PDA

View Full Version : Barker sent down

In the crowd
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
From NHL.com

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that defenseman Cam Barker has been sent back to Medicine Hat of the Western Hockey League.
Barker, 19, made his NHL debut on October 14th at Colorado in a 3-2 shootout win. He was the Blackhawks’ 1st round draft choice (3rd overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

“At this time, we feel this is the best thing for Cam,” said General Manager Dale Tallon. “It’s better for him to play a lot of minutes in junior than to not play as much up here. Cam had a solid camp and we’re really excited about his future. Cam will probably be a leader on this year’s Canadian World Junior Championship Team.”

Barker was a member of the 2005 Canadian World Junior Championship Team that captured the Gold Medal.

bandwagonboy
10-21-2005, 07:36 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens next. Personally I think the best thing for the future of the club would be to move him. When you consider the games that he has missed, the games that he will miss to the world jr's he'll probably play even fewer games in a tiger uniform this year than he did last year. If they can get a couple of good 18 year olds for him that would be a good trade in my mind.

Does anyone know when he'll be back? Or are the rumors true that he doesn't want to come back here?

loudi94
10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Does anyone know when he'll be back? Or are the rumors true that he doesn't want to come back here?

I think it's a mutual feeling. They could get some quality players for him, so I see him being moved.

bandwagonboy
10-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Well he was by far the best player on the ice tonight. I think the addressed many of their weaknesses. Their defencive zone passing was much improved, he added punch on the powerplay, he added offence even in regular strength. And tonight he played physical all game long.

I think they need to decide just what the goal of this team is this year. If it's to contend for a WHL title then judging by what Barker added to the team tonight it would be a huge mistake to move him. I thought he addressed all the Tiger's main weak points. If they want to rebuild for a Memorial Cup contender for next year then trade him, but not for someone like Barnes. Firstly there's no way that Barnes could bring as much to the table as Barker can, and secondly Barnes will most likely not be in the league next year either. If they trade Barker they should get at least two outstanding 17-18 year old prospects and nothing less.

Tigerfan96
10-26-2005, 04:08 PM
I talked to cam and hes looking at playing here positive. He said its a good oportunity to get better and have some fun. He is disapointed that he was sent back. But non the less is realy happy to be back in town.

bandwagonboy
10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
I've never seen him play like this. I just hope he keeps it up for the whole season. It's so wonderful to see him playing the way we know he can.

Not only is he adding offense, but the defence is so much better with him in the lineup. Every young d-man out there seems to be playing a bit better. Not only is he helping the team this year, but he's helping it for seasons to come as guys like Baldwin, Schlemko, Glass, ect ect are playing better and learning from him.

His return just couldn't have worked out better so far. I just hope it stays like this.