look good in a giants uniform

As for the guys we are losing...

Gordichuk.......no comment....... :spineyes:

Gabriel....didnt really play enough to make a judgement on him, but he could potentially be a very good D man in the Dub.

rinkrat
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Why would Portland give up on Mikkleson?

Kassian
10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Very good trade for the Giants. I am quite surprised we actually got anything in return for Gordichuk. :laugh:

Beaner
10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
From the portland Winterhawks site.

Winter Hawks Make 3 for 1 Trade
Dean Vrooman - October 19, 2005

The Portland Winter Hawks today traded 18-year-old defenseman Brendan Mikkelson to the Vancouver Giants for 19-year-old defenseman Max Gordichuk, 17-year-old defenseman Scott Gabriel, and 15-year-old list player, center, Darcy Osmond.

Portland is hoping both players will be with the team when the Hawks play in Spokane on Friday and in Seattle Saturday before returning home to host the Everett Silvertips in a rematch of last year’s playoff series at 5:00 Sunday afternoon in the Rose Garden.

“This will be a good opportunity for Brendan. We know we had to give up a very skilled defenseman, but we felt with the make-up of our blue line, we had the depth on today’s roster to make this move,” said Winter Hawks’ General Manager Ken Hodge. “We feel Gordichuk can be a solid, steady influence on our blue line this year and we like Scott Gabriel’s grit and potential. He is a feisty player that has missed the last few games with a strained ligament in his knee, so we may not see him in our lineup immediately. Darcy Osmond gives us more depth for the future on our forward lines among 1990-born players.”

“This looked like an opportunity to help steady our own end this year and address our future at the same time,” Hodge added. “It hurt our depth chart when Eric Gryba (2nd round WHL Bantam Draft in 2004) chose not to join us this year and even though we always hope he and is family will change their mind about playing in the WHL, at some point you have to be realistic and do our best to address that issue.”

“Max Gordichuk plays in a steady fashion,” Hodge said. “He is a right shot, so now we have three players that can play comfortably on that side. Brendan Mikkelson is a very high quality young man and we were very proud to have him in our organization.”

Mikkelson, 6’3, 190, a 2nd round NHL draft choice of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, had just come back from a shoulder injury to score a shorthanded goal in the Hawks’ 6-2 loss to Saskatoon Sunday. He had (1-1-2) with 4 penalty minutes and an even plus-minus rating in 3 games this season. He finished his Winter Hawks’ career with (9-23-32) and 107 penalty minutes in 138 career WHL games.

Gordichuk is 6th round draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers in the 2004 NHL draft. He had (0-1-1) 2 penalty minutes and a –3 rating with the Giants this season. At 6’5, 225, Gordichuk, from Kelowna, B.C., he has played 135 career WHL games, starting his career in Kamloops in 2003-04. He was originally a first round WHL Bantam Draft choice, 15th overall, of the Regina Pats.

Gabriel, 6’4, 209, is from Edmonton, Alberta. He had (0-1-1) and 10 penalty minutes with a +1 rating in 3 games with Vancouver prior to the minor knee injury. Last season, paying AAA midget hockey in Edmonton, Gabriel had (3-7-10) with 140 penalty minutes in 36 games. Gabriel was chosen by the Giants in the 4th round of the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft.

Osmond, 5’11’, 160, from Lethbridge, Alberta, is currently playing with the Lethbridge Y-Men Midget Team. He was Vancouver’s 7th round selection, 147th overall, in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft. Last season, as a 14-year-old bantam, Osmond posted (35-29-64) with 87 penalty minutes playing AAA bantam for the Lethbridge Val Matteotti Golden Hawks in Alberta Major Bantam League.

Beaner
10-19-2005, 06:05 PM
The more I think about this the better it looks for both teams.

Vancouver gets a Top end D-man in Mikkelson for next years run. More than likely Gordichuk would not have been back next year and Gabriel still needs at least another full year in development before he is ready. More than likely he wouldnt have gotten the Ice time here to develop anyway, with both Blum and Egner ready to play full time minutes. This also gets Vancouver's roster down to 7 D-men, who can all play now, which works better than what we had before.

Portland gets 2 potentially great prospects, Gabriel and Osmond, and Gordichuk, who can help out where needed for this year.

Looking more and more that both teams got what they needed. Vancouver wins the trade short term for now, we will have to see how Gabriel and Osmond develop to see if who really won.

Beaner
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Mojo radio 730 has just reported that the Giants have talked with Brian Burke, and that Mikkelson will be back next year for the Memorial Cup run.

Big Daddy
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Well said Beaner, I agree 100%. Gabriel needs to definetly work on the foot speed but he is a tough kid and a hard worker. Gordichuk makes some bad decisions and for a big guy he's a little soft. I am not familiar with the forward in the trade. Bonner has got to be grinnin over this one. Anyone have any thoughts on the forward and goalie situation? Go Giants!!

langdak
10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Well said Beaner, I agree 100%. Gabriel needs to definetly work on the foot speed but he is a tough kid and a hard worker. Gordichuk makes some bad decisions and for a big guy he's a little soft. I am not familiar with the forward in the trade. Bonner has got to be grinnin over this one. Anyone have any thoughts on the forward and goalie situation? Go Giants!!

I am assuming you mean the forward & goalie situation for the Giants.

In goal i think we are more then set, Slade has proven he can be a top guy in the league, i am looking forward to watching him for the rest of the year.

In the backup spot, i think we have 2 young gems, Tommy T has proven (in the preseason) that he can play in the Dub with no problem, i am looking forward to watching him play in years to come too. As for Sexsmith, i hope his injury heals up so he can get back in some action, but from what i saw him play last year i was impressed and i beleive he will be a top quality goalie once he returns to play too.

As for the forward line, i am impressed thus far. Scoring has been spread around nicely, with the addition of Repik it has made things better then what i had originally thought they would be. Reese will make his return soon and should add some scoring touch as well. Of course there is a hole there with Brule not in the line up, but i think the other guys have stepped up and started to fill the void of Brule and Courchaine. With the possibility of Brule still coming back, it can only add to the scoring we already have, and if he does come back i hope he can gel with the rest of the guys.

If he gels with the rest, our front lines could be potentially lethal.

With the trade for Mikkelson and the play from Repik and Bliznak thus far, i am very excited for the rest of the season, although the season is still young but i have a very good feeling about this year.

Time will tell. :)

Beaner
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I agree with Langdak on the forward/goalie situation. Our goaltending situation fine for this year and the next, provided Sexsmith recovers from his injury.

The thing I really like about the Forward lines this year is for the first time in a long time all the forwards are working together to generate both offense, and defense. A group of forwards who are generating 30+ shots per game on average, and all work very hard on the backcheck. A little more finish around the net would be nice, but that will come with time.

Having the #1 Penalty kill is as much a testimant to the Defense as it is to the Forwards, and Don Hay rolls 4 PK units out there thru the entire game, which is very impressive.

It looks like Don has sold the team on hard work will get you wins and playing time, and the entire team has bought in. It is very nice to see.

I am very happy with the team so far this year, and getting Mikkelson has just made a good team even better. :)

N.W. Bruin
10-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Mojo radio 730 has just reported that the Giants have talked with Brian Burke, and that Mikkelson will be back next year for the Memorial Cup run.

No surprise there considering Mikkelson would have to be back if he didn't crack the Mighty Ducks line-up as he will still be underaged. Burke saying that is just stating the fact. (Only possible other option is a deal between the Giants and Burke's Chilliwack Bruins).

What I would really like Burke to say is Festerling will be sent back as an overage next season. That would help.