PDA

View Full Version : O.T-My 2 week work placement

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I am in grade 12 and every year since grade 10 each student in my school has to go out and work for two weeks twice,(in grade 12 one 2 week placement and one 3 week work placement is required) to earn a credit towards graduation, I think this program is good(but when other people in my school said that it is bad because some places just take advantage of the work ed student,but that is part of the world of work).not to be taken advantage of but to know that some jobs require more work to be done. Anyways ever since grade 10 I have always been interested in Sports Broadcasting and Sports Play By Play. For this placement my main goal was to go to a radio or TV station to get an idea of what it is like to work in a radio/TV station and all of the other jobs involved in radio/TV broadcasting. I was very excited to hear that I will be doing my workplacement at HOT 93 FM,So I went for the interveiw today and I was just expecting to observe all of the different types of jobs that go on at the radio station,So my supervisor asked me what type of radio broadcasting I am interested in and I said Sports and Play By Play and so he could set it up so I could go sit in the broadcast booth with Les Lazaruk and Dave Thomas and observe the next two home games Wed Vs Kootenay and Friday Vs Regina from their point of veiw and how things run in the broadcast booth. I was very suprised and excited when my supervisor told me that I could do this. This should be a good experience for me and i hope to persue a career in this area of work.

J23
10-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy it! I did work placement when I was in grade 12, and I had a blast! Definately worth putting the effort into because you can gain some great experience! Have fun!!!! :thumb:

BLEEDBLUE333
10-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Wow that is unreal man, cherish the moment because im sure there are many other sports fans youth to teen aged who would love to be in that position (including me).... Also kind of wondering what high school u go to because i am in grade 12 as well and im am taking career exploration next semester so was wondering if i could make that a possibility or something along those lines for me in that class.

But yeah have fun and make sure to make yourself known on the radio in the 2 games

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Wow that is unreal man, cherish the moment because im sure there are many other sports fans youth to teen aged who would love to be in that position (including me).... Also kind of wondering what high school u go to

But yeah have fun and make sure to make yourself known on the radio in the 2 games

Yes I will cherish and enjoy the moment and take full advantage of this oppertunity, I go to Bishop Murray High School, as far as them letting me voice my opinion on the radio I do not think they would let me do that,this will be my first time working in a radio station and with sports anouncers, but anything could happen though. :spineyes: It will great not having to go to school for 9 days(it is a 2 week placement,i know) but one day(touchback Day) at school is ment for us to talk about the placement and the good and bad expereinces of it so far.

Tidball
10-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I am in grade 12 and every year since grade 10 each student in my school has to go out and work for two weeks twice,(in grade 12 one 2 week placement and one 3 week work placement is required) to earn a credit towards graduation, I think this program is good(but when other people in my school said that it is bad because some places just take advantage of the work ed student,but that is part of the world of work).not to be taken advantage of but to know that some jobs require more work to be done. Anyways ever since grade 10 I have always been interested in Sports Broadcasting and Sports Play By Play. For this placement my main goal was to go to a radio or TV station to get an idea of what it is like to work in a radio/TV station and all of the other jobs involved in radio/TV broadcasting. I was very excited to hear that I will be doing my workplacement at HOT 93 FM,So I went for the interveiw today and I was just expecting to observe all of the different types of jobs that go on at the radio station,So my supervisor asked me what type of radio broadcasting I am interested in and I said Sports and Play By Play and so he could set it up so I could go sit in the broadcast booth with Les Lazaruk and Dave Thomas and observe the next two home games Wed Vs Kootenay and Friday Vs Regina from their point of veiw and how things run in the broadcast booth. I was very suprised and excited when my supervisor told me that I could do this. This should be a good experience for me and i hope to persue a career in this area of work.

I want you to be the next voice of the Blades after Les Lazaruck. "Work hard, it'll come" lol BB King said that to me last night.

Bran
10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
We had a class you could take in high school where you do two two month work placements. It would be similar to what you're doing, except over a longer period of time. Try to get on their good side...I know quite a few people who got permanent jobs out of their work placements in high school! Maybe they'll let you hang around awhile longer.

By the way, how did your little stint with the play by play guys go? Learn a lot from them?

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-31-2005, 04:39 PM
We had a class you could take in high school where you do two two month work placements. It would be similar to what you're doing, except over a longer period of time. Try to get on their good side...I know quite a few people who got permanent jobs out of their work placements in high school! Maybe they'll let you hang around awhile longer.

By the way, how did your little stint with the play by play guys go? Learn a lot from them?

I wish I could get a job out of it but I do want to be a Sports Broadcaster, Play By Play or even do colour commentary, I will most likely have to take a course at the western Broadcasting College here in Saskatoon. I did learn some new tricks of the trade(From what I could hear anyways because they had headphones and I did not),but nontheless it was an awesome experience for me. :thumb: Yes next semetser in June (I beleve) I will be going on a 3 week work placement and I have a good idea as to where i will go.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-04-2005, 05:47 PM
My work placement offically ended today. I had an AWESOME time, met a lot of cool people and even some who work for the Blades. So I will be going back to school on Monday, I learned alot from all of the departments I was able to observe.

