10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Silvertips update
Today's game

Opponent: Seattle Thunderbirds

When: 7:05 p.m.

Where: KeyArena, Seattle

Radio: KRKO (1380 AM)

Hair razing

The Everett Silvertips are going for the first five-game winning streak in franchise history tonight.

And that may spell doom for coach Kevin Constantine's red locks.

The long-standing agreement between Constantine and the players is if Everett wins five in a row, Constantine will shave his head. Should Everett win tonight, it'll be time to break out the clippers.

"I'm hoping everyone forgets it," Constantine said with grin. "But trying to be an honorable guy I suppose I'd honor the arrangement.

"I'd probably make that trade with any team any day because winning five in a row is so hard to do," Constantine added. "If you ever ran into a team that kept your head shaved all year you'd set a record for wins. But we're close and if we do it I guess a lot of hair - well, not much hair because I don't have that much - but even more hair will fall off my head."

The Tips have come close to shaving Constantine's head in the past, having won four straight three times. But the fifth win has proven elusive. They're hoping tonight is the breakthrough.

"I'd like to see him Bic it," center Mark Kress said with a laugh. "I'd like to see Cons bald as can be. I'm really looking forward to it and the guys are too, so we're going to be coming out hard (today)."

Scouting report: Tonight is the first of 11 meetings between I-5 rivals Everett and Seattle this season.

Seattle (1-5-1-1), the defending U.S. Division champion, is a team in disarray. After opening the season by beating Prince George, the T-birds have lost seven straight, their coach remains stuck in Canada because of a visa snafu, and their captain Aaron Gagnon is shelved because of a hand injury. But Seattle has had good success against Everett at home, going 4-0-1 against the Silvertips at KeyArena last season.

Seattle has struggled offensively, scoring a league-low 15 goals in eight games, and the T-birds are a pitiful 4-for-67 on the power play. Nineteen-year-old left wing Roman Tomanek (three goals, two assists), 20-year-old center Tyler Johnson (two goals, three assists), 16-year-old defenseman Thomas Hickey (one goals, four assists) and 19-year-old center Ladislav Scurko (one goal, four assists) are tied for the team lead in points with five. The T-birds need 18-year-old center Chris Durand (two goals) to pick up the production.

In goal, 20-year-old Bryan Bridges (1-6, 3.65 goals against average, .898 save percentage) is not putting up the same numbers as his MVP-caliber season last year.

Slap shots: The Silvertips are celebrating Halloween during Sunday's game against Brandon. Fans are encouraged to wear costumes and the best costume will win a Silvertips prize package. After the game the Silvertips are holding the first annual Trick or Treat with the Tips, with fans 14 and under wearing costumes able to trick or treat around the concourse and receive candy from the players. ... Portland sent highly-regarded 18-year-old defenseman Brendan Mikkelson to Vancouver in exchange for 19-year-old defenseman Max Gordichuk, 17-year-old defenseman Scott Gabriel and 15-year-old forward Darcy Osmond. ... Former Silvertip center Jovan Matic was released by Vancouver.

Nick Patterson, Herald writer

rinkrat
10-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Thats a great article! Kudos to KC...I hope to see a bald coach in Vancouver next Friday.Good luck,tips!
BTW the game in Vancouver next Friday is Gordie Howe night.Check this out.
http://www.vancouvergiants.com/

Hope to see lots of Tip fans in town for the game.