Tidball
11-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I read in the Star Pheonix today that a 17 year old kid wants to become a broadcaster for the Blades. I'm guessin that was you, right on man. Sweet article.

PS: Did Mr Paz ever teach you?

Billy Blade
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Yep, I saw that in there today too. Everyone check it out if you have the paper or online edition. :D Big picture and article on page B5. Good job!

Triton
11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Great story.I read it online but was unable to view the picture.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-21-2005, 03:49 PM
I read in the Star Pheonix today that a 17 year old kid wants to become a broadcaster for the Blades. I'm guessin that was you, right on man. Sweet article.

PS: Did Mr Paz ever teach you?
Yes the article was all about me, and yes Mr.Paz does teach my English class, he is very funny guy and cool teacher :thumb:
Thank you all for your kind words.

BLEEDBLUE333
11-21-2005, 05:25 PM
It seems me and you have a lot in common....not only are we both avid blades fans (although i would probably give the edge to as being the more fanatic of the two) and 17 year old grade 12 students....we BOTH were born prematurely and have the exact same problem as a result of it.... affecting of the hamstrings and as a result an affect on walking and movements.

It was almost as though i was reading an article of what could have been myself, however i am maybe not that ambitious haha.....but I am also looking more into doing sportswrting for the blades as opposed to radio broadcasting.

Keep being a fan!

:groovy:

WHEATMAN
11-21-2005, 08:04 PM
would you be able to post a link? thanks!

Triton
11-21-2005, 09:21 PM
would you be able to post a link? thanks!

Here's the article instead.

Hooked on hockey

Silas Polkinghorne
The StarPhoenix

Monday, November 21, 2005

Michael Kieluk is all about the Saskatoon Blades.

The 17-year-old has Blades jerseys, a Blades t-shirt, a Blades cap, and a head full of Blades trivia. Someday, he hopes to have the Blades in his job description.

An aspiring broadcaster, Kieluk has recently completed a work placement at Hot 93 FM, including a spot shadowing Les Lazaruk, who calls the Blades games.

"Yeah, that would be the dream job," said Kieluk, who would like to do play-by-play or colour commentary and isn't choosy about radio or television.

"It was pretty fun," said Kieluk, a Grade 12 Bishop Murray High School student, of watching a game from the broadcast booth at Credit Union Centre. "You had the whole atmosphere of them broadcasting."

Kieluk is a long-time sports fan. "[Hockey's] just been a sport that interested me when I was younger, and I just followed it from there on." His sights are now set on broadcasting, but Kieluk has seen some difficult times.

In 2003, Kieluk's father, Dwayne, died tragically in a highway traffic accident.

Kieluk was close to his father and the pair shared an interest in sports. When Kieluk was nine or 10, his dad gave him a binder full of hockey cards.

"That's how I got my hockey card collection started," he explained. Those hockey cards, in turn, helped spur on Kieluk's devotion to hockey.

Kieluk said his father would be proud that he's striving for his goal of becoming a broadcaster.

Dealing with his father's death has been a struggle for Kieluk, who along with his twin sister, Michele, was born prematurely.

As a result, Kieluk has mild cerebral palsy, affecting his hamstrings, which in turn affects his walking and movement.

"It's just a part of me," he said. "In elementary school, I've been bugged for it, but whatever, I just go on with my life. It doesn't really bother me. [But] at times it did, because it got overwhelming."

In Grade 7 or 8, he decided he didn't care what his peers said. "People can say what they want, it doesn't really affect me."

Kieluk also struggled with school and was referred to Bishop Murray because of the tutorial time and extra help from teachers that is available. "It's been a good experience here," he said. "I'm glad I came here."

Now he keeps up steady marks and focuses on his goal of attending the Western Academy Broadcasting College in Saskatoon. But Kieluk knows his first job probably won't be broadcasting the Blades. "I'd have to start out in a small town when I first start broadcasting, and then work my way up from there," he said. Kieluk wants to work close to home, or "wherever there's a good opportunity to work in broadcasting." For fun, Kieluk participates in a weekly bowling league and plays hockey with his friends in the winter. He's also an avid computer guy, and keeps busy with NHL and WHL online message boards, taking part in the latest hockey chatter

WHEATMAN
11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
thanks, article sounded interesting

Tidball
11-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Yes the article was all about me, and yes Mr.Paz does teach my English class, he is very funny guy and cool teacher :thumb:
Thank you all for your kind words.

Mr Paz taught me as well. His is prolly right up there in my top 3 fav teachers ever. I have been taught by about at least 80 different teachers.

ofhdhdy
11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Very nice. I myself want to become a broadcaster, reporter, or sports journalist but for a NHL team. I go to St. Joes in Saskatoon.

Triton
11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Very nice. I myself want to become a broadcaster, reporter, or sports journalist but for a NHL team. I go to St. Joes in Saskatoon.

What does ofhdhdy stand for?

ofhdhdy
11-22-2005, 06:54 PM
I just typed a random username when i signed up and this is what i came up with